INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: File help?  (Read 596 times)

Offline ALW

• Trad Bowhunter
File help?
« on: February 23, 2009, 08:01:00 AM »
I'm having a heck of time with turning files into knives.  The first problem is that every time I anneal a file it seems to warp.  As I've discussed on another thread, it's probably my fault from one side cooling a little faster than the other.  A question I have is would it be advantageous (or a problem) to wire several files together while annealing so that there is more metal to hold the heat and hopefully they will cool slower?

The second problem is that my file knives tend to warp when I quench them.  I had one that I hammered flat (both cold and hot) and it still warped some when I quenched it.  I normalized it several times before quenching and quenched in 160 degree motor oil.  How are you guys getting this done without warping?

I am a novice at this am just into making simple knives from stock removal.  I'm still working on controlling my fire but when I quench I go straight from the fire to the oil and put the blade in edge down.  No side to side movement.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Aaron

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: File help?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 05:47:00 PM »
how thin are you grinding them?
have i not commanded you? be strong and of good courage;be not afraid or discouraged:for the Lord your God is with you where ever you go. joshua 1:9

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 08:16:00 PM »
Can we see a picture of the next one before you quench? You might get some suggestions based on how it's gound at that point. I'm particularly interested in the shape of the spine. Is it ground even? Lin
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline ALW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 07:07:00 AM »
I'm just grinding the bevel down (and not all the way to the spine) and doing little grinding to the sides.  You can still see the file groves in them.  I've tried to leave the edge about as thick as a dime, from what I've read on here.  The last one did have the edge thinner due to me reworking the edge and blade shape.

The files I've used so far are fairly narrow and thin.  Maybe that's my problem.  Too small of a file.  I've got a couple of thicker files that may work better.  I think the small ones would work great for a little caper, but maybe they are too thin for my abilities.

Aaron

Offline Montauks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 08:48:00 AM »
I had the same thing happen to me yesterday, a slight bend in almost in the middle of my "blade" (cut off from a saw)..I reheated it in my coffee can firebrick forge then hammered it to flatten back out then annealed it again...when I anneal the blade I stick it in a bag of "*Vermiculite" with the point of the blade pointing to magnetic north.

* Vermiculite...found at garden centers, used to enhance soil but makes a good insulator.
What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset.

Crowfoot, Blackfoot warrior and orator

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©