INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Question about a knife?  (Read 517 times)

Offline Delta708

• Trad Bowhunter
Question about a knife?
« on: September 08, 2009, 02:00:00 AM »
What is the easiest way to remove a knife handle material that has no pins or screws in it? It appears to be glued. The knife I am talking about is a Cold Steel Canadian Belt Knife. I like this blade but not the handle material nor do I like the sheath. I only paid $12.00 for the knife but I would like to put some type of stag handle and a leather sheath instead of a nylon one. I figured this would be my first knife project ever. Any thoughts or answers thanks in advance. Open to any suggestions also. Thanks.

Offline skullworks

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Question about a knife?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 07:01:00 AM »
Probably a Zytel or similar plastic. The only way I know of to remove it is to cut it off. I would guess that it will be a hidden tang that is molded inside the plastic. Maybe others have more knowledge.
'cuz deer huntin' ain't catch & release!

Offline TheBigRedArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 12:46:00 PM »
The handle material is polypropylene and is more than likely injection molded to the knife. That being said I would use a hot knife or a soldering iron with  replaceable cutting head, and cut straight down the spine of the handle. You might be able to figure out where the steel of the knife stops in the handle by using a small magnet. Just make sure you do the cutting of that polypropylene outside or with good ventilation. Good luck with the project and remember to post pics.

TBRA

Offline skullworks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 01:58:00 PM »
Maybe a dremel tool with a cutting wheel? Hacksaw would probably work. Make sure you tape up the blade to avoid getting cut!
'cuz deer huntin' ain't catch & release!

Offline Delta708

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 11:24:00 PM »
Thanks guys. I appreciate the info.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©