INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: coal, where do you get yours  (Read 1263 times)

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
coal, where do you get yours
« on: October 20, 2008, 05:32:00 PM »
i got part of a bag o coal froma guy that used to build knives.  i tried it out and it burns pretty good and a heck of alot longer than charcoal.  where do you guys get your coal for your forges?  thatnks
Beaver
have i not commanded you? be strong and of good courage;be not afraid or discouraged:for the Lord your God is with you where ever you go. joshua 1:9

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: coal, where do you get yours
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 07:59:00 PM »
anyone?
have i not commanded you? be strong and of good courage;be not afraid or discouraged:for the Lord your God is with you where ever you go. joshua 1:9

Offline Wampus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 08:18:00 PM »
Built my first propane forge in '92 and never looked back.  Might check with ABANA to see if there's a local chapter that can get some leads.

http://magichammer.freeservers.com/New_Folder/TX.htm

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 08:24:00 PM »
thanks wampus,  is the propain more cost efficiant

Offline Wampus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 08:31:00 PM »
Don't know about cost, but it's a whole lot easier to find and way easier to work with.  The only fire tending involved is adjusting a couple of valves and the airflow and then once it's set, it runs the same for as long as you want or until your tank runs out.  Coal is a pain to keep going just right IMO and it's dirty and smokes up the neighborhood.  Some prefer coal, and it has that certain rustic charm I suppose, but I wouldn't switch back if you gave me free coal for life.

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 08:43:00 PM »
i have thought about going the propain route but i didnt know how long a tank would last, i cant go buy a refill every week.what kind of burner do you use?

Offline kbaknife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 07:22:00 AM »
When the last deer disappears into the morning mist,
When the last elk vanishes from the hills,
When the last buffalo falls on the plains,
I will hunt mice for I am a hunter and I must have my freedom.
Chief Joseph

Offline Wampus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 07:33:00 AM »
I built a copy of Don Fogg's gas forge from his website.   http://www.dfoggknives.com/forge.htm
I couldn't find a discarded gas cyl at the time so I got some 10" stainless pipe and some stainles plate from a scrapyard and welded that up for the body.  It works great for general forging but flux tends to run down the sides and eat up the lining when forge welding damascus.  I built a horizontal version of the same thing for forge welding with a kiln shelf floor in it that stands up to flux a lot better.  They both use the same burner so I just swap it back and forth depending on which forge I use.  The vertical uses less gas.
I invested in a 50# propane cylinder so I don't have to get it refilled as often.

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 09:37:00 AM »
anybody else use coal?

Offline tomh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 10:01:00 AM »
sometimes the feed and farm co-ops have coal by the bag.

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 11:26:00 AM »
thanks tomh i have not thought of that

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2008, 11:30:00 AM »
I find it in my socks on Christmas.     :biglaugh:

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.
"Failure is an attitude, not an outcome."  -Harvey Mackay

:archer:               MikeD.

Offline LAR43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2008, 01:43:00 PM »
Google blacksmith's coal or farrier's supplies. It contains less sulphur than regular coal.

Most guys have gone to propane. It's easier to get, cleaner to store & doesn't leave clinkers in the bottom of the forge.
Making & tending a smith's coal fire takes some learning & practice. Usually, unless you're in an open area, the smoke & smell from a coal forge starts to offend neighbors & firemen pretty quickly.

Other than the dull roar of a propane forge, there's not much else about propane that will get you the attention of your neighbors or the local F.D.

There's lot's of pro's & con's re. coal, it's definitely classic & more traditional, but IMHO,
propane is more convenient & easier all around.

Larry
Age brings us the priceless gift of experience and knowledge. . . Priceless, but not free.

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2008, 02:00:00 PM »
i did find a place to get coal(centuar forge).  i like the coal but was wondering which one was the cheapest to run if you are going to run your forge alot.  the coal i found was $22.00 for a 50 lbs bag.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©