INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Tempering Question  (Read 2532 times)

Offline agd68

• Trad Bowhunter
Tempering Question
« on: January 05, 2009, 01:43:00 PM »
Hi All,I've made a few knives now and it seems to be working out.I'm using some old sawmill blades. I heat the blanks up in a wood stove until red hot,let cool overnight in the ashes to anneal,heat to red hot and quench in old motor oil to harden and temper at 350 for 1 hr in an old oven.Kind of primitive but seems to work.If I'm doing anything wrong please let me know. I've read that some of you temper more than once in the oven.Is this better? How many times? Is it better to temper the blade fresh from quenching or does it matter if it cools down?
Eat, drink, and be merry...  
For tommoro we may die.

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tempering Question
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 05:21:00 PM »
Your on the right track. The basics are good. I would increase the draw back time by 15-30 minutes. I like for the oven to have time to come up to temperature and then at least a full hour at temp. I do 1 hour and 30 minute draw. The actual temperature depends on your steel. If you are having success, I would not change much.

For real hard use knives, such as chopping, filet, etc, where the blade will undergo a lot of flex, shock, or stress in it's normal use, I draw back twice or three times. In other words, knives of any size over 4-5 inches. Some just go ahead and draw the blade multiple times on all of them. It's a good practice. I have to assume the knife will be used hard. Lin
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline agd68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 12:05:00 PM »
Thanks for the info Lin. The ones I make now are pretty much all under 4" blade.If I have it right,the multiple tempering allows for a more flexible blade? How long do you wait between tempering sessions ?
For tommoro we may die.

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 01:08:00 PM »
There you go using knifemaking terms. I would say tougher blades. Flex can be determined by a couple of things, the steel's character and thickness. Flex implies that it will return to the blades original straightness. It certainly should do that. Toughness might mean it can flex many more times without any problems. It can get confusing even for knife nuts.

Help me out Karl!   :help:    :wavey:  Lin
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28

Offline agd68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 08:42:00 AM »
Got it. Thanks.
For tommoro we may die.

Offline tomh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 08:48:00 AM »
From what I have learned, it is best to do at least 2 tempering cycles for 2 hours each to be safe.
Start on the low side with your temps, if it is too hard, you can raise the temperature to get it where you want. If you start too high and the blade is softer than you want, you have to harden all over again and then start lower on the tempering temp.

I have had it happen to me both ways, and it is way easier to put a too hard blade back in the oven, than to try to re heat treat an essentially finished blade!

