INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: What is the best finish for wood handles?  (Read 649 times)

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
What is the best finish for wood handles?
« on: August 02, 2009, 11:19:00 AM »
I've been using Tung oil but I am worried just a couple light coats aren't enough for water proofing.It also takes 12 hours to cure between coats.

The Tung oil also seems to look different on the buffalo horn I sometimes use than on the wood when both are in a handle.

I'm experimenting by using a really thick coat of Tung Oil and sanding between coats but so far not so good.Even after 12 hours my first coat wasn't dry enough and I sanded through a couple small spots and the next light coat didn't completly cover the sanded through places.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What is the best finish for wood handles?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 12:39:00 PM »
Horn of any kind requires no finish if the material is sound.

Wood is dependent on type- I use a mixture of tung oil and linseed oil if I want to darken wood. It's my belief if you are not using wood like ironwood which is particularly dense you ought  to consider sending what you intend to use off to a stabilizer- essentially an acrylic material and often dyes are drawn into the wood fibers replacing moisture and empty spaces... stabilizing it.

Otherwise, you can be happily shaping away on a scale or handle block and a big chunk of wood flies off...rendering your piece either unusable..or at least requiring major repair work to complete.

Woods like walnut, maple, and any wood with spalting in it needs to be stabilized.

I'm not an expert..so wait to hear from others who are further along the path than I am.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 03:02:00 PM »
I agree that horn needs no finish and would probably look best without it.Sometimes I use a buffalo horn round spacer on a hidden tang blade.I haven't been able to tape it off accurately enough so that no edge line of finish doesn't show in the correct light.

Stabilized would be best but there is no way I could afford that on the limited ammount I make.I only use exotic scrap pieces from a bowyer friend.

Sometimes I use three different kinds of wood plus horn on a stick tang.

Tung oil may be my best bet.I just wish it didn't take so long to dry between coats.How many thin coats do you think it would need to protect from water on most exotic bow riser type woods?

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 03:46:00 PM »
Well I might be the only one but I use CA glue on my antler and sheep. Buff all ya want after awhile it gets dull. I alos use it on all my wood. I get the really thin stick it CA glue. Awesome stuff and better then 2 ton epoxy imo. the thinn is super thin and soaks up fast. But then I am no expert .<><  :readit:    "[dntthnk]"
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 05:17:00 PM »
Sticshooter
Do you use nothing but the CA glue? I tried some of the cheap thin stuff sold a Walmart 4 for $1. I just used it as a sealer and then sanded with 1000 grit wet dry and applied tung oil.It looked great except in one pin head place where I sanded through the superglue and the finish was dull in that spot.

Well,I just got done refinishing one.The thick tung oil looked bad to me so I buffed it all off and just applied wax and buffed again.I'm sure some of the tung oil soaked in but not sure if it is water proof enough.It looks really good now but I'm not sure what to do if anything to protect it from rain and such.

I just got high speed internet and will try to post some pictures for you guys.I'm just getting started and appreciate the help.

Thanks
Randy

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 05:39:00 PM »
All I uase. The stick it CA glue is great stuff. I put 4 or 6 coats and buff lightly with 0000 steel wool. Made a couple of kitchen knives for a few frieds at work(they cook out just about everyday. Been about 15 months and just saw the knives and the handles look great. But then ya can't be soaking them in soapy water for hours. The carbon blades rust fast it ya don't take care or them . But nothing beats a carbon blade for me.
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 06:40:00 PM »
Research the Massey finish, it is an epoxy finish. It will cost you about 5 dollars. You need to buy Devcon 2 ton epoxy and a can of acetone.

Tough as nails.  Because its epoxy its deadly to breathe your sanding dust...wear a respirator and gloves, long sleeves, etc.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 07:31:00 PM »
Thanks Ray
I do use a respirator.Haven't used gloves and sleeves when sanding but I don't take off the respirator untill I wash off.Gloves and Sleeves might be a good idea,can't be too careful.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©