INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: belt speed  (Read 629 times)

Offline Mark N

• Trad Bowhunter
belt speed
« on: February 19, 2009, 12:33:00 PM »
At approx speed does your belt sander run for stock removal?  I see that the 2x42 Sears runs at 4400fpm, and their wider 4-6" sanders run a little over 1000fpm.  Is the 4400fpm too fast? Or is lots of cooling going to be ok?

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: belt speed
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 12:40:00 PM »
I have the Sears 2x42... it runs too fast IMO.  You wear out belts faster than you should.  Cooling really isn't an issue if you're grinding before doing the heat treatment.  On my list of projects is to convert it to a belt drive with a step pulley to control the speed
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline woodsman1031

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 01:29:00 PM »
Jeremy,

Another member here suggested to me putting a dimmer switch on a blower to slow down the speed. I think it was lawren. I wonder if you could do the same to your belt sander?

Tommy
Jesus Saves!

Offline Todd Robbins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 09:53:00 PM »
Adding a dimmer switch like the ones you use to dim lights will dim the power along with the speed.  The 4600 sfm is very fast.  I have a Craftsman 2x42 that I used to use all the time, and that speed took a lot of getting used to.  The wider sanders aren't set up very well to grind knives on, but can be made to do a passable job with some work, like adding a better platen.

Todd

Offline dave hiltz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 12:59:00 PM »
I use a reastat switch on my craftsman and it works great, you can get the switch at radio shack.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©