Offline kbaknife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 11:29:00 AM »
I'll tell you what is difficult sometimes to REALLY get your head around:
It often seems that many concern themselves, and get really focused on,"TEMPERING". Sort of thinking that if they temper their blade at this temp, and do it this many times for this long, then they'll end up with "X??X" hardness.
For ANY of those tempering "recipes" to predictably work correctly, and function along with industry standard proceedures, the steel must have reached FULL HARDNESS to begin with! All of those tempering times and temperatures have been determined by utilizing them on FULL HARD STEEL. This of course requires proper treatment up to the full hardening process with correct temperature control and steel/alloy heat treating procedures to begin with.
Sort of like saying that if you do not have your steel type up at the right temp, (not to high - not to low) -)for the proper amount of time, and then quench it in the correct medium to extract the heat at the proper rate FOR THAT STEEL to transform the austenite into martensite, then it doesn't matter how you temper it!
See what we're up against?
So, that behooves the knife maker to use the simplest steel that he can control with the equipment he has.
For example, 1084 is about the simplest steel going. If you get it non-magnetic and quench it in something wet, it'll get hard. How hard? Depends on the control of your processes up to that point.
If you harden something that you have overheated earlier, without going through post forging  normalizing steps, and grain reduction steps, and then you harden it - you've got junk.
If you don't get it completely up to the temp for THAT steel, and quench it in the correct medium at the correct temperature for that steel, regardless of all the other steps being in place, it won't get hard!
Tempering is the easist of all the steps to accomplish.
Grain size, even carbon distribution, post foring techniques, proper temps and times for THAT STEEL, etc., are the hard parts.
Without those in place, tempering is just wasting gas and electricity.
I have found Lin to be a really good teacher, and he is one of my heros! Like he says, flex is, for the most part, determined by geometry. It's where the flex FAILS, and blades break, that is determined by heat treatment.
Which brings up another point!
Terminology.
"Heat treatment" begins at the mill, and ends with the final tempering.
Everything done between those two points can/will/might change the chemistry of the steel. That is all the "heat treatment". Simply said, anything that treats the steel with heat, is heat treating - milling, forging, normalizing, thermal cycling, annealing, hardening, tempering - are all one looooooooooooong heat treatment.
It's always easier to discuss these processes if all concerned use the term to describe the step/action.
That's all the bad news.
Good news is, steel is easily obtainable to match the maker's experience level.
I have been using my torch a lot lately, over the last few years, on my hunting sized knives.
The post I made a few weeks ago where the guy said he took 5 deer from "field to freezer" before he touched up his blade, was done with a torch.
Anybody can do it.
But! That steel was properly treated up to that point with concern to really watching forging and post forging steps for grain size and carbon distribution.
Why am I typing all of this and gettin' people mad at me? 'Cause I've got two blades in the oven just about done with their last tempering cycle and I've got some time on my hands.
When you get a steel up to the temp at which it is prescribed to be quenched, the steel is in the condition called "austenite". When you quench it, it transforms into a condition known as "martensite", which is the hardest condition of steel. But, it's also under a lot of stress and is quite brittle as a result of changing into a new structure.
However, ALL of the austenite does not make the transformation, and is known as "retained austenite". It is RETAINED in that condition.
When you do that first tempering cycle, on full hard steel, you are moving the "retained austenite". There was "left over" "stuff" that didn't get to transform into the "hard stuff" because the cooling process of the quench stopped it from occuring. As well, that first tempering cycle relieves stress, and some of the brittleness, created by the steel that DID make the transformation.
Now, since the "retained austenite" was able to make the transformation during the first tempering cycle into martensite, we need to relieve the stress created by its completion -hence, the second tempering cycle.
So, if you feel you've done a good job getting your steel hard in the first place, always give it two tempering cycles at the temp for that steel.  
Almost sounds like I know what I'm talkin' about, but, for the most part, I've spent just enough time to learn the terms that define what I've been doing.
When I look at the graphs and photo-micrographs of steel - I'm a complete idiot. I haven't got a clue what they mean.
There are some really neat demos that can be done with steel, and I might do some photos that will show some of these. Just takes time.
Take an old file sometime, wrap it with tape, and bust it in two with a hammer. The tape keeps it from flying all over the shop like shrapnel.
Look at the grain. It's visibly fine and tight.
Now, get it TOO HOT and hold it there for a minute or so. By TOO HOT, I mean really yellow - yellow orange. HOT!!
Then quench it really quick in some warm oil.
Break it again.
The grain will be VISIBLY coarse and "grainy". Not good for a knife. If you get your steel too hot before you quench it, or right at the end of forging, and fail to do grain reducing steps, you've got junk.
Now, take the file, get it just above non-magnetic, the next color change above non-magnetic, and let it cool back to black. Do this three times.
You are reducing the grain size.
This is what you should do after forging your blade. It sort of "corrects" your forging errors.
Now, get that file just back up to barely above non-magnetic and quench.
Break it again.
The grain will be back to fine!
Easy demostration that what we are doing with time and temp effects the steel - either good or bad.
I'll give you two things I've heard over the years,
"Jesus Christ, Himself, could send a bar of steel down from Heaven. It'll only be as good as the heat treatment it gets."
and,
"The most a blacksmith can ever hope for is to end up with as good a piece of steel as the one he started out with."
Simply stated, we have far more opportunities to ruin good steel , than we have to improve it.
Anyway, have I gone on long enough?
You probably weren't expecting that Lin.
Sorry.
Everybody's probably mad at me now.
When the last deer disappears into the morning mist,
When the last elk vanishes from the hills,
When the last buffalo falls on the plains,
I will hunt mice for I am a hunter and I must have my freedom.
Chief Joseph

Offline skullworks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 12:09:00 PM »
Dang Karl! Did you take a breath? LOL! Mad at you? Nah...still deciphering! Nice to have the pros on here for the technical stuff!
'cuz deer huntin' ain't catch & release!

