INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Steel Choice?  (Read 479 times)

Offline LONGBOWKID

• Trad Bowhunter
Steel Choice?
« on: April 12, 2009, 04:39:00 AM »
I will be ordering from Jantz soon, and I am looking for some steel stock, to give me the ability of being more consistant in the thickness of my blades, and having more options.

What would you fellas that have used a little of everything reccomend?

I love the price on the 1095 high carbon but the 0-1 isnt too much pricier. Its a toss up between 1095, and 0-1.

Your choice, and opinion?

The Kid
Turkey Creek Longbows
60" 46#@29"
62" 51@29"
62" 61#@29"
62" 77#@29"

Holm-Made Osprey
60" 67#@29"

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Steel Choice?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 09:26:00 AM »
To get the most out of O1 you really need a digitally controlled furnace for the final heat treat.  You can get by with out it, but the characteristics of the tempered steel probably won't be ideal.

1095 is a good steel and I use it extensively, but you have to be a little careful when hardening.  It needs a very fast quench to harden properly, which means a pricey oil or water.  With water, if you overheat it a little the blade will crack.  You can use a veggie oil (and I do), but you need to keep the knives smaller.

A better choice would be to order some 1080 or 5160 from Texas Knife.  My thoughts anyway  :)
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©