3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Gold tip inserts falling out  (Read 334 times)

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Gold tip inserts falling out
« on: January 25, 2008, 07:14:00 PM »
I'm having trouble with my inserts pulling out of my gold tips.  I'm roughing the inside of the shaft with a dremel, cleaning that out with acetone and a que tip (sp) and then two part epoxying them.  What's the secret?
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline highnoonhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Gold tip inserts falling out
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 07:32:00 PM »
Hmmmm,

You're not overdoing it with the dremel are you?

I roll up a piece of 120 grit sandpaper, insert into the shaft and give it a couple twists, then insert a barely damp piece of paper towel into the shaft to get the dust out, and then use 2-part epoxy with great results.

Last year I used low temp hot-melt for my hunting arrows and didn't loose any.

But sometimes it seems the same thing don't work twice.

hnh
Member: Christian Bowhunters of America
Physically Challenged Bowhunters of America
International Internet Leathercrafters' Guild, Inc.
-
Holmes Mongoose reverse handle longbow. 63" 63@28
Longriver Longbow: 69" 69@28
Kolometz Kustom Longbow 66" 76@28

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 08:05:00 PM »
I don't know, usually you can't even melt that 2-part epoxy. HNH might be right about the dremel.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Dick4bows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 08:07:00 PM »
I use a tap.  The rings give it a lot of purchase.  Dick

Offline cajuntec

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 08:21:00 PM »
I use a tap also - very lightly, but it scores it well without removing too much material.  I use a slower setting epoxy.  I've found that the quicker epoxy sets up, generally (not always), the weaker the bond.  In other words, my "Two Ton Clear Weld Epoxy" that sets up in about 10 minutes is much stronger than my "5 minute epoxy".  Just a thought - check to see if your using the RIGHT epoxy.

All the best,
Glenn
If at first you don't succeed.... buy newer / better equipment!

Greywolf Custom Longbow  
Chek-Mate Custom Hunter 56 Recurve

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 08:35:00 PM »
I am using a 5 minute epoxy.  I'll try the tap and 10 minute trick.

Thanks TJ.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Blackhawk7204

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 09:02:00 PM »
I have used PC Super Poxie available at auto stores and have never had one come out, even when hitting rocks.

Offline beyondmyken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 07:23:00 AM »
Could also be the epoxy. I have used some 2 part epoxy in the syringes that never set up well.  I have had better success with the 2 part epoxy that comes in squeeze tubes.  Brass inserts stay in better when stump shooting than the shorter Al for me also.

Offline BigAl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 07:40:00 AM »
I use a brass rifle bore cleaning brush in 270 cal. then clean dust with isopropyl alcohol. I use slow-set epoxy because I install the broadhead and spin on my arrow spinner. That way you can rotate a bit until your broadhead is perfectly true then stand it perfectly vertical w/head up to set.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008, 11:11:00 AM »
I make dozens of them in the shop-BigAl has the bullseye.  We also use a tap and sandpaper.  The cleaning with alcohol, mixing epoxy well and standing the arrows up right does the trick-we leave ours overnight.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2008, 11:23:00 AM »
I used to use the epoxy, but I switched to superglue. I read in the Easton tuning guide where superglue actually bonds/becomes part of the carbon, so I tried it. Matter of fact I didnt get one seated all the way quick enough, and that dude aint ever coming back out. I just lightly score the inside of the shaft with sandpaper, lightly score the insert, wipe it off on my jeans, and glue it in. So far it has worked perfectly, and it only takes a minute. So I'll keep doing that.

I use the 100 grain brass inserts.

Offline wapiti

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2008, 11:25:00 AM »
Score the inside with a rifle bore brush. Clean with MEK, acetone or lacquer thinner or denatured alcohol. Use JB Weld. Then hope you never have to take one out because it never will.
“Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.”-Will Rogers

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2008, 12:21:00 PM »
I use the same hot melt glue they use to glue-in the aluminum shaft inserts.  I don't do a thing to the inside of the shafts before I glue them in.  I've never lost one, although I target shoot with them in my backyard almost every day.  When I want to remove one, I just hold it in boiling water for a while, with a target point installed, and it comes loose easily.  One thing is that I generally have supplemental weights screwed into the ends of the inserts, which makes for a longer insert to glue in, so maybe that makes it hold better.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Jason Jelinek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2008, 02:27:00 PM »
I've been told to use Loctite Black Max.  I've not done it myself but just might on the next bunch of arrows.

Offline sunshine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2008, 02:43:00 PM »
i use goat tuff glue or easton festset gel (just super glue in gel). gold tip used to recommend in their directions to use goat tuff. with fastset gel i can wipe off extra immediately screw in field point and shoot within seconds. dries so fast if you hesitate with insert half in it will stop right there. can also remove with heat added slowly. do not come out through summer or winter shooting.
Life is short.....eat dessert first!!!

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2008, 03:24:00 PM »
I'll second the Goat Tuff.  I don't believe there is a need to do anything to the inside of the shaft prior to installing inserts.  Just make sure the end is square from whatever cutoff method you used and glue them in place.
Otto

Offline trapper1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2008, 08:57:00 AM »
Wrong size insert, Golt tip has two different sizes, the proper one is a press fit, all I use is a little dab of super glue and do not have an issue. If your inserts are not press fit, get rid of them as you will forever have this problem not matter what glue you use.
Trapper
Just remember, if you're gonna be stupid ....you gotta be tough...

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2008, 05:41:00 PM »
I also had the same problem using epoxy.  Finally I started using the Gold Tip glue.  I haven't had one come out since.

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2008, 05:56:00 PM »
what if you want them out they tell you not to use hotmelt but it works just fine if everything is right the only reason for them to come out is your target is too tough to pull and thats no fun i had one like that on a cold day it took everything i had to get em out, i lost lots of inserts with all types of glue.

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2008, 06:02:00 PM »
Interesting about the size of the inserts..

I got some that are pulling out also, dont seem to fit real tight..

Never had a problem with the CX150's..

I have had good luck with those, using Loc Tite Gel Super glue, and with a little heat they do come out as well..

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©