Offline kbaknife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 12:55:00 PM »
Don't confuse me with a "pro"!
Chief Joseph

Offline kbaknife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 01:17:00 PM »
Here's something  else to confuse it all even more:
"Critical" is NOT the same as "Non-magnetic".
Critical is that temp at which all of the carbon and the alloys go into "solution". Solution, sort of meaning they (all of the alloys and the carbon and the iron) sort of dissolve into one anther and become atomically "liquid" for lack of a looser term. They all sort of become detached from sharing their spaces with each other. When you get them in this condition and then cool them rapidly (quench) you get hard steel.
If you let the steel cool slowly, all of those atoms of the alloys go back to a "happy" place called pearlite. Soft.
The "critical" temperature of the steels will vary according to the complexity of the alloy content.
Now, "non-magnetic" refers to the dis-alignment/re-arrangement of the nuetrons and protons of the iron atom as a result of the high temperature. That iron atom is the same iron in D2, O1, 5160, 1084, W2, 52100, etc. See what I'm saying? All of those steels will go "non-magnetic" at basically the same temperature, because it's the IRON that's going non-magnetic, and it's SAME iron in all of those steels!
But, the critical temperature, and the TIME that they need to be held at THAT temperature differ from one to the other based on the other alloys in that steel.
A good rule of thumb is to watch the colors of the steel. As you are bringing it up in temp, continually check it with a magnet. As it goes non-magnetic, you will know that you are well into the 14** degree range. But, you're not ready to quench YET! Pay close attention to the color of that steel. Watch that internal "shadow" in the steel. That's a transformation going on from pearlite to austenite. Get that shadow gone and the steel slightly move into the next color range ABOVE the color you saw when it went non-magnetic, hold it there a second, and QUENCH!
If you do that, then your tempering times and temps will have some meaning.
Chief Joseph

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 06:08:00 PM »
Karl,
      Thanks for the help. I actually understand what your saying.  :D  I all sounds so intimidating, but after one gets down to the nuts and bolts of heat treating, it's not too bad. I personally had/have to really concentrate to keep the austinite, martinsite, etc straight. For a while I though it was magic.  :D  

I'm more of a shade tree type of heat treater, even though it works well and I am diligent about things. I try to use very few types of steel, to cut down on head aches.

I do have a question that I have not heard on any other forums. Do you find that some blade shapes accept hardening differently than others? Same steel type, only difference is size or shape. Lin
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28

Offline kbaknife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 06:50:00 PM »
Well, it's been pretty easy for me to learn that I just can't get the bigger knives done correctly with a torch when I'm using 5160. I want those done as best I can so I give them a good soak in the oven at 1525 for about 25 minutes.
What has been the single most important factor has been the correct quenchant for the steel type.
I, too, am sticking with only a few steels. 5160, from my 1984 stash, W1 and W2, and 1084. I've only done a few 1084 blades, but, Man! I like it!
That bunch of 1 inch square 5160 I got made back in 1984, will do everything I want ina knife, from small hunters, to big Bowies.
Now, when I use the 1084, W1 and 2, I use the appropriate oil, Parks #50.
5160 gets Texaco "A".
Doug Campbell just sent me some 52100 to play with, and I'm excited about using that.
Anyway, I haven't discovered blade "shapes" acting differently. Now, if that "shape" includes a different thickness, then I think you'll have some variables if you are working with shallow hardening steels like 1095, W1 and W2. With the proper soak at the right time and temp, with a fast oil like Parks #50, those steels will only harden about .125" deep. So, if you are using 1/4" steel, and you consider that .125" from each side, therre will be a small sliver of un-hardened steel in the middle, but this is only at the full 1/4" area, back by the ricasso, so it doesn't matter.
If you are using the deeper hardening steels like O1, 5160, 52100, etc. at the proer soak and correct speed oil, I don't think shapes or sizes make much difference. But, those had better get a good soak at the right temp for full hardness! It's sort of why I like hardening my 5160 hunters with a torch! I find it sort of relaxing. If I get the flame just right, it's almost impossible to overheat the steel, and I can keep 5-6 inches of steel right at the "sweet spot" for a few minutes of soak time. I enjoy that. It's fun.
Is it the BEST? I don't know. there are those that would say "No". But my customers tell me what I want to hear.
I do know that a fellow can't go wrong if he learns just a little bit of temp control and uses the right oil for the steel at hand.
Learn a few forging and post-forging techniques and the knives he makes can perform miracles!! Just kidding.
I'd better not type any more now for a few weeks before people around here start talking about me.
Chief Joseph

