INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: my cheapo set up  (Read 981 times)

Offline tomh

• Trad Bowhunter
my cheapo set up
« on: November 10, 2008, 08:49:00 PM »
here are a couple pics of my cheapo forging set up.
my forge is just a hollowed out firebrick with a propane torch stuck in the side, a la Wayne Goddard's book. It works fine with little blades but is not enough for anything over about 4 inches of blade length.

I am collecting all the parts to build a better venturi type forge with a pyrometer readout so I know how hot everything is.

Here is my 100 year old trenton anvil. which was not cheap. anvil collectors seem to have scarfed up all the good ones and I paid $250 for a 125# farriers anvil with no good edges. It is dead flat though with great rebound. It is cast iron with a hard steel face. If I get motivated enough I might look for a shop that can face it off for me and take it down to where I have good edges. Which would be almost a quarter inch, and that would probably cost a lot...

and finally here what I was banging away on today. which was way too big for my little forge but I am stubborn or dumb one, and I felt like doing it, so I did!

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: my cheapo set up
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 09:21:00 PM »
Tom,
     I hope I'm not out of line, but I would leave the anvil like it is. Here's why I say that. I bought a new anvil with sharp corners and ended up rounding some of it with a side grinder. Your anvil is in better shape than some of those at the bladesmithing school. It's the perfect size for bladesmithing. I have one very similar. Of course, you should do what you want to. It's just a suggestion.
     I noticed you had all the bases covered right down to the magnet. It looks like your setup works well. Keep it up. Lin
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline tomh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 09:35:00 PM »
Lin you are never out of line, I am all ears on advice from experienced smiths! Thanks for letting me know about the edges

Offline theunluckyhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 09:37:00 PM »
looking good amigo. if i can ever find an anvil for a decent price im gonna have to give it a whirl
anything can happen on a texas friday night, if you dont mind your manners you dont mind a fight

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 09:39:00 PM »
yah im still using the big ol' rail road iron.  work pretty good though so i cant complain
have i not commanded you? be strong and of good courage;be not afraid or discouraged:for the Lord your God is with you where ever you go. joshua 1:9

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 06:19:00 AM »
Tom,
      One more thing. If you need some sharp edges to work with, you can make or have made a hardy to use it's sharp edge. You can have it made to fit your hardy hole and "borrow" the mass from the main anvil.
                              Lin
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 07:48:00 AM »
I agree completely with Lin.  The edges on that anvil aren't bad at all.

The mini forges are a great (read: cheap and easy) way to get started in bladesmithing.  I still use mine.  I added a second torch and find that way I can work up to a 5" blade without a problem.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline tomh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 09:52:00 AM »
Lin, look on my anvil stump there is a little square hardy tool there, but I have found there is not enough mass in my anvil to utilize it much. Maybe once I have a permanent home for my set up and bolt the anvil down it will be better.

I am  wearing that little forge out!

Thanks for the comments guys.

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 01:58:00 PM »
Tom, Hope I not forging in on Lin  :)   But a hardy is anything you put in the square hole on your anvil.  Here is a hardy that has four different radius edges from 90% to more rounded.  You can use this instead of your anvil edge that may be chewed up...tippit

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline tomh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 06:53:00 PM »
thanks tippit. I never thought of radiusing the edges like that. cool!

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 08:43:00 PM »
That's a handy little tool tere Jeff. I have one exactly like it. That's the tool I was talking about earlier. Good deal.  :)  Lin
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©