3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bowyers...Thunderbird Epoxy use  (Read 280 times)

Offline Canadabowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
Bowyers...Thunderbird Epoxy use
« on: January 24, 2008, 01:33:00 PM »
Any and all opinions about this finish appreciated and what kind of respirator do you use. Thanks, Bob
"non illegitimus carborundum est"

Offline Bodork

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bowyers...Thunderbird Epoxy use
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 06:53:00 PM »
I love the stuff. It takes a LONG time to dry though. The satin is my favorite.

Online Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 07:57:00 PM »
Its a great finish. Fills and rubs out good to. The only down side is the drying time. I use a good cartridge type respirator
High on Archery.

Offline R.W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 10:41:00 PM »
CanadaBowyer,

Jim Godden of Mississippi Lake Longbow in Ontario, wrote an article about brush finishing with Thunderbird Epoxy.

The article was in Bowyers Journal, I believe, summer, 07 issue.

R.W.

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 10:57:00 PM »
I allow 24 hours between coats.  I do 3 full coats then splatter the last coat.  Finishing a bow ties up the shop for 4 days.  Certainly is durable though.  

I use an airbrush now because it goes through 1/3rd of the finish an hvlp goes through.  Stuff isn't cheap.  Chad

Offline Canadabowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 11:17:00 PM »
Thank you all,I just finished two longbows with it and really liked the job it did.I cured it in the heatbox at 100 degrees so only 4 hours between each coat. The odor was stronger than other epoxys I have used in the past so I am wondering which cartridge is the proper one.  Organic Vapor or acid gas? or possibly another that I don't know about.   Bob

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 07:47:00 AM »
The vapor is the thinner that you use.  We have a cartridge for paint, not the dust one.  Works great.  We have been using it for eight months now and have been very satisfied with he performance.  You can't find a tougher finish.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Canadabowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008, 05:49:00 PM »
I contacted the owners of Thunderbird epoxy and the correct cartridge is"organic vapor with charcoal". I am brushing the finish and it works easy with a minimum of sanding between coats.The artical that R.W. mentioned is a good one.It is in the Summer 2007 issue of "The Bowyers Journal".Thank you all for the input. This is what makes the "Trad Gang" so great.   Bob

Offline Bryan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008, 06:06:00 PM »
I also use it with superb results...once its taken a full cure the stuff is nearly bullet proof....I also cure mine in my heat box around 90-100 degrees. Like regular epoxy, its supposed to make it harden better with heat. It also makes it go a little faster!

Bryan

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008, 03:27:00 AM »
MMM problem I have with all the slow drying finishes is lint and dust. What do you do about that with a finish that takes a full day to dry?

Offline Canadabowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2008, 01:07:00 PM »
Sixby,I wipe down the bow with denatured alcohol after sanding and then after appling the finish I put it in the bow oven at reduced heat to dry.About 4 hours at 100 degrees F. I keep the oven as clean as possible by keeping it closed up when working in the shop and wipe it out once in a while.Any minor dust flecks can be taken out after the finish cures completly with #0000 steel wool. Hope this helps, I am still learning myself and this forum is great!!   Bob

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©