3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Osage seeds  (Read 190 times)

Offline Canadabowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
Osage seeds
« on: January 25, 2008, 06:24:00 PM »
I read an artical in the first issue of "Bowyers Journal" about growing your own Osage.So I thought to myself,"it gets pretty cold out on them praries in the winter and Osage grows there so why not up here." Appel trees grow in my yard so surly Osage will survive up here and I have the perfect property line to put in a hedge.So how about it,anybody got any Osage seed they would share?I am sure I could come up with something to trade. Bob
"non illegitimus carborundum est"

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Osage seeds
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 06:40:00 PM »
I found a few hedge apples this year I am planning to try. I read that you mush them up to make a "slurry", then pour it into a row and cover lightly with soil.
I am not sure about the seeds though....I would imagine they are very small?? Good luck.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Ontario Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 06:50:00 PM »
Great idea Robert,, Let us know if it works,,  I really would like to see a larger pic of your avator,, Can you send me one,,Thanks,,Frank
Black Coffee, Red Wine, Blue Waters, Green fields, Yellow sunsets,Whitetailed Deer,, All the Primary colors of Life ,,,.
I don't choose the deer, the deer chooses me.

Offline Dirty Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 07:38:00 PM »
The seeds are in the monkey balls.That's what we call them. They are normally planted by birds and other wildlife. Probably will grow by squishing them up,like ishiwanabe said.

Offline pintail_drake2004

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 07:49:00 PM »
each lil bump should contain a seed. Insead of picking them all out, mash them up and mix with enough warm water to make a slush. about the consitency of beat eggs. and use a hoe to dig a shallow trench and pour it in. cover and in about 25-30yrs youll have a nice hedge row.

Offline Islander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 11:06:00 PM »
You must live on the southwest coast of BC and have a southern exposure , ideally protected from wind. If in the S. interior of BC forget it... better to go with black locust or mulberry.

Offline sealevel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 12:10:00 AM »
way not just use yew . It grows all over southern bc.

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 10:49:00 PM »
I have a bunch drying in the garage and hope to be able to pull out some seeds.  Shoot me a PM with your addy and I'll if I can hook you up.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 01:50:00 PM »
You don't want to dry the apples, you want them to rot to a pulp. I put them in a shady spot outside the house over the winter. In the spring I can easily extract the seeds from the mushy pulp or plant the mush, both ways work just fine. I don't sprout them any more but when I did, I would put the seedlings in gallon pots, let them grow a year and cull the dogleg ones.

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008, 02:27:00 PM »
Actually Osage and Mulberry are close cousins. One apple would get you a ton of seed.. Hedge apple can often be found on eBa for not much, or anyone having them on their haunts could pick up a bunch. Strike out else where PM me I can probably dig a couple out of the snow.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©