INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: who has a Fallkniven knife and how do you like it?  (Read 1035 times)

Offline tradwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
who has a Fallkniven knife and how do you like it?
« on: December 10, 2008, 01:59:00 PM »
Just wondering who has one of these knives and how do you like it? which model? if anyone has one with the vg-10 blade AND one with the new 3G blade, i'm wondering how they compare? Is the new blade worth the money?
Anyone?
R

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: who has a Fallkniven knife and how do you like it?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 02:14:00 PM »
No knife evaluation is complete without Helle Knives. Dryad Bows sells them, and they are a sponsor here.

Offline E. Texas HillBilly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 02:17:00 PM »
Hello Tradwannabe,
                    I have one of everything they make...knife nut, thats me. My favorite for hunting is the H1 and the PHK. These are knives beyond compare. They are better than alot of handmade knives, for the money, and comparable with others that cost way more. They are outstanding and I have never found a flaw yet. The VG 10 and 3G steels are great at holding an edge and easy to resharpen once dull. Which ever way you decide to go I think you will be pleased. As far as a huge difference in the steels, no, not really. They are both excellent. I think you will be pleased no matter which you buy because they are of such good quality.
Hope this helps.
                     -Hillbilly
The quiet, still watcher sees the most. -Paps

Offline tradwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 03:13:00 PM »
I was strongly considering a Helle, but I like the steel to be full width from end to end. I will probably end up with both. Helle's are more reasonably priced but i think you get what you pay for.
R

Offline Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 03:59:00 PM »
i have 2, the 'frey' 5" and the 6" (forgot the name). I've had hundreds of knives,both custom and production and these are some of the best knives i've ever used. I'm kinda partial to a full tang but either way i cannot find fault with these knives.i must check out those Helle's though. Ben
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Soilarch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 04:55:00 PM »
NO experience (too much $$$ for me without handling one in person) with Fallkniven.

But on a completely unaffiliated site that is the "knife" version tradgang they are held in very high regards.  Can't remember anyone speaking poorly of them.  I'm not familiar with the new 3G, but I have a knife by another reputable maker in VG10 and think it would be very very hard to improve upon for an all-around hunting knife.  Fallkniven won't put out a sub-par blade material, but if money is an issue I don't think you'll regard good "ole" VG10.

The helle knives aren't cutting corners.  They are "hidden" tang instead of full-tang because their designs come from VERY cold parts of the world.  Just about anything is warmer than metal on your bare hands so having an exposed tang knife really isn't a positive thing for them.

My neck knife will probably be a Helle blade that I put my own handle on.
Micah 6:8

Offline KrEn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 05:12:00 PM »
Ive handled a few Fallknivens (and my next knife is a H1) and have a couple of Shun VG10 kitchen blades.
Havent used a 3G knife, but i keep hearing they are not THAT much better than VG10..
Beiing norwegian i have had and have my share of Helle knives, generally their steel is 12C27 btw., @ RC59,
If you want a traditional knife with modern steel and quality control they have many models, the LAppland among others. They are good knives, doubtless.
Nevertheless, Helle knives are not in the same league as Fallkniven, neither general quality, steel, edge retaining (or ultimate sharpness for theat matter) I also feel Fallkniven goes more for function whereas Helle is a lot into style for its own sake..

K
-You see something, just whack it"

Offline JimmyC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 05:33:00 PM »
Hey there knife fans, I just saw a post over on a Fallkniven forum that they are coming out soon with what should be a SWEET knife called the NL6, it's will be more traditionally designed and given a Scandi Grind.  

Of course I love my Helle's and I've never owned or even handled a Fallkniven.  But their reputation speaks for itself and I sure would be tempted by a knife of their quality in a VG-10 Scandi!
"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly."--G.K. Chesterton

Offline seabound

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 06:28:00 PM »
I'm interested in the replies on this one as well. I've been eyeing up the A2 wilderness model with kydek sheath if I can find it. Youtube has some impressive destruction/chopping tests of Fallknivens.
The only physical manifestation of Zen is archery

Offline hockey7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 12:37:00 PM »
I've had the F-1, Kydek sheath for a number of years now. I got the F-1 with the black blade finish(this does wear off with use). We've put it through some tough jobs, and it keeps it's edge, sharpens with very little effort, and is pretty well indestructable. Great all round hunting, and camp knife.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 12:59:00 PM »
Paul emailed me a pic of his knife and two moose they just finished dressing out.His never need to be sharpend during the complete skinning and boneing process.Thats saying something for holding thier edge.bd

Offline Alfie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 11:14:00 AM »
I just need to reply on this one!
Fallkniven company are located here in my town, very nice people and service minded.

I use the little WM1 knife my self, both as "neckknife" and worn as a "beltknife"
   The WM1  

There are some very nice knifes in the product line.
Swedish design

fallkniven knifes
"Relax your mind and understand nature"

Offline Alfie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 03:36:00 AM »
I just realised that I might have broken some forum rules with my latest post, sorry about that :/
"Relax your mind and understand nature"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©