INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Sharpening system?  (Read 1361 times)

Offline Hillbilly WA

• Trad Bowhunter
Sharpening system?
« on: January 07, 2009, 08:15:00 AM »
Hi Guys
I was just wondering if anyone knew of a good sharpening system for both knives and broadheads, thats preferably quite easy to use. Is there one that is considered 'the best' or industry standard?
Thanks,
Carl

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sharpening system?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 08:37:00 AM »
KME... they are a sponsor here too  :)
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline tomh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 08:44:00 AM »
I just use a 2 sided diamond stone for both. It has course and fine grits, works great for me and was cheap!

Offline bearfootin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 01:14:00 PM »
You'r gonna get alot of replies sayen the KME, and for good reason. The best by far for knives, 2 blade broadheads and bleeders. Heck I even touched up some replaceable blades on Muzzy's and Wasps etc. Excellant product and people...Lloyd
GIT -R- DONE

Offline JimmyC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 01:59:00 PM »
Spyderco Sharpmaker is my favorite!  Great system, I know Cabela's sells them.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly."--G.K. Chesterton

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 02:57:00 PM »
Another vote for KME here.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline redneckrampage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 04:06:00 PM »
my dad has a dunn knives system, hes worked on knives for me with it and the results are hair splitting and shaving sharp, im planning on ordering one in the future

Offline fyrfyter43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 04:16:00 PM »
KME...hands down!
"In the joy of hunting is intimately woven the love of the great outdoors. The beauty of woods, valleys, mountains, and skies feeds the soul of the sportsman where the quest of game only whets his appetite." ~ Saxton Pope

Offline Hillbilly WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 08:40:00 PM »
Thanks for the responses guys, i looked at the videos and the descriptions of both sharpening systems, and they seem to be exactly what i want.
I think i'm going to get both systems, lucky for me i got two or three brothers and a mate to split the cost between  :campfire:  . It's one of those things that we figured you only need to use every now and then, so we'll get a really nice one, and share it.
I think i will go for the standard options, as it will bring down the price, but do the diamond stones work much better?
Thanks, Carl

Offline bearfootin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 10:20:00 PM »
Carl, I purchased the KME knife sharpener with the DIAMOND "STONES". Man do these things ever cut the material off, and the extra fine polishes like a mirror. I have to suggest if you can afford it, get the best, go with the DIAMOND and don't look back you won't be sorry....Lloyd  :thumbsup:
GIT -R- DONE

Offline Hillbilly WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 06:50:00 AM »
Thanks for the reply bearfootin, does anyone else know if there's much of a difference between the diamond stones and the normal (arkansas?) stones in the KME sharpening system?
Thanks,
Carl

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 06:58:00 AM »
I use Gatco diamonds.  I looked at KME this summer at Denton and couldn't get my knives to clamp in well.  Maybe I'm just too used to Gatco...tippit
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009, 07:15:00 AM »
Vote two for Gatco(cabela's).I have the Gatco with the diamond stones and it works great..bowdoc

Offline Toecutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2009, 01:59:00 AM »
Anyone use an edgepro??  I was wondering about the pros and cons compared to the KME.

Thanks
Nathan
"To be what we are, and to become what we are capable of becoming, is the only end of life." RLS

Offline Hillbilly WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2009, 05:47:00 AM »
I think i might get the KME system, and try it with broadheads too; i saw a thread on tradgang in which the lansky system is used for broadheads, i am only using 2-blade cut-on-contact's, so it seems like it would work. This means that i have the money to get the diamond system and use it on both knives and broadheads.
Also, what is the difference between diamond and stone? The only differences i can find are diamonds usually cut faster and only need water, not oil, and are more expensive.
Thanks, Carl

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2009, 08:52:00 AM »
Carl,
The diamonds cut faster, but aren't available in the finer grits.
The extra-fine DMT (green) is the equivalent of 900 grit sandpaper.  Compare that to the Hard Arkansas (1000 grit) and Black Arkansas (2500-3000 grit).  DMT does make an extra-extra fine diamond stone (about the same as the hard black Arkansas), but it's only available as a bench stone or the 5" folding stone... not something that works well with any of the sharpening systems.

The diamond stones do wear out.  I'm on my second set of 4" stones.  The natural stones do wear as well, but fresh stone is constantly being exposed.  They can be reflattened if they go out of true.  For my time and money, I use the diamond stones for knives, then switch over to the finer Arkansas stones if I want the edge polished more.  For woodworking tools it's all natural stones though (the bigger diamond plates are out of my price range).
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2009, 10:11:00 PM »
Gatco here, but I'm no knife making pro...just sharpeningly challenged.

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2009, 10:21:00 PM »
The interesting thing that I've found and Doug may back me up on this.  Having a bit of a ragged edge from say a medium/fine diamond stays sharper in the field than a very fine stropped edge that is scary sharp.  I can sharpen and edge to where it can almost cut you looking at it...But it does not stand up to to hair and hide like a rougher edge...at least for me.  tippit
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Wampus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2009, 10:35:00 PM »
Had a chance to talk to Mastersmith Jerry Fisk about 6-7 years ago when he was at Uncle Al's and he was using a fine Norton India stone (equialent to about 330 grit) to sharpen one of his knives.  He said that it cuts meat and hide better and longer than a really polished edge.

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2009, 05:28:00 PM »
Wampus,
       He's still doing it that way. I am too and I agree. I do think that for some, the proper angle is the difficult part. That's where the KME really shines. You can stop honing at the india stone or go all the way to surgical black, if you like that edge. It's a sure way to get the angle you want.
     I attend Al's meetings just about when ever he has em. Come on down next time, if you can. Second Thursday. Lin
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©