INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Is this Iron wood  (Read 1120 times)

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
Is this Iron wood
« on: November 06, 2008, 09:52:00 PM »
This was given to me and the guy did not know what type of wood it was nore do I.Real heavy ???? thanks.bowdoc

Offline theunluckyhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Is this Iron wood
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 09:57:00 PM »
is it oily?
anything can happen on a texas friday night, if you dont mind your manners you dont mind a fight

Offline Mallardstacker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 09:59:00 PM »
Looks like Manzanita to me, especially with the deep red.  Beautiful wood!

EDIT:
On second thought, I think you might be right in thinking its iron wood.  I have some manzanita that has dried and looks a lot like the picture you have above except just a little "smoother" on its surface.  

Its still beautiful no matter what it is!

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 10:17:00 PM »
Looks like it could be Ironwood or Cocobolo
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline 2Knives

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 11:01:00 PM »
I was thinking cocobolo, looks too red to be ironwood to me...but I'm no expert!!!!!!!!
USAF AMMO Retired

Shoot True!!!
Don't Squat with your Spurs on!

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 05:19:00 AM »
Sure looks like it to me.
Most of the ironwood I have seen "in the rough" is very weathered gray on the outside, and rich colors on the inside that can vary from red to brown and yellow.
Ironwood has a distinctive smell when you work it, once you smell it you'll recognize it.  I find it offensive to my sensitive nose.  So I'll wear a dust mask and put a fan in my face.
Dan

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 06:00:00 AM »
Dan is right on! And do wear a mask...if not, your nose, and perhaps lungs, will get irritated.

This stuff is dense, and you need a fresh bandsaw blade and try to cut slowly- otherwise you will likely burn the wood and heat up your blade.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 06:05:00 AM »
I think your right on the iron wood.It does have a bit of odd smell to it and had my eye's itching like mad yesterday.Thanks dude's your the best.....bowdoc

Offline skullworks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 06:34:00 AM »
Looks like it to me but cocobolo can be very "irritating" also!
'cuz deer huntin' ain't catch & release!

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2008, 07:01:00 AM »
Here's a pic of the flip side.Don't know if it will help or not.I've made several bow risers from cocobolo.This wood did not smell or taste the same and it's about 2-3 times heavier.Really hard and I had to sand alot to get rid of the otter layers.It looks like it was in the sun for 50 years.But still a bit oily-ish maybe ?? Thanks guy's for your help.bowdoc

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2008, 07:16:00 AM »
This is the end cut.Kind of hard to see the grain ???  

Offline kbaknife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2008, 07:17:00 AM »
From your last post and the closeup photo, I'm thinking Cocobolo.
Remaining "oily" for a long time is a giveaway.
I can't even work the stuff anymore. At first everything was fine, and then I acquired an adversity to it. My eyes will almost swell shut!
When the last deer disappears into the morning mist,
When the last elk vanishes from the hills,
When the last buffalo falls on the plains,
I will hunt mice for I am a hunter and I must have my freedom.
Chief Joseph

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2008, 07:57:00 AM »
that flip side does NOT look like ironwood. If its oily when cut (try some acetone on a rag, and wipe the cut wood. If it really gets colored on the rag with some orangey looking color you know what it is.

I cannot even saw coco without sneezing, with respirator on!!!!!!!
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2008, 08:54:00 AM »
ah then that may very well be cocobolo.I know the same woods can very alot sometimes in quality color and apperance.They can also affect you differently sometimes pending how much your inhaleing.Whats that dusk mask thingie you guy's are talking about look like ? Thanks guy's bd

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2008, 08:58:00 AM »
MINE IS A FULL RESPIRATOR WITH CARTRIDGES ON EACH SIDE...LOOKS LIKE A GERM WARFARE THING...NO GOGGLES OR EYE COVER THOUGH, JUST STRAP ON TOP OF HEAD AND ONE AROUND NECK.

RAN ME ABOUT 40 BUCKS PLUS REPLACEABLE CARTRIDGES. i USE IT WITH ALL STAINS, PAINTS, SEALERS, VARNISHES, AND WHEN CUTTING ALL WOOD WITH EITHER GRINDERS OR BANDSAWS OR BELT SANDERS.

i'M HOPING IT ADDS YEARS TO MY LIFE.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2008, 09:26:00 AM »
I never did use the paper type dust masks much,I chew.I do have the cartridge type I use for spraying.I never spray finish without it and guess I better start using it for sanding too.Hey Ray here's a great little tip for that type respirator.The replacement cartridges run darn near as much as a new mask.So I been using a rubber band and banding a paper coffee filter over the cartridge.I just change the coffee filter about 6-8 times while spraying.It catches about 75% of the stuff and the cartridges last about 3 times longer.bd

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2008, 10:27:00 AM »
great idea!

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2008, 08:30:00 PM »
Ask OL Adcock what working with exotics without a mask/dust-catcher can do to you.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2008, 07:45:00 AM »
That's why paracord is sooo nice  :)   I use a dust mask in All my Grinding...wood & metal!  If you smell anything, it ain't working.  Try blowing you nose without using a dust mask then next time you sand with one on.  Look at the results on a white kleanx.  Then imagine all the particles that make it past your nose into your lungs.  If your a chronic smoker...forget the dust mask!  Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2008, 08:56:00 AM »
OH yes guy's I always wear dust or cartridge type mask when sanding spraying and lately even when I sweep up.Just to be on the safe side.bd

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©