INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Ole Seth Kinman's knife  (Read 881 times)

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Ole Seth Kinman's knife
« on: October 17, 2009, 09:17:00 AM »
On page 16 of "The Knife in Homespun America" is the story of Seth Kinman, Mountain man, Indian fighter, and wagon train guide. It also shows his knife that he called, "Grizzly Dissector" The knife inspired my blacksmith Carlton Matteo to produce a like version. He modified it to have a straight handle so it could also be used as a throwing knife. The blade is 10" with an overall length of 15". This first prototype has a curly maple handle. Here's a picture of the original and the copy.

Do you think Ole Seth would approve?

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ole Seth Kinman's knife
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 09:33:00 AM »
I like it! You always have the best knives.<><
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline Mr.Vic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 05:06:00 PM »
:eek:    :jumper:  OH YEA !!!
“I am glad I will not be young in a future without wilderness.”
― Aldo Leopold

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 06:18:00 PM »
Carlton stopped by the other day to deliver some hawks and he had the Seth Kinman knife with him. I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. I walked over to my throwing block and figuring by the length of the knife I stepped off 7 paces.

The first throw hit dead on as did the next 8 or 9 throws. The design of the blade has good weight forward and the business end found it's way into the block every time. The knifes weight, length and blade design makes it one of the best throwers I've ever had in my hand....and over the last 30 years I've had a passel of em..

I tried to talk Carlton out of it but he said he was gonna keep this one...somethin about the curly maple handle came from a piece of wood he bought back in 1972 for a rifle stock. I guess it had some kind of Mo Jo for him.

Anyway I gave him some moose horn for handle slabs to make a knife for me and also some leather for knife handle slabs. I'm looking forward to having my own Kinman style knife not just for throwing but also for those occasional chores that require a BIG blade.

You may be seeing this knife offered on my website before too long

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Steve Nuckels

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 09:09:00 PM »
Great lookin!

-------------
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 04:00:00 PM »
Here's #2 with moose horn slabs. I put a med brown leather dye on the horn.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©