INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Show your Hunting knife thread..... again!  (Read 7134 times)

Offline Buemaker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Show your Hunting knife thread..... again!
« Reply #100 on: January 21, 2007, 04:14:00 AM »
Okay I`ll guess, Bog Oak?
  Bue--.

Offline Wild Russian

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: January 21, 2007, 04:21:00 AM »
Bue,
you're winner  :)
yes, after tens or maybe hundreds years at the bottom  :)

Offline Brian P.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: January 21, 2007, 08:35:00 AM »
You have nice taste, Danny. Who made that?

Randall knives are real beauties, for sure. I have one (a model 5, 4") that I have used. Many people would cringe at the mention of Using a Randall, but isnt that what they are made for?

When it all comes down to use, I just dont think you can beat a knife made by Bob Dozier. His heat treatment gets the most from the D2 steel. His designs are no nonsense, using tools, but can be "prettied up" with some of the more exotic handle scales.

Another maker I have a knife from is Steve Skiff from Ney York. He is fairly new on the scene but his work is outstanding. Here is the one I have. ATS-34 blade with a triple dyed, stabilized Buckeye Burl handle. Nickle Silver guard.

BP
"As a rule, nothing does an arrow so much good as to shoot it, and nothing so much harm as to have it lie inactive and crowded in the quiver"   Saxton Pope

Offline kerry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: January 21, 2007, 10:44:00 AM »
Third Eye, I like the look of the first knife especially.  What kind of burl is the handle?

Guru, Bo Randall of Orlando, resurected the custom knife business in a period when mass production had dominated. If memory serves, he was inspired by a Scagel model and went from there. Has a big military following and celebrity fanbase, and the mystique (and wait time)grows.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: January 21, 2007, 03:58:00 PM »
Brian P,

Your sense of taste when it comes to knives is tremendous. I would imagine your collection is enviable to say the least!!!

The finish work on that Skiff knife, as well as the unreal sheath truly makes it a piece of art as well as a fine tool.

I imagine the weather altered your initial plans for the weekend, eh? I just drove through sleet for 5 hours getting home from a business trip north of me.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Brian P.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: January 21, 2007, 04:31:00 PM »
Ray,

Actually, illness changed the plans. Not me, but the guy that has the key to the hunting cabin LOL.

Yea, I got some nice knives, but a couple I just cant bring myself to use. The Derr and Skiff being two of em. I love fine knives, but I hate things I dont use too. Such is my dilema. The sheath on the Skiff knife is made by Treestump leathers. Skiff has them made for each knife (or did) and is as fine as the knife.

I plan to get things out to you tomorrow. Got your MO.

BP
"As a rule, nothing does an arrow so much good as to shoot it, and nothing so much harm as to have it lie inactive and crowded in the quiver"   Saxton Pope

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: January 21, 2007, 05:31:00 PM »
Brian,

That is a Bob Dodd creation.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: January 21, 2007, 07:34:00 PM »
Wow ....  I cant believe the knives some of you people have thay are un real.... I hope youre not trying to get me hooked on something else!!
great job on these knives

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: January 21, 2007, 09:56:00 PM »
Here are some of my other knives.

Top is an custom AC Metsala Damascus Bowie,then an RW Clark custom hunter,then a Doug Campbell damascus,then a John Sevey custom, then a David Brozdiak custom and finally a tippet caper that I love.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline JohnHV

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: January 21, 2007, 10:11:00 PM »
Kerry,

Sorry its taken awhile to get back here. The knife you asked about is actually a highly figured birdseye maple.
John H.V.
Bent Arrow Forge, LLC
TBG, NGTA, TGMM
"our hearts have heard the low whistle of the flying arrow and the sweet hum of the bowstring singing..." S. Pope

Offline nick_the_tinkerer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: January 21, 2007, 11:56:00 PM »
ttt
Illegitimus Non Carborundum (Don't let the bastards grind you down)

NRA Life Member

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: January 22, 2007, 07:17:00 AM »
Brian P,

Sorry you missed out on hunting in that way...hopefully you have a little more season left???

Everyone else- beautiful knives all.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: January 22, 2007, 11:27:00 AM »
This is my favorite working knife of a rather large collection.  It has been a lifelong dream to own a Randall, and my wife had this one made for me.  This is my Randall Model 3 with Burl Maple handle.  This knife was blooded on a 340 class 6 point elk in September...

"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline Jock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: January 22, 2007, 03:27:00 PM »
From one extreme to the other

My Pumas

Last but not least

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: January 22, 2007, 07:28:00 PM »
Was able to use my Randall Model 3 circa 1978 on a 7 pt Florida whitetail yesterday evening which was the final evening of season. Fell to my Silvertip " procrastinator" . Oops silvertip is a different thread.

All of my Randalls get used as soon as I get them. They don't seem to lose value if used. Don't have many , just 4 with one on order.

Dad gave me the 1st one when I was 17 on Christmas 78.

Randall ain't anything magical to use. A good Buck or Gerber cuts and sharpens as well, maybe better. It's more of a feel ,or how it's balanced that sets them apart for me. But mostly it's the fact that it's a Randall. Wish I could post my pics but I'm technically impaired.
DonD

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: January 22, 2007, 07:29:00 PM »
Was able to use my Randall Model 3 circa 1978 on a 7 pt Florida whitetail yesterday evening which was the final evening of season. Fell to my Silvertip " procrastinator" . Oops silvertip is a different thread.

All of my Randalls get used as soon as I get them. They don't seem to lose value if used. Don't have many , just 4 with one on order.

Dad gave me the 1st one when I was 17 on Christmas 78.

Randall ain't anything magical to use. A good Buck or Gerber cuts and sharpens as well, maybe better. It's more of a feel ,or how it's balanced that sets them apart for me. But mostly it's the fact that it's a Randall. Wish I could post my pics but I'm technically impaired.
DonD

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: January 22, 2007, 07:30:00 PM »
isn't that armguard a pretty little bugger!!!!!

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: January 22, 2007, 07:46:00 PM »
NDTerminator

Not to be picky, but the pic of the knife you have is not a Randall Model 3.  It's a model 8, or more commonly known as a Bird & Trout with a Maple Burl handle.  That knife was made on a special run for AG Russell, a rather well known knife shop.  Do a search for AG Russell knives.  Go to the Randall section and you'll see that knife.  A model 3 has a bit of an upswept tip and does not have the top edge sharpened as does the model 8.  Go to my post on page 6.  Right hand column, 2nd knife from the top.  THAT'S a model 3.
Otto

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: January 22, 2007, 08:08:00 PM »
Jock I can pm you my address if'n ya wanna send me that Campbell bear claw BOLO!LOL<><
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline flntknp17

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: January 22, 2007, 09:11:00 PM »
Made last week.......this one may get donated to the Primitive Archer benefit northern bow package that is currently being worked on.

Purplish Edwards Plateau chert with a shed deer antler handle and rawhide wrap.

Matt

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©