INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Glue  (Read 917 times)

Offline WINDTALKER

• Trad Bowhunter
Glue
« on: December 14, 2008, 01:21:00 AM »
I just picked up a few "ivory" nuts and would like to put them over wood scale handles and would rather not pin them. What do you all recommend for glue. Thanks Art

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Glue
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 08:00:00 AM »
What are ivory nuts?
Dan

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 08:33:00 AM »
I'am no pro knife maker by any means.Heck I ai'nt even worthy of being called such.However I do use loc tite super glue on some handles or one of my favorite epoxy's of all is smooth-on epoxy.I get it from from 3 rivers archery.I like the smooth-on because you bake it at 120 degrees for one hour and it's good to go.It seems to hold recuvre bows together rather well and one of the stronger epoxy.bowdoc

Offline WINDTALKER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 05:46:00 PM »
There are differant kinds. The tagua nut is the one most people know about. It is a palm nut that averages 1.5x2 inches and is so similar to ivory that most people cant tell it from the real stuff. I also picked up some new ones I'd never seen, that are like a small 3 inch bowl with walls about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch thick of creamy white "ivory", should be able to cut some handle accents or bow tip overlays from them. And one that is about the size of an oversize almond that shines up to have dark vain's in it.

Offline Steve Nuckels

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 08:41:00 PM »
Could you show a pic of a "nut" I would like to see that!

Offline WINDTALKER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 10:41:00 PM »
If I can get the wife to assist me I will. As it is I consider my self fotunate just to be able to turn this thing on.

Offline chiger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 02:42:00 AM »
Hey Talker,

I like epoxy for my hidden pin scales and hidden tang knives.  Like bowdoc, I've tried super glue on bone inlay and haven't had any failures.  But then I haven't with epoxy either.  But I take great pains to make sure I don't.

The thing I like about epoxy is you can color it to match the color of the insert or wood so any slight imperfections don't show.  And It actually makes the epoxy stronger, depending on what you use.  

That said, epoxy does not bond well in really thin layers.  So if you use it and clamp it tight, be sure to relieve the mounting surface of the scale or nut wood to give it thickness.  And be sure to really texture both, at least in the middle, to give it something to grip no matter what glue you use.  

Heck there are guys using Gorilla glue now for knives.  They swear by it.  I've actually got one I'm carrying around as a test piece before I sell any.  But it has it's issues for use too.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with it!
chiger,

I generally eat whatever I can get catched up!

Offline WINDTALKER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 03:16:00 PM »
Having problems trying to post pics of the nuts just an update. Art

Offline WINDTALKER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 03:45:00 PM »
Ok can anyone help me post pics I'm on photobucket but whats a browser "clipboard" Thanks

Offline skullworks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 03:48:00 PM »
Click on the box where the name is. Click on generate html and image code. Copy code that is for message boards. Paste in your text box on here. That is how I do it anyways.
'cuz deer huntin' ain't catch & release!

Offline WINDTALKER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2008, 05:46:00 PM »

Offline WINDTALKER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 05:52:00 PM »
Thank you skullworks  :)  I've been trying forever to get that right. So pic 2 is the only one I know for sure as taqua nut. Pic 1 has the most ivory and pic 3 has the coolest figure in it hope you all can see. I'm no photographer.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©