INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Good epoxy?  (Read 1364 times)

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
Good epoxy?
« on: April 10, 2009, 07:25:00 AM »
Guys, I have been using Devcon 2/hr-2/ton on my knives, but it's getting hard to find more and more. I wonder why? Do you guys know a reliable source? I also have to keep in mind the possibility of finding a good replacement for it. Thanks, Lin
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline prarieboy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Good epoxy?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 07:29:00 AM »
Hey Lin local ---marts have went to loctite too!
Try jantz. C-Ya Bob
Look up!It's ALL above us.

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 07:30:00 AM »
I use the single use two part epoxy from dollar general . It is made by superglue and is just about the right amount for the job. Drew
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline kbaknife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 07:52:00 AM »
West System, Lin.
Comes in quarts, gallons, etc. You buy the resin and then it has both fast and slow hardeners.
Each can has its own pump and you just give a full pump of what ever you want - fast or slow - for the appropriate mix.
These are my thoughts:
West System Epoxy is a marine epoxy. It's designed for LIFETIME use in a marine environment of alwyas being wet, in salt water, using cleaning agents on boats, exposed to UV, gasoline, extremem hot and cold temps, etc.
And is still supposed to hold boats together upon which people's lives may depend.
The first time up, you need to buy not only the resin and the hardener, but the pumps. But you only need to buy the pumps one time.
Here at my Walmart I see they wuit selling Devcon and now sell something else.
I have also heard - somewhere - what the store bought 2-tube epoxies have a usefull time limit. After extended exposure to UV or water, they break down.
Keeps you buying more.
West System can't risk to breaking down when lives may be in the balance.
I have a friend who build custom cabinetry and is known for his custom wet-bars.
When he installs a new wet-bar in a basement environment, he actually drills over-sized mounting holes in the floor, fills them with West System epoxy, drill and TAPS the epoxy and bolts his bars to that!
The stuff is unreal.
There are a lot of on-line places to buy it, but if you live anywhere there is boat construction or near a marina, or maybe even hobby canoe builders and such, you may have it available in your own back yard.
I get it about 30 minutes from where I live at a custom cabinetry building supply.
 http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/search.do?refineType=1&refineName=Brand&refineValue=WEST%20System&refine=1&page=GRID&history=xq4b7mop|other|freeText~west%2Bsystem%2 Bepoxy^page~GRID&engine=adwords!6456&keyword=west_system_epoxy
When the last deer disappears into the morning mist,
When the last elk vanishes from the hills,
When the last buffalo falls on the plains,
I will hunt mice for I am a hunter and I must have my freedom.
Chief Joseph

Offline Montauks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 08:31:00 AM »
I'm a big fan of   J-B Weld  it's tough stuff, the only drawback is it's gray and not clear, but when I checked there web site they also carry a marine product which I have not tried.
Gene
What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset.

Crowfoot, Blackfoot warrior and orator

Offline woodsman1031

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 01:47:00 PM »
I just saw Devcon at Lowes the other day, but it was the 5 minute version. I have never found it anywhere but wal-mart in the past.

I second the dollar General stuff. Just the right amount and it sets up HARD like Devcon, and not "hard gummy" like loctite.

Tommy
Jesus Saves!

Offline LONGBOWKID

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 03:15:00 PM »
Its getting more and more difficult to find ANY epoxies here. I also question this...

Good luck on your search
Turkey Creek Longbows
60" 46#@29"
62" 51@29"
62" 61#@29"
62" 77#@29"

Holm-Made Osprey
60" 67#@29"

Offline SoNevada Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 06:59:00 PM »
Lin
I use the same glue and love it also!
I have been able to get it through "True Value" hardware stores in So. Utah and Nevada.
It does seem to be getting harder to get in the larger hardware stores...so when I find it, I buy most, if not all the tubes I can get my greedy little hands on!

Good luck!
The doom of man...that he forgets!

