INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: power hammer v/s hydraulic press  (Read 523 times)

Offline TxMoon

• Trad Bowhunter
power hammer v/s hydraulic press
« on: January 04, 2009, 09:58:00 PM »
I am looking at building a power hammer but looks like to me a air over hydraulic press would be a lot easer to build .
question is what are the advantages of a power hammer over a press or is there?
Technique and Knowledge is the largest factor in being able to build a good knife. Lin Rhea

Offline kbaknife

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: power hammer v/s hydraulic press
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 07:59:00 AM »
I have a 50# Little Giant and could not make knives without it, since I mostly use large stock. I have spent very little time on a press, but it is the next major tool upgrade in my shop!!
It would be MUCH easier to build a reliable and efficient press than it would a power hammer.
The ease of interchange-ability of the dies on the press makes it a great advantage in a shop.
Don Fogg sells a manual for building a press that I think is invaluable for this purpose.
 http://www.dfoggknives.com/hydralic.htm
If you decide to build a press, please document the process, photograph it well, and come back and post it here!!!
When the last deer disappears into the morning mist,
When the last elk vanishes from the hills,
When the last buffalo falls on the plains,
I will hunt mice for I am a hunter and I must have my freedom.
Chief Joseph

Offline Kevin Evans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 11:41:00 AM »
I also have a 25# trip hammer and it is very good for many knife building tasks,but not relly big enough for making Damascus (IMO) it works but I usually go to friends house and use press to make Damascus.
My friend use the press for things I use my trip hammer for also.So if I had it to do over I would get a press.(maybe)
My next tool will be a Mill and then maybe a press.
I would also like you to show us pics if you build a press!!!

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 02:47:00 PM »
I started many years ago with my little 25# hammer have forged many #s of steel and made many #s of damascus with it so don't know any better  ;)  (Got a buddy with a 100#er that I'd love to have though.) I also got to work on a press quite a bit a few years ago till moving to MT and loved it. They both have thier strong points and are interchangable to a degree but if your building your own toys by all means go with the press. Got several of the components here so plan to put one together some day...

Oh yea Rooster, that mill is very handy to have around too!!
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©