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 07:44:00 PM »
Karl,
     I think you hit on something. The quenchant is probably the variant. Yesterday was pretty cold to start with, so I figured I'd heat it a little extra. I had to quench a couple several times coming up in color each time and still not quite satisfied with the hardness.

I quenched two other blades that were smaller (3 and 3 1/2 inch)and they did great. Lower mass?  The bigger, thicker blades were slow to harden. I'm edge quenching these and am wondering if I lower them  slightly lower into the oil during the quench, if that will work better. Instinctively, I know that's not right, but Here's why I raise this. I have an 8 inch blade, I quench, the front half get harder than the back near the ricasso. I think this is because it is deeper in the oil and loses heat faster because of being relatively thin and low mass.
    I also think because I heated the quenchant a little extra, it would not tranfer the heat fast enough in the thicker parts of the blade such as where the choil drops from the ricasso.
      So, instead of trying to dip the blade lower, I should heat the oil a little less before quenching.
      Again, this was a problem on my medium and larger blades only. In your experience, how does the temperature of the oil relate to your blades ability or inability to harden? Lin
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28

Offline kbaknife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2009, 08:31:00 PM »
You know that hot oil extracts heat from the steel faster than cooler oil - right? Of course, you do. The hotter the oil the faster it circulates around the surface of the steel.
But then again, what oil are you using?
The "proper" quenching oils - and I'm not just saying this lightly, I'm pointing it out for everyone following this thread - the proper quenching oils have additives that inhibit a vapor barrier from being created between the steel and the oil, thus resulting in no cooling occuring, because the steel is not in contact with the oil! Then, you miss the hardening segment of the quench.
That's why oils like veg oil and mineral oil, etc. don't achieve the best hardening. I'm not saying they won't work. Many people have used them. They just aren't the best! They lack the additives that eliminate the vapor barrier that occurs when you stick a piece of steel in it that's 1500 degrees!
I've read that even the really high dollar quench oils are ESSENTIALLY mineral oil, it's just that they also have the "secret" additives to eliminate the vapor barrier.
I have most DEFFINITELY experienced harder and harder steel the warmer I got my oil!
Deffinitely - without a doubt!
I used to quench my 5160 at about 135, but am now right where Ed Fowler says to be - 165.
And guess what - they're harder than they have ever been. Ever.
Here's another factor, and that is the AMOUNT of oil you are using!
When you are quenching a small hunter, and here you are correct about the amount of mass, it doesn't really take all that much oil to get it hard.
But! When you're doing a 10 inch long, 5/16" thick Bowie, that's another issue! That's a LOT of heat to extract.
We've got to remember that proper quench oils are designed to extract heat at different rates and these rates change numerous times over a few milli-seconds. The heat from that blade can distribute through the oil in only a second or so. So, my point? Use the absolute MOST oil you can!! That eliminates it as a problem.
I welded up two seperate tanks, that are about 8 inches square and 2 feet long, so they hold over five gallons each. That way, there is always enough oil to accomplish what you are trying to get it to do - harden steel!
As well, I make sure that I always have the oil at the right temp, which for me is 5160 - 165 degrees Texaco A.
When I do W1 or W2, I use the Parks #50 at 100 degrees.
When I do 1084, it's such a "perfect" steel, it's almost a cross between a shallow hardening steel and a deep hardening steel!
So, I use the Parks #50 at only about 80 degrees.  
Here's another thought!
Some folks quench point down in a tube of oil.
Think of this! That oil extracts heat SO FAST, that as the blade goes down in the oil, the last part of the blade to go in is hitting oil that has ALREADY risen in temp WAAAAAAAAY HIGH from absorbing heat from the first part of the blade to go in!
So that blade is going to have different hardnesses all along its edge.
That's another reason for the big tanks - they are long enough that I can just insert the blade EDGE DOWN right in the oil. The full length of the blade edge is all getting quenched at the same time.
Now, maybe, on that 8 inch blade that got harder on the thinner, front end, it wasn't a matter of the quench hitting different thicknesses, but did you get the thicker areas of the blade up to full temp and fully austenised? Just a thought.
There's so many friggin variables in this stuff.
You're makin' me think too much.
My fingers are sore from typing now.
Chief Joseph

