INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Putting on a handle w/o scuffing the blade...  (Read 838 times)

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
Putting on a handle w/o scuffing the blade...
« on: December 16, 2008, 04:49:00 PM »
Hey Guys,

I still have yet to graduate to forging my own blades...yet. In the mean time I have made a few from blades buddies have forged and from purchased blades.

A good friend gave me a blade that has a really nice satin finish on it. I want a good fitting handle but am worried about scuffing up the satin finish in the process of mounting the handle.

I know I can wrap the blade with tape to protect that area, but how do you file in or sand down the edges of the handle scale to get a good fit and finish without scuffing the spine of the blank or at the base of the blade (ricasso)?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline theunluckyhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Putting on a handle w/o scuffing the blade...
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 05:44:00 PM »
wrap it thick with masking tape, and go slow!
anything can happen on a texas friday night, if you dont mind your manners you dont mind a fight

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 05:51:00 PM »
build a knife vise like this one- its a modified Loveless knife vise I believe...

This vise holds the knife by the wrapped blade, protecting it from slips and gaffs. The biggest thing I have learned is not to be impatient. You cannot put material back on once removed. Be slow and deliberate.

I used to have a ton of material to remove after I applied my scales.

I now remove a huge amount of material from the back side of the scale, so when the epoxy is dry I have very little to do to the outside. Just a little shaping with my grinder, then 220 up to 800 paper and then its on to the buffer.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 09:11:00 PM »
Masking tape at least and duct tape is even better...as mentioned go slow.Nice vise Ray I like that one..bowdoc

Offline theunluckyhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 09:22:00 PM »
duct tape i find leaves nasty black gunk that is hard to get off
anything can happen on a texas friday night, if you dont mind your manners you dont mind a fight

Offline skullworks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 06:47:00 AM »
I use a scroll saw or belt sander to get mine pretty close to final shape before I put them on. I also use tape to guard the blade. I use the blue tape covered with masking tape. Patience is the real key as all the others have said.
'cuz deer huntin' ain't catch & release!

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 07:02:00 AM »
A little finger nail polish remover acetone will clean the gunk(tape residue)right off the blade with one swipe.bd

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 08:55:00 AM »
glue the scales together using a piece of paper between them and several dabs of yellow wood glue. you can grind and shape to your hearts content then pop them loose sand and apply to the blade.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline skullworks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 09:22:00 AM »
Good idea, madness!
'cuz deer huntin' ain't catch & release!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©