INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Patch knives  (Read 765 times)

Offline pintail_drake2004

• Trad Bowhunter
Patch knives
« on: May 01, 2009, 05:40:00 PM »
Hi folks, i am trying to find a reference for a patch knife. would like to try to make one with a curly maple handle so it will match my rifle. Does anyone have a sample they could show? I would really appreciate the help.

Pintail

Offline William Tell Not

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Patch knives
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 06:58:00 PM »
Dixie gun works used to have kits, and made knives

The on-line catalog really sucks. Id send the 5 bucks and order a paper one.
I shot an arrow into the air......
Still ain't found the bugger

Offline kbaknife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 07:22:00 PM »
I guess when it comes down to it, the "patch knives" that we make today are our own interpretation of what was REALLY used, which usually amounted to whatever knife the guy had at the time.
I may be wrong, but from what I've discovered in my own research so far is that there was no special "patch knife".
What might work well is a small knife that only had a single bevel - sharpened on one side.
That way, depending on right or left hand use, only the smooth side would be on top of the barrel. So you would not have a sharp cutting edge riding on the face of the barrel.
Check this out:
 http://newacquisitionmilitia.com/RESEARCH%20ON%20THE%20PATCH%20KNIFE.htm
When the last deer disappears into the morning mist,
When the last elk vanishes from the hills,
When the last buffalo falls on the plains,
I will hunt mice for I am a hunter and I must have my freedom.
Chief Joseph

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 12:06:00 AM »
Everything I've read up on says pretty much the same thing;  meaning pretty much nothing was mentioned about "patch" knives being used "in the day".

But, all of my several shooting bags have a patch knife sheath on the strap.  It is conveniant and unless I'm actually in the field hunting, etc., I most likely don't have a sheath knife on my belt.

A dedicated patch knife is well to have a rounded tip.  Much less likely to stab yourself in the process.  The Green River "patch" blade or also called a paring blade is a good design because it is not too sharp at the tip and if you want it rounded is easily ground off and will still have an adequate length.  

I've made those into patch knives using scales on the original shape, scales on a reground shape and ground to a narrow tang to insert into horn or whatever suits your fancy.

I made one for my grandson using the full fork of a forkhorn mule deer.  Plan was to cut the forks off and form a singular handle.  Did not have time to finish the job and gave it to him sheathed onto a bag I made him.  Told him to bring it by the house and I'd finish it off for him.  He would not hear of it and still wears the rig with that whole antler on the patch knive  :)  

This one is as simple as you can get with a piece of antler and a blade ground from a broken Sawsall blade.  Total cost;  about 5 cents worth of glue!

Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 04:19:00 PM »
Thank you for the help gents.

Monterey: would you happen to have a few close up pictures of the sheath on the shoulder strap? I made my horse hide possible bag and added a 1 1/4" strap. I think i left enough room to sew a sheath to it.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 08:45:00 PM »
Sorry about being so slow responding.  Here is a pic of another bag that shows the sheath design clearly.  You may not want yours mounted on the edge of the strap though.  I do it that way because I have secondary straps fastened to and parralel to the main straps that hold a powder horn (they are not yet attached in this picture)

Hope this helps

Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 12:56:00 AM »
thank you. that is a nice looking bag you got there.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©