INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Paracord Wrap-a-long  (Read 2716 times)

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Paracord Wrap-a-long
« on: October 23, 2008, 11:45:00 AM »
I'll give it a try  :)

What is paracord:
"Parachute cord (also paracord or 550 cord) is a lightweight nylon kernmantle rope originally used in the suspension lines of US parachutes during World War II. Once in the field, paratroopers found this cord useful for many other tasks. It is now used as a general purpose utility cord by both military personnel and civilians. This versatile cord was even used by astronauts during STS-82, the second Space Shuttle mission to repair the Hubble Space Telescope.

The braided sheath has a high number of interwoven strands for its size, giving it a relatively smooth texture. The all nylon construction makes paracord fairly elastic; depending on the application this can be either an asset or a liability."

There are seven inner nylon strands.  These can be left in place or pulled out.  Other cordage can be used too ie. climbing rope, shoelaces, etc.  Even larger diameter cord will work if you remove the inner strands.

The bottom two cords are true 550 paracord.

The inner nylon can easily be pulled out to make a thin flat cord or sealed in.  

When you heat seal the end, you want to make the tip more pointed so it will go through the hole in your knife handle easier.

OK, Here's what you need to get started:
1) Length of paracord usually 6-10 feet.
2) Knife with holes drilled in handle. I use 1/4 drill bit.  You can always put any kind of hard handle on later by just drilling your pining holes smaller through the handle material and through the larger 1/4 inch hole as the epoxy will hold everything tight.
3) Water to soak the paracord...remember the description of paracord being stretchy?  Well by wetting and squeezing the water out of the cord, it seems to pull tighter with less spring back...therefore a handle that won't loosen up after use.
4) Needle nose pliers if you are having to pull the ends through the hole on the end.  Nothing worse than getting done with the wrap and not being able to push the loose ends through the hole.  If you let go of the wrap looking for the pliers, the entire wrap unwinds   :knothead:  
5) Thin piece of wood to push the wraps down and tight as you wrap.  Seems like a nice piece of Osage make it more Traditional  :)

Go get your materials as I'm going to my tree stand...Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Paracord Wrap-a-long
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 11:57:00 AM »
Ah-ha, glad to see this in the works, Doc - thanks. (Good luck in the stand - smile.)
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 03:52:00 PM »
Naaaawwww!  :(

Hunt later! Wrap Now!

:D  :D  :D

Good luck out there Doc!
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 07:39:00 PM »
Small correction.... the two cords are "450 cord" with five strands inside.  "550" cord has seven.  The only true 550 cord I have ever laid hands on was OD, so, generally speaking, if it isn't OD, it is most likely 450.

Nitpicky I know, and for this application, a bit of worthless knowledge.

Great cord along though!

Mike
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 09:07:00 PM »
Well Mike looks like I need to get my money back on this 600 foot spool for false advertising  :)   Doc

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 09:21:00 PM »
come on doc more please never mind the hunting  :coffee:    :coffee:    :coffee:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline theunluckyhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 09:29:00 PM »
awww you cant leave me hanging like this!!!!!
anything can happen on a texas friday night, if you dont mind your manners you dont mind a fight

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 10:50:00 PM »
Clamp your knife in a vice.  After wetting and squeezing the excess water out of the cord, divide it in half and push through the bottom handle hole.

Take the loop over the end of the handle back to the original side.

Pull the cord tight and go over the looped piece back to the other side.  Important thing now is the cord is always under tension so it stays very tight til you finish.  Good thing is you will be done in 10 minutes or less!

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 06:01:00 AM »
AND!!!!! I've been holding this cord tight for 7 HOURS!!!

:D

How'd the hunt go?
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 07:24:00 AM »
Rob, tie it to your vice handle and give your arms a rest, or  your  knives are going to suffer -   :D

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2008, 07:27:00 AM »
I'm really proud of all of you that have held the cord tight over night...my Core TG group!

Final Push:

There are all sorts of wraps and designs you can apply to the handle...just check U-tube.  What I like adds a rib down the center of the handle not only giving great grip but adding a fuller rounded feel to the grip.

You twist the cord 2 times and pull it tight Not front to back But side to side.  Then take it to the other side and repeat.

Important Points:
1)  Always twist the same way.  That is right over left or left over right (no difference) BUT once you do the twist...Always repeat it the same way.
2) You will start forming a ridge going up the center of the handle.  Keep the line even.

Keep it tight.  Don't worry about getting the layers compressed...that comes next.

After going around the handle once on each side, hold you loose ends in one hand (that word again...Tight) and use that piece of wood to compress the wraps down.

Now just work your way up the handle compressing the wrap after going around the handle each time.

Now hold it...Coffee break.
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2008, 10:45:00 AM »
Let's finish this up.  By now you have the wrap to the top handle hole.  Make sure you compress the last wrap.  Go around the handle without a twist, hold the lose ends on the the edge of the handle, and insert ends through the handle hole.  This is where you might need the needle nose pliers if you can't get the second loose end through.  

To finish just tie a one throw over hand knot...Finished!

You can tie off the remaining cord with simple knot or get real fancy with some of the braiding styles.  Here is the finished knife in bright yellow and drab green...paracord 550 seven strand core!  I was hoping to show another color of bright red but the deer didn't cooperate last night  :)

Last Comment: Why use paracord when you can handle a knife out in something real purrty?

For me a hunting knife is all about the edge and the grip.  The texture of paracord is superior when it is wet, slimy, and greasy...kinda like when you dress out a deer, bear, hog, or whatever.  It will clean up after field use with hot soapy water but it will carry an odor after too many uses.  Not a problem for me cause I can replace it in less than 10 minutes.  I do have some purrty handled knives but my knives for the field are all paracord.  I need my fingers for surgery so I can buy more steel and paracord  :)  

Hope you can follow it.  Just remember it took you a little while to learn to tie your shoes.  This is just a start...now lets see some Real Fancy paracord braided handles.  Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2008, 11:48:00 AM »
Thanks Tippit - Real easy to follow, I just might give that a try.
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2008, 12:37:00 PM »
Thanks, Doc- ya done good - and good pics too. I hope they will eventually put it in the "How To" forum.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2008, 06:58:00 PM »
I printed it off, just in case - and for easy reference at the bench - when I get around to doing it - LOL. Thanks again.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2008, 02:07:00 AM »
Very neat Doc!!! Always have liked your wrapped handles.

I personally have seen 550 cord in 3 colors now: OD, Tan, and Foliage (replacing OD as the Army's based color).

Doc, you would be in heaven if you seen the rolls of 550 we keep on hand. There are only about 5 things the Army issues that I consider must keeps and 550 is at the top. Think I use it almost as much as 100 MPH tape (Army duct tape).

This is an awesome how to!!!

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2008, 06:02:00 AM »
great job thanks Doc. that flared out finger guard looks real good to!   :thumbsup:
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2008, 08:01:00 PM »
Well....

Not sure if things have changed, but I do know that there are companies that claim it's 550, but it really isn't mil spec 550....

So if things have changed, I stand corrected.  

Either way, a minor difference in terminology and I'm sure that just about everyone would know what you were talking about if you said "550" and it was "450"....

And good build along to go with your great knives!

Mike
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline Larry Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2008, 08:42:00 PM »
Doc, Thanks for sharing.  I like it!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2008, 09:25:00 PM »
Hey Mike,  Thanks for   :thumbsup:  on the build along...but where do you find military spec paracord?  Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©