INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: I need some information  (Read 552 times)

Offline DANA HOLMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
I need some information
« on: April 22, 2009, 12:07:00 PM »
Guys
most of you guys have help me out in some way or another and i have a big thanks you for that.
I've only been making knives for about 4 months and have produced about 15 knives, but i'm trying to make as good as a knife as all of you do.
i would like to know how you guys tell, how hard your blades are. do you send them off and have them tested?
i use 01 tool steel heat to nonmagnetic, let it soak for about 20 min. more and them quence it, tempering is done @ 400 degree for 1 hour.
if anyone can tell me how to or where to test it at, or tell me what rockwell hardness this would be.
i say thank you
dana
"When Satan is knocking at your door,
Simply say,

"Jesus, could you get that for me?"

Offline kbaknife

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I need some information
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 08:03:00 PM »
With the info you give here, Dana, it is difficult to answer your questions.
How are you holding your steel at temp for 20 minutes?
Non-magnetic is 1414 or so and O1 should be held at between 1450-1500 and then quenched in a medium speed oil.
What oil are you using?
If you get your O1 fully austenized and then a full martensite transformation, one, 1 hour, 400 degree draw is insufficient.
You would need a minimum 2 hour draw, twice.
You will get retained austenite to transform martensite on the first temper, which will then also need to be tempered/stress relieved on the second go-round.
But this is all assuming that you got full hard on the hardening cycle.
O1 is not all that easy to get full hardness on  with simple equipment.
A person can have some success, but the alloy content of O1 really requires a good long, controlled soak at above 1450. And THEN quenched in a proper medium speed oil of sufficient volume to accomodate the blade.
If you got O1 full hard on the quench, you should not even be able to scratch it with a file.
Then you temper accordingly.
Seems too much attention is place on tempering and not enough on getting full hard to being with.
When the last deer disappears into the morning mist,
When the last elk vanishes from the hills,
When the last buffalo falls on the plains,
I will hunt mice for I am a hunter and I must have my freedom.
Chief Joseph

Offline DANA HOLMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 08:40:00 AM »
Karl
I'm still useing the one brick forge with two propane torches, as far as the right temp. and holding above or at 1450 degrees, I'm not sure.
I may not be getting the full hardness, because when i test the blade with the file, it has never bit into the blade, but with the blackening on the blade the file will leave a scratch.

As far as the oil, i'm still useing veg oil.
So if i am reading this right i should be heating twice, right.

I don't mean to sound dumb, but with me only doing this for about 4 months, i don't understand the hole thing about all the different steel.

I did find a place to do the rockwell hardness test here in dallas for 5.00 and punch, they normaly do 3 punches. i think this is pretty cheap.
anyway thanks karl,
dana
"When Satan is knocking at your door,
Simply say,

"Jesus, could you get that for me?"

Offline kbaknife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 08:56:00 AM »
I sent you a link.
When the last deer disappears into the morning mist,
When the last elk vanishes from the hills,
When the last buffalo falls on the plains,
I will hunt mice for I am a hunter and I must have my freedom.
Chief Joseph

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©