INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Northeast Cutlery Collector Assoc Knife Show  (Read 540 times)

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Northeast Cutlery Collector Assoc Knife Show
« on: March 29, 2009, 07:04:00 PM »
NCCA had a knife show about a 1/2 hour from my home today.  Mostly it was collectors and sellers of collectible & production knives with a few guys that are making some very nice stock removal knives.  Nobody seemed to be forging blades...but I did come up with a few great finds on handle material.

Trying to find some interesting handle material for my newly forged Kesslar/tippit blade, I met this fellow (originally from the UK) who had switched for large knives to folders.  He pulled out some India Stag in slabs that was Magnificent and Large   :eek:    He said he'd had it for some years and couldn't use it anymore...well there didn't seem to be any makers interested and I got a very good deal  :)

Also came across some micarta blocks in a light jade color 2"x5"x3/4".  It was the type of thing you'd just walk by and not pay any attention...except he had a small hunter with thin scales.  The stuff was translucent compared to other paper or canvas micarta.  At $2.00 per block, I picked a few to try.  I think it will make a very pretty lades blade.

I also got to see and hold a couple Winkler blades and saw some interesting new file work designs.  All in all I had a great time day.  Plus I felt a little like a kid at Halloween with my goody bag heading home...tippit
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline kbaknife

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Northeast Cutlery Collector Assoc Knife Show
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 08:32:00 PM »
I know the feeling, Jeff.
I am ALWAYS in "material mode".
Everywhere I go, everything I'm doing, doesn't matter, I am ALWAYS keeping my eyes open for a steel supply, wrought iron, unique and interesting handle material, etc.
Sometimes it can really pay off!
When the last deer disappears into the morning mist,
When the last elk vanishes from the hills,
When the last buffalo falls on the plains,
I will hunt mice for I am a hunter and I must have my freedom.
Chief Joseph

Offline Steve Nuckels

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Northeast Cutlery Collector Assoc Knife Show
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 08:35:00 PM »
Sounds like you had a great time indeed!  I'm anticipating your new knife debut!
---------------
IN GOD WE TRUST

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©