INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Who wears a Leatherman or other multi?  (Read 1597 times)

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Who wears a Leatherman or other multi?
« on: April 29, 2009, 10:53:00 PM »
I have had a leatherman for many years on my hip. This may have been asked before but need your input. I have 3 different types and use them all the time. I hate the Wave with the removable screwdrivers! What is your input? Thank you, Steve.

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who wears a Leatherman or other multi?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 11:05:00 PM »
I like the wave for the easy open blades, I keep one in my pack when in the woods and when its not in my pack its in my truck
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 08:58:00 AM »
I have several scattered all over the place for easy access. Plus I either wear it hunting or keep it in my pack.  Don't like the nylon/velcro sheath so just made up a few leather ones...Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 09:04:00 AM »
I feel naked if i head out without mine on my hip. Like Tippit, I don't like the velcro and nylon sheath but havn't done anything about it yet. Must remove a digit and get going on that  :scared:
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline archenemy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 09:11:00 AM »
I only buy ones that have a belt clip attached.  If I forget to have it at times and need it my wife asks me if I'm sick or just loosing my mind.  Leaving home without it is like leaving you wallet or phone behind.
I am my own worst enemy!!!

Offline mwmwmb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 09:40:00 AM »
I have a leatherman and a Gerber. I preferr the Gerber.

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 09:55:00 AM »
I also have several, but prefer the Gerber. You can open the pliers one handed. I made a tight fitting leather sheath for it and almost all the time when I pull it out it "deploys". I have the model with standard jaws, not needle nose.

I use it mostly as a pliers. The other tools (screw drivers, knife blades, file, saw etc.) are handy, but if I only need a knife I generally have one of those on me as well.

For Christmas as a stocking stuffer, I got a tiny little multi-tool with a small needle nose and a flashlight. I thought it was cute but wasn't sure if it would be more than a trinket. It has been VERY handy. The tools on it are very small and are handy for things like fixing sunglasses or fly reels, cleaning mud out of small places when you slip and fall (don't ask!) or other small jobs that the big multi-tool would be either over kill for or simply not capable of doing. And... who can beat another small flashlight. It is very small and very compact.

I carry these to tools and one good folding knife whenever I am in the field.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 02:36:00 PM »
Thanks alot guys for answering! Razorbak , exactly,naked without it! Tippit, not crazy about the nylon either, all mine are in leather. One handed out of nylon is tough without a hog leg wrap! My problem with the Wave is the removeable screwdrivers. Mine broke within the first month of use. And I also lost the tiny glasses driver somewhere. Anyway, I'm a welder fabricator by trade, and use them alot. I have looked at the Gerber types, but the made in china stops me. We bought my son one a few years back that has the red key light on it and locking blade. Nice little package! Keep 'em sharp and I want to hear more comments, please. Steve

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 08:44:00 PM »
I have a Schrade that has served me very well. The lock mechanism on some of the blades got bent and wouldn't lock the knife and screwdriver in place. I sent it and 5 bucks to them, they sent me a new one with a new sheath!
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 09:58:00 PM »
That"s good business right there, Kenny! I don't care who you are! I almost bought a schrade, but looked a little bulky. They do make some good knives! Will you be goimg to Cloverdale in June, Kenny?

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2009, 10:04:00 PM »
Not sure about Cloverdale, but Comptons for sure.
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2009, 09:23:00 AM »
Originally posted by archenemy:
I only buy ones that have a belt clip attached.  If I forget to have it at times and need it my wife asks me if I'm sick or just loosing my mind.  Leaving home without it is like leaving you wallet or phone behind.
Great minds think alike  :D  

The Leatherman Charge with belt clip for me, I never leave home without it!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2009, 12:16:00 PM »
I'm a networking guy by trade (design/install/troubleshoot both copper and fiber optic networks). I have a Leatherman Wave on my hip at all times. In my line of work, it gets a lot of use. Even when I'm not at work, it's on my hip 99% of the time. I remember when I had one of the first version's of the leatherman and was splicing a cable using "beanies" and the jaws snapped right at the pivot point. Took it to REI and the guy said he never saw one fail in that manner and replaced it on the spot. Been a fan of their products for a long time. In fact, I also carry one of their Monarch 500 LED flashlight's daily also. Good stuff!

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=182032
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline trad-hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2009, 01:37:00 PM »
I wear a leatherman super tool everyday. I probably use it everyday for something. Dont know how anyone can get by without one.
In God We Trust.
 www.pocketpower.org/284166

Offline Scout Two Feathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2009, 08:22:00 PM »
Got a Swiss victorinox but don't care too much for it. Perfer just having the ole pocket knife,
TF

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2009, 11:48:00 PM »
I use a Gerber.  It's still in that black nylon belt sheath.  It deserves leather and will get it before hunting season end of August.

The Gerber has such high carbon steel that it will flash rust in a second.  It needs to be soaked in oil when it's new.  Thereafter you can wash it and get it reasonably dry and it won't rust.  Since mine might get used in food prep, it got soaked in veg oil!
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Chester Thompson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2009, 01:14:00 PM »
I have used several of them, and the only one that I have carried is the SOG paratool.

Hated the Gerber because I would all ways pinch the skin on my palm ever time I would use it.

I have not carried on in years now. Wow has it really been that long?
Ask me about CTO.

Offline imua-06

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2009, 02:37:00 AM »
To each his own.  I am not a fan of the multitools, but I know many people are.  I prefer a fixed blade knife and real tools (dikes, linesmans pliers, etc.)  I own a Gerber, a Leathermen--normal size and a mini one, and I even have a cheap Chinese knock-off.  All of them were given to me as gifts.  Between getting my hands pinched and not being able to get the work done, because the tools are too small, I just stopped carry them.
Honor is a gift a man gives himself that no one can take away.

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2009, 03:52:00 AM »
I've got 2 Gerbers, one needle nose, the other regular flat nose.  The needle nose pair is what goes with me most the time.  The one handed opening is what sold me on the Gerbers.  What I don't like is the hand pinching.  When I was doing construction, the tool got used everyday.  Seems to me that multipliers are the 30-06 of hand tools, will get the job done in most cases, but not the best tool for anything.  

A side note you all might be itnerested in, here in Japan it is now illegal to carry a blade longer than 5.5cm, that's about 2 inches for the metrically challenged.  Exceptions are made if you are diving, fishing, or doing a job which requires a knife, but you have to be engaged in those activites.  I used to always have my Gerber in my pack when I was out and about, now I don't since as a foreigner I can be stopped and searched at any time without cause.  The reason for the new law was due to a whacko driving a delivery truck into a crowd then jumping out and stabbing a bunch of people with a kitchen knife, he killed 7 and wounded 15.  Tragic.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand!    :campfire:

Offline Wampus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2009, 09:21:00 AM »
I've got the old style leatherman that I bought in 1988 when I moved to Yuma, AZ.  It was great to have while hiking around in the desert because I seemed to always wind up with a cholla thorn stuck in a boot or body part and the pliers made pulling them out pretty easy.  I don't wear it daily anymore now that I live in TN but it lives in the armrest compartment of my pickup.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©