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2009, 10:50:00 PM »
Yes Karl I know that the hotter the oil the faster the heat transfer, to a point. I was thinking (maybe mistakenly) that I went over that point. One of the other makers even mentioned not to go a degree over 180. That's what I was refering to, that I may have gone over the top while heating my oil. It very well could be that I need to heat it a little MORE. It was cold and rainy and I may have simply misjudged it. I have another temperature probe that I can use to check my oil and my method for heating it. Once I get the method tweaked a little, I should be fine.

I will say this for all who may be interested. The reason I knew that I had a problem with those two blades is that I test each and every one that I heat treat, with a file to make sure that it gets hard. I cant assume that my methods will work perfectly on every type or shape of blade. It's a thing to remember.

Discussions like this are why I really like the forums. Lin
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28

Offline JMR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2009, 11:33:00 PM »
Wow!!! My eyes are sore from reading, but don't stop now Karl and Lin.  You guys are providing alot of info for us beginning knife makers. Karl explaining the different colors that steel goes through after non-magnetic was helpful. I was heating 01 to non-magnetic then just a little longer and quenching in motor oil. It seemed to work but I'm just beginning. So keep the info flowing I'm personnaly enjoying reading it.

Offline kbaknife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2009, 07:41:00 AM »
Well, Lin, you and I both know that sometimes in these discussions, everybody really needs to be on the same page with the same items being discussed or it can be like apples and oranges.
When that "someone" said not to get the oil over 180, what oil was he talking about?
Probably a veg oil or something like that because it would be so hot that when you quenched your steel you'd blow up the garage! Just kidding. Some of these proper quench oils also have additives that give them a very high "flash point" to inhibit combustion.
If we discuss using these times and temps and quenching in industry standard quenching oil DESIGNED to extract heat at a certain rate, and somebody else is using mineral oil, peanut oil, used motor oil, etc. etc., the results just aren't going to be the same.
Guy says, "Well I had my "OIL" up to 145 degrees and my steel was non-magnetic, but it just didn't get hard!"
OK.
His oil was used 10W-40, and his steel was 1095!
Ain't gonna happen.
I have a nice aquaintance with a Master Smith from Montana who had been using another "oil" up to this point in his career. I got him to switch to Parks #50, and he's a new man.
So that's always my very first concern with anyone who is having difficulty getting things like they want - what OIL did you use? And what steel was it?
It's early in the morning and I have my coffee here, so I'll say this once more, 'cause I think I've done it before, for those following this thread, and then I'll shut up.
Some of these steels we use in making knives require different quenchants to achieve the transformation from austentite (the condition it's in when it's up to "temp") to martensite (the good hard condition!).
The different alloys in the steel change "things" during the quick cooling process. Imagine it sort of like a whole bunch of "stuff" getting in the way of the iron and carbon trying to form a new structure - martensite.
The more "stuff" (the alloys) in the way, the longer it takes for the steel to create martensite. It needs to push all of this stuff around and include it, as well, in the new structure. Some of these include O1, 5160, and 52100.
Then, there are some alloys like 1084, 1095, W1 and W2 that have alloys in such an arrangement and percentage, that they do not restrict the iron and carbon very much, so that the steel can create martensite VERY QUICKLY!
So the extraction of heat from the steel must match the alloy content of the steel.
To get really specific, in the first set of steels, O1, 5160, 52100, that steel needs to get below about 1000 degrees or so, down from 1525-1550 in about 5 seconds. So the additives in Texaco A, Parks AAA, Brownell's Tough Quench, are designed to extract the heat at that RATE.
If that steel does NOT get below that 1000 degrees or so in that many seconds, the steel will try to revert to the soft condition of steel, pearlite, and will NOT make martensite! Some of the oils often used like veg oil and such, do not have the additives in them to inhibit that vapor barrier I spoke of earlier, so the speed of cooling does not occur and the steel doesn't get hard. Oops.
Guy wonders what happened??!!??
Then, in the other steels, because of their alloy content in their particular percentages, they need an oil that will get the steel temp down from 1450-1500 degrees to under 1000 degress in 1 second!!!!!
So, then we use Parks #50 and brine (scary stuff!).
If you don't get these steels under that temp in that time, they don't get hard! They reverted to the soft condition of steel.
So, guys try to compensate for this by heating up their oil, but that only works to a tiny degree if it's not the right oil.
You may get a "skin" on the "fast" steel that's hard, but not the depth of hardness penetration.
Now, on that O1, and I don't know your name, "JMR", the alloys in that sort of require a longer "soak" time at critical temp to achieve the best results. I personally don't use it, for no particular reason, but I know that it would be better if it could be held at about 1500 degrees for 20-30 minutes.
I soak my big 5160 blades at 1525 for as much as 25 minutes.
There is the reverse of this as well - if you quench a steel, say 5160 (a medium speed steel) in the fast oil, it will cool TOO FAST and will crack!
I figure if I'm gonna spend time grinding and forging and sweating and pounding and sanding and cussing, etc. on a bunch of steel, then, rather than have all of my time and resources wasted, I owe it to myself to use the right oil.
It's cheaper to use the right oil.  
As well, use the simplest steel I can to match my abilities and temp control.
Chief Joseph

