INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Removing wood  (Read 675 times)

Offline z-man

• Trad Bowhunter
Removing wood
« on: February 09, 2009, 09:30:00 PM »
OK I knew it would happen, I glued on some wood for the full tang knife that I am working on and I do not like the look already. I used 2hr. epoxy. Do I really have to trim and sand the pieces off, or is there another way? Thanks, Eric

Offline Wampus

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Removing wood
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 09:54:00 PM »
You can heat it to 200 degrees or a little more and it greatly weakens the epoxy bond.  That shouldn't be enough heat to hurt the steel.

Offline z-man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 03:15:00 PM »
Finally a day off of work to work on the knife. I didn't remove the wood, decided to try and finish it then decide. I got done finish sanding and I noticed that one of the pieces was loose, so I popped them off. The bond to the knife blade was junk. I guess that I can use another wood now. Thanks for the heating tip. z-man

Offline skullworks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 04:26:00 PM »
Make sure both surfaces are clean! Wipe them down with acetone or alcohol. I rough up the surface of the tang and the handle to give the epoxy something to bite into.
'cuz deer huntin' ain't catch & release!

Offline z-man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 09:17:00 PM »
Yea I thought that I had cleaned everything with the acetone, but I must have missed something. I was using some Lignum Vitae that I had picked up at Woodcraft. The wood is very dense and waxy feeling. It plugs up sandpaper like nobodys business. I have a couple of 1/4 x 2 1/2 x 4 1/2 pieces left if anyone wants them. Just let me know and I will send them out. I have decided to use some osage that I have. Thanks for the help.

Offline woodsman1031

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 01:15:00 AM »
PM sent
Jesus Saves!

Offline z-man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 03:16:00 PM »
Wood is gone.

Users currently browsing this topic: