INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Possible Stupid question from a newbie  (Read 419 times)

Offline mastin03

• Trad Bowhunter
Possible Stupid question from a newbie
« on: January 15, 2009, 08:52:00 AM »
All,

After the first one, as many of you suggested, ive got the bug and really want to find some materials to get rolling on another knife and try to refine the process a little bit.  I was at home depot last night and saw they had what was labled as "welding plate steel" that was 1/8" x 4"x3feet.  The only description i could find was that it was a hot rolled steel of some kind.  Is this suitable material for a knife?  Does anyone know what type of steel this would be?  Sorry if this is s stupid question, but not knowing anything about steel outside of the structural engineering classes i took, i have no idea what im looking for in terms of knives. A little help would be greatly appreciated.
Passin' on advice from my old man, "Keep your feathers dry."

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Possible Stupid question from a newbie
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 09:01:00 AM »
That's a low carbon steel and not suitable for a knife.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline mastin03

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 09:04:00 AM »
thats what i needed, thanks....do you think just a metal supply store would have high carbon steels in the dimensions needed?
Passin' on advice from my old man, "Keep your feathers dry."

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 11:17:00 AM »
Here y'go Clayton......  01 steeel stock, from Jantz  

This is just the basic 01 carbon tool steel. There are other steels available from Jantz, but this is probably the simplest to work & heat treat & the hardest to go wrong with. You don't need any special equipment; a good BBQ, magnet, veg oil & a household oven will see you right through the process, very successfully.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©