Offline kbaknife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2009, 07:47:00 AM »
I got one of those double burners somewhere long ago, that has two coils on it that I set my tanks on. Then, just a thermometer in it to tell me the oil temp.
Works pretty good.
You're probably right about having the oil too hot. That'll screw it up as well.
Bill Burke told me to get one of those hot water heater coils to put in the tank that also has a  thermostat on it and it'll keep your oil exactly where you want it!
I've gone off and forgot I was warming up my oil, only to need to shut it off for a while to  let it cool down. That water heater coil and thermostat would eliminate that problem!
Of coure, if we speant all of time we needed getting all of the stuff we should have and doing everything like it's supposed to be done, we wouldn't get any knives made!
Chief Joseph

Offline Montauks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2009, 09:05:00 AM »
Great stuff here Karl and Lin, thank you!....is it possible that there is a chart somewhere that contains the accurate info being shared here?

Gene
What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset.

Crowfoot, Blackfoot warrior and orator

Offline kbaknife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2009, 09:18:00 AM »
I don't know of any chart.
But there are books with heat treating graphs for most of the steels mentioned that will tell what the austenising times and temperatures are, temps for annealing, temps for hardening, etc.
There will be graphs that show the time in seconds that the steel needs to go through to create different structures.
Then, you just match the correct oil to that steel.
Here's the way I look at it, sort of an analogy:
I don't think that a race car driver needs to be an expert mechanic to win races. He just needs to know how to drive and do what his pit crew tell him to do.
So, as a knife maker, I don't need to be a metalurgist or a steel "geek" to be able to make a good knife. I just need to do what the "experts" have already determined a loooooooong time ago that needs to be done to get the result I want.
There's no need for me to try to come up with "alternatives" in my heat treating when the proper way to do it has already been created by the industry!
here's one of those graphs and pages I refer to:
the first one shows you the chemistry of the steel, the temps to forge it at, the temps for normalizing and annealing and the temps and methods to harden and temper.
The second chart shows you the transformation times in creating the different structures.
Then, it's up to you, the maker, to somehow acquire the materials and tools needed to attain these temperatures and control them for the appropriate times.
Some steels are much easier in this regard.

Chief Joseph

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©