INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: file work ?  (Read 869 times)

Offline StephenR

• Trad Bowhunter
file work ?
« on: December 09, 2008, 12:19:00 PM »
im trying to make my first two knives for Chistmas presents and i would like to add about an inch of file work to the blades for a better grip when skinning. Can i do this to a damascus blade thats already tempered ? are there any tutorials on this subject on here ?

Offline kbaknife

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: file work ?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 06:21:00 PM »
If the spine was hardened, the answer is no.
Normally, the filework will be done prior to the etching used to expose the different layers so that they are exposed in the filework as well.
My suggestion would be to leave it alone and not get yourself in trouble!
When the last deer disappears into the morning mist,
When the last elk vanishes from the hills,
When the last buffalo falls on the plains,
I will hunt mice for I am a hunter and I must have my freedom.
Chief Joseph

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 06:36:00 PM »
dremel tool and a diamond chainsaw bit.<><
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline theunluckyhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 06:49:00 PM »
and dont slip!!!!
anything can happen on a texas friday night, if you dont mind your manners you dont mind a fight

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 08:07:00 PM »
If you've never tried the dremel on the spine of a knive before, you maybe in for a very interesting file pattern  :eek:  I would agree with Karl.  Try some practice file work on soft steel first then try it on an anealed blade.  Nothing wrong with no file work on your first blades..tippit
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 08:38:00 PM »
Yap as much as I hate to admit it.I got into a hurry last week and messed up big time.The dremels fiber cutting wheel broke and skipped across my finished blade.It did plenty of damage too.Take your time and be careful...bowdoc

Offline Kevin Evans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 08:58:00 PM »
I am a beginner,I tried it at about blade #20.Believe me these guys are telling you right practice on something that's not a gift.
All though may work if you don't mind reginding and re-etching

Offline chiger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 12:41:00 AM »
Hey Stephen,

I take it you're talkin' about those 2 you posted the pics of.  The guys are right.  You can, but you probably shouldn't on a treated Damascus blade.

It's not that hard with practice and Damascus isn't some super steel that you can't grind or work.  The real problem is as Karl pointed out.  If you file, sand or grind Damascus...the etch goes away.  Then it pretty much just looks like any other steel.No pretty graining.  

Besides, those are great looking classic designs.  They are more commonly done without thumb grip filling than with anyway.  Nobody's gonna hold it against ya!  ;~)

Spend the extra time on fit and finish of the scales.  That's what will be most noticed anyway.  That's what separates the good makers from the great.

Just go to Karl's site and check out some of his work.  Most of his knives are simple, understated, straight forward pieces.  Unless you know enough about knife making to catch all the trick little stuff he is really doing. But you can see the quality in each one.  

That's the kind of attention to every little detail of fit and finish that will stand out the most.
chiger,

I generally eat whatever I can get catched up!

Offline StephenR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 12:48:00 PM »
thanks guys   i will try to work on them this weekend.

Offline Bob T.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 09:47:00 PM »
You can find good info on filework on this site. Go down the page to filework.  http://gbrannon.bizhat.com/old.htm
Take it slow.
Bob

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©