3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Discolored Feathers  (Read 158 times)

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
Discolored Feathers
« on: January 25, 2008, 08:15:00 AM »
I picked up a bunch of feathers not long ago that are discolored, especially the white ones.  They are more ivory or light tan than white.  They also have a very disagreeable odor (possibly from a smoking environment).  I opened the box in the house and had to open the windows and doors to air it out-it was about 30 degrees outside (the feathers are now in my shop and are not suitable for hunting).  Any ideas or suggestions how to get the feathers back to something approximating original-no odor and white?
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Discolored Feathers
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 08:51:00 AM »
You shouldn't use those. Just send them to me.    :biglaugh:
Seriously, you can wash them.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 10:40:00 AM »
Jerry,

I would send them to you, but don't want to chance spreading some horrible illness.  If I do contract some dread disease from them, I'll leave them to you in my will.

Phil
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 11:40:00 AM »
I'd wash them in soap and water, let them dry then stream them to fluff them up.
lll

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 11:40:00 AM »
Steam them, not "stream" them. Sorry
lll

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 05:49:00 PM »
Check out 3 Rivers catalog and get a packet of dye and redye them.  This would also take care of the smell, as you are putting them in nearly boiling water for about 1 minute.  I make all my feathers from turkeys I have shot.  I dye them then let them dry.  Works good, just DO NOT spill any of the dye ( mixed in water) on anything.  Might want to do it out in your shop, your wife will kill you if you spill any in the house.  Use a old roaster pan for heating the mix and dying that has an enamel coating.  A small packet makes one gallon of dye.  Several colors to choose from.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©