INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: pearl queastion  (Read 689 times)

Offline rod sarver

• Trad Bowhunter
pearl queastion
« on: February 21, 2009, 09:31:00 AM »
I was wantin to know if anybody knows if this might work?. I have a little silt pond behind my house and we always find muscle shells that the ol coons left behind and they have that pearl look on the inside. Me and my daughter was thinkin if we would steam them shells until plyable press them between two boards and clamp until dry so we could use on handles? Thanks - Rod
Everything has a place and purpose, and when it gets out of place, it's loosing it's purpose. (my Grandpa )

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: pearl queastion
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 09:58:00 AM »
I love you "0utside the box" thinking but I do not believe those shells would ever become soft enough? I guess you could try it and see what happens?  Got nothing to loose.  I would use somthing besides wood to clamp them I think to smooth plates of steel or at least some tin backed boards to keep the moisture out of the wood and elimintate warpage.

Keep us posted

Offline mwmwmb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 10:20:00 AM »
I dont think it will work either. I am assuming what you  are talking about is asian clams. maybe you could post a pic. but anyways the they are like 95% calcium carbonate and will just crumble. the stuff you see on knives is probably large freshwater species and marine ones.

Offline prarieboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 06:40:00 PM »
Not to Step on anyone But I say try it! Only one way to know! One other thought is myabe it could be cut and used in smaller pieces as inlays? Gotta Remember I Basicly live in a desert though. So I don't know jack. Just thinkin and thats a dangerous habit for me.  :bigsmyl:  
C-Ya Bob
Look up!It's ALL above us.

Offline theunluckyhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 07:45:00 PM »
abalone shells a massive amigo. the ones i have seen were like 1/4 inch thick and i believe they laminate those after grinding parts flat to have pieces big enough.

but i'm willing to bet you could get some inlays out of the bigger ones
anything can happen on a texas friday night, if you dont mind your manners you dont mind a fight

Offline JMR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 05:05:00 PM »
Give it a shot. The only thing your wasting is free shells and time, but if your doing it with your kids is the time really wasted? Certainly not. So go for it and good luck!

Offline Bill Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 12:25:00 PM »
I don't know what type of mussells you have, some of the mussells out of the rivers around here are thick enough, but most are not large enough for the scales.  Use a belt sander, with a dust bag, out side.  Work on the back mostly.  Don't get it too hot.  Polish by hand with really fine wet/dry sandpaper.  Use olive oil to bring up the shine.  This works for beads.  Bill

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©