INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: wow. anvils cost ALOT!!!!!  (Read 834 times)

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
wow. anvils cost ALOT!!!!!
« on: September 24, 2008, 09:04:00 PM »
i was looking for an anvil and i didnt expect for some of them to be 1500 dollars.   even some of the smaller ones cost 500.  anyone happen to know where to get one cheaper or know of something else that will work as one?
have i not commanded you? be strong and of good courage;be not afraid or discouraged:for the Lord your God is with you where ever you go. joshua 1:9

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: wow. anvils cost ALOT!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 09:11:00 PM »
Check antique shops, flea markets, yard sales, and classified adds. I bought a 133# anvil at a yard sale for $50. It may take awhile but you can find them.
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 09:28:00 PM »
ok thanks
have i not commanded you? be strong and of good courage;be not afraid or discouraged:for the Lord your God is with you where ever you go. joshua 1:9

Offline Wampus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 10:01:00 PM »
Yup, I happened to see an ad in the local paper when I lived in Kingsville, TX and got a 165# Hay Budden for $65.  That was about 15 years ago though.  My sister's neighbor recently gave her a Peter Wright that weighs about 150# for taking care of their horses when they are gone.  She doesn't use it and won't sell it though.  She keeps it out in her flower garden as an "antique".
Chuck Robinson makes a cool 5" square post style anvil in Mississippi for about $350 last time I saw him. Lots of knife makers really like them.  The stand is extra.  http://www.dfoggknives.com/Anvil.htm

Basically any solid piece of steel about 4" across will work.  Some have used old forks from big industrial forklifts, train or truck axles, etc from scrapyards.  Stay away from cast iron anvils at the big tool warehouses or on ****.  You really need it to be steel.

Offline cdworks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 12:21:00 AM »
i seen one around here...it had stamped on it 1896 or some crazy old date and it was a littler one like i could probably barely pick it up ... and it was $300  it was sooo cool lookin too it had a square hole and a round one in it
C.D.Works

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 05:38:00 AM »
pieces of RR track too!
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline woodsman1031

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 06:24:00 AM »
Beaver#1,

I put the word out last Christmas to my family that I wanted an anvil. I know alot of them frequent garage sales. I recieved one from a family member that only heard what I wanted and bought me a new one. It was from Harbor Freight and it is not heavy duty at all. The other day I peened a friction folder pin using the anvil as a stop for the other side. The anvil recieved a dent from the soft mild steel pin!

I have not attempted to forge anything yet, but I know that this anvil will not hold up.

I am sure you know your way around anvils. This is the best place to ask about them. I did not and I have a 55lb door stopper that takes up ALOT of room on my bench.

Tommy
Jesus Saves!

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 07:25:00 AM »
i have 2 peices of rail road iron, one is big and wide and one is narrow and smaaler.  thinki might try and turn the big one upsidedown and use the bottom for beating and the smaller one for turn or bending stuff. sound good?

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 07:42:00 AM »
The best way to use a RR track is to turn it on end.  It has too much spring to it otherwise.  

I started out on a shop-made spike anvil.  It has a 1.5" square face and I still like it.  I now have a ~70# Vulcan... cast body with steel plate face.  Not the greatest rebound and not suitable for real heavy smithing, but it's quiet (for the neighbors) and was around $120 to-my-door.

A really cheap and available anvil for knifesmithing is to go to the local hardware store and buy the biggest sledge they have.  Bore a hole in a stump and sink one end into it - instant anvil!  Leave part of the handle and you have a place to hang your tools.

Go to anvilfire.com and look through their anvil sections.  There are lots of good alternative anvil ideas.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Wampus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 09:48:00 PM »
Tim Lively in Texas recommends using a 4x4x14 piece of mild steel set in a bucket of concrete for extra mass.  He's got pics on his website.  http://64.176.180.203/homemadeanvils.htm

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©