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 08:30:00 PM »
Lin, I noticed the same thing you mention.  And don't like the Loc Tite either.
I just ordered some from Pop's, they say "good enough to put our name on it".  Well, I just received it, a 9 oz combined package consisting of 2 bottles for 11 bucks.  Way cheaper than Devcon.  
There are 3 varieties: 5 minute, 15 minute, and 30 minute set.  
Dan

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 08:59:00 PM »
I just got back from Home Depot and they only have Loctite. I'm under the impression that medium to slow setting epoxies are tougher. That may or may not be true, but I read it somewhere. I do know that I had to bust a handle off of a knife once that I use 5 minute Devcon on and it just did'nt withsatnd much abuse to get the handle off. I thought it should have been tougher. Of course I was using a 2 lb hammer on it while holding on an anvil.    :)  

I'm probably going to go with Karl's West System epoxy. It looks like what I want. Lin
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 09:31:00 PM »
I'll second the marine epoxy but I've been using a brand call Rakka, (if I remember right) that sounds just like the West Systems stuff Karl has. Instead of the pumps I just use 6CC syringes like I'd give a horse or cow a shot with. I painted the top of one orange for the hardner and the other black for the resin. It's been working out very well for me.
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2009, 10:21:00 PM »
Of course, I forgot to mention, that Smooth On is about as tough as I have ever seen epoxy get. (Get it from 3 Rivers and Bingham Projects)
Used to make bows, it gets hard enough that when you break it it can cut you.  But obviously, can take flexing that a bow had.  It is very slow, 24 hr cure by itself and 4 hrs in an oven.
JB weld is a great epoxy, but the grey...yuck.
Dan

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2009, 05:34:00 AM »
I'am with Dan Smooth-On thats the only brand of epoxy I buy anymore.Works great for everything.As he mentioned app'ed in thin layers is flexable enough for laminated bows.If baked will become almost rock hard.Sandable and paintable great stuff...bd

Offline Bodork

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2009, 09:24:00 PM »
Can you use smooth-on for the scales of a full tang handle? Will it adhere to the metal?

Offline kbaknife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2009, 10:07:00 PM »
One thing to remember through all of this is that "epoxy" or other types of adhesives used in knife making are NOT to be depended upon to hold the knife togther.
They just won't.
That's what your pins and bolts are for.
But, I'll admit that we DO want them to hold as much as possible.
In the end, the adhesives we use are more to be depended upon for their sealing abilities. They need to fill all of the voids to keep the environment OUT.
I state the above to empahsize the point that the department store "in the tubes" 2 part epoxies are designed with the hobbiest and homeowner in mind who is in search of a quick fix.
Not only the West Systwm that I mentioned, but the others mentioned by Doug Campbell and  Dan Masson are PROFESSIONAL epoxies that are designed to be used with dissimilar materials and designed to resist all types of temperature extremes, solvents, UV exposure, etc.
If you want the best - buy the best.
When the last deer disappears into the morning mist,
When the last elk vanishes from the hills,
When the last buffalo falls on the plains,
I will hunt mice for I am a hunter and I must have my freedom.
Chief Joseph

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2009, 12:38:00 AM »
Smooth on is recommended for use with the Bow Bolt TD system which is a wood to metal joint.  Surface preparation is the most important step but then I'm preaching to the choir here.  Chad

Offline dave hiltz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2009, 06:56:00 AM »
I am with Karl, being a commecial fisherman, I use west system often and use it in my knives, and love it.  Try some and follow the directions to the letter!  Good Luck.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2009, 02:20:00 PM »
Doug,
I use RAKKA also and love it. Great marine epoxy and the one handle I tried to remove ended up being a complete grind off...could not get the glue to let go.

I get mine from a place in Florida.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2009, 07:19:00 AM »
I tried the 5 minute epoxy from Pop's, it is comparable to Devcon and is a lot cheaper.
As mentioned before I think by Karl, it is there to keep blood and water out and hold together while assembling handle.  The pins provide the majority of the strength and holding power after completion.
Dan

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2009, 07:38:00 PM »
i always use nhp slow set epoxy.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©