INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Mosaic pins  (Read 800 times)

Offline TheBigRedArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Mosaic pins
« on: August 13, 2009, 12:36:00 PM »
Hey all:

Has anyone made their own mosaic pins, how easy is it. I assume that I should dry fit the pieces and then "inject" epoxy into the pins. Am I correct?

TBRA

Offline DANA HOLMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Mosaic pins
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 04:13:00 PM »
Chris
i made one about 12" long and still have most of it, It looked ok but not like you can buy, to answer you question, if you can inject it, it would be best, but i had to role the pins in the epoxy and then insert them,(what a mess), if you figure it out let us know
dana
"When Satan is knocking at your door,
Simply say,

"Jesus, could you get that for me?"

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 05:46:00 PM »
buy them...they're a pain in the butt.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline TheBigRedArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 07:20:00 AM »
Dana, I made a set for this ONE knife. I used some injection but the epoxy doesn't flow real good through the needle. I am thinking of another way to make pins using suction but well see.

Ray, I totally agree. WHAT A MESS. but i got them done.

I will post pics later.

TBRA

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 10:30:00 PM »
if you insist on doing it get a vacuum pump like you use on brake systems...to draw the expoxy through to the other side..use aquarium tubing between your pump and the end of the pin tube, and another piece to draw the epoxy out of the container into the other end of the pin assembly.

Dan Masson taught me that- but....

It's still a mess. Buy some.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 10:32:00 PM »
I have made several. I use vacuum instead of injection. If you don't have a vacuum pump you can make short 2 inch pins by sucking the epoxy up in the pin with your mouth. Put one end of the pin in the epoxy and put a piece of fish tank tubing on the other end and apply suction. A small hand operated vacuum pump from an auto parts store really makes the job easier.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 08:39:00 AM »
I like making mine.  Pretty much like the others have already said.  Use hand held vacuum pump and aquarium tubing on each side of the mosaic pin. You don't want the epoxy getting into the pump.  Search for mity vac.
Fit little pins and tubes into a larger tube, the tighter the fit the better.  This is the hardest part.
Use 5 min epoxy (make sure it is cool before you mix)and tint it with paint tints, I like black or red.  Work fast.
Buying them is easier, but I rarely seem to do anything the easy way.
Here is one of the latest with mosaic pin that I made.
Dan

Offline TheBigRedArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 01:04:00 PM »
heres what I came up with. I used acrylic paint to color the epoxy. Tried to do a two color concept but it is hard to make it out. (red and black).

http://picasaweb.google.com/csscully/DropBox?authkey=Gv1sRgCNPYhfOF873n4wE#5369783155887292706

This is the knife I made, the knife does not show the mosaic pins in it but they are there now. The handle is Mesquite burl and African Black Wood.

http://picasaweb.google.com/csscully/Knives02?authkey=Gv1sRgCJvP6_GTt7ekeA#5369594759956840962

Thanks for looking

TBRA

Offline TheBigRedArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 01:10:00 PM »
Dan I like the shape of that blade.

TBRA

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 04:59:00 PM »
Thank you Sir.  Feels good in the hand and should peel the hide off quick!

Offline Shore08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2009, 11:08:00 AM »
Your pins look like they turned out pretty good.

Offline TheBigRedArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 02:38:00 PM »
Shore08, Thanks for the complement. they were a pain to make, but I made them and that is what I really like about making knives and such.

TBRA

Offline TheBigRedArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 10:20:00 PM »
Shore08, Thanks for the complement. they were a pain to make, but I made them and that is what I really like about making knives and such.

TBRA

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©