INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: tomahawks  (Read 1397 times)

Offline RightTrailWrongTime

• Trad Bowhunter
tomahawks
« on: October 24, 2009, 12:06:00 PM »
Ok everyone, I'm looking for a tomahawk yes I know about shrew hawks and the like, but I am really looking for something in the 18th century style like you see in "Last of the Mohicans" even just the head and I can build the rest myself! Any ideas or does someone here make these? I have found some on the internet but they are for decoration only and I want something I can use! I carry a hawk on every hunt but I want something more period than I have. All and any help much appreciated.
Thanks
Todd
ONLY IN THE WOODS AND FIELDS DO I FEEL ALIVE, LIKE A HUNTER FROM TIMES PAST, ALTHOUGH THE HISS OF MY ARROW GOES FORTH, I AM TAKEN BACK, IT IS MY ESCAPE...

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: tomahawks
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 12:11:00 PM »
PM sent
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 12:33:00 PM »
Thanks, awesome stuff! Couldn't navigate all of the website but I got a taste.
I guess I'm looking for something like the spike headed one or similar- we all throw our hawks too- oh and I don't need to smoke out of it!
ONLY IN THE WOODS AND FIELDS DO I FEEL ALIVE, LIKE A HUNTER FROM TIMES PAST, ALTHOUGH THE HISS OF MY ARROW GOES FORTH, I AM TAKEN BACK, IT IS MY ESCAPE...

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 07:58:00 PM »
Would love any of the same info here.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline kbaknife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 07:13:00 AM »
Do your search on "pipe hawk".
Here is a maker's work you might appreciate:
 http://www.szilaski.com/tomahawks/
When the last deer disappears into the morning mist,
When the last elk vanishes from the hills,
When the last buffalo falls on the plains,
I will hunt mice for I am a hunter and I must have my freedom.
Chief Joseph

Offline Bob Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 07:35:00 PM »
A friend of mine is true artist and makes museum quality replicas. Check it out here

http://www.beaverbill.com/

Offline LAR43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 09:51:00 PM »
You think bows are pricey??   ;)  

Larry
Age brings us the priceless gift of experience and knowledge. . . Priceless, but not free.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 11:10:00 PM »
Wow the more I search the more I'm figuring that out! I didn't figure a tomahawk would cost as much as my bow! Gotta be something out there, heck even if I could just get the head itself I can probably make the rest to my specs. I just love carrying a hawk and a big antler handled knife while hunting with my bow.

Offline Kevin Evans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 11:43:00 PM »

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 04:10:00 PM »
I just love carrying a hawk and a big antler handled knife while hunting with my bow.  
Me too

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline TNstickn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 11:13:00 PM »
Ron that new knife is a beauty!! Sure hope you offer them!
Pick a spot.>>>>-------> Shoot straight.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 01:42:00 PM »
Ron! Please tell me how I could get my hands on either one of those hawks above and the top knife pictured!!!!!!!!! You're killin me!!

Offline Jesse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2009, 04:01:00 PM »
Ron who makes that spiked tomahawk it is perfect
"Empowering the Believer thru God's Word"

Offline NativeArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2009, 06:36:00 PM »
I see how cool the spike hawk looks but was wondering wouldnt a hammer poll on tha back be more usefull. ... thanks
"how many bows do you need".my wife
Every moving thing that is alive shall be food for you; I give all to you , as I gave the green plant. Genesis 9:3

Offline Jesse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2009, 07:30:00 PM »
Native Archer definitely more useful, but you can always hammer on the side of the head as well, just love the look.
"Empowering the Believer thru God's Word"

Offline Last of the Breed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2009, 09:59:00 PM »
I saw a few of those "spiked" ones at the kazoo living history get together
1 John 1:7  , and the blood
of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin

Offline TrkyTrx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2010, 10:48:00 PM »
Im not sure if this would help but i jus saw some throwing hawks on this site

http://www.nkartifacts.com/Thowing%20Hawks.html

Hope it helps
TJ

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2010, 12:15:00 AM »
RTWT,

I am not a sponsor on here yet so I can't post hawks for sale on Trad Gang.  Fighting hawks are are a specialty of mine.  I make and sell spike tomahawks to Army soldiers and Marines headed overseas.  I also make hammer poll hawks for camp use.  

I presently have 32 hawks in service in combat areas around the world and another dozen or so  headed overseas in the next couple of months.   I am prior military and a combat veteran.  I  have made military service personel my main customer base.  I am always willing to make an extra hawk for a buddy or another hunter as needed.  

I occasionally sell hawks on fleabay and have a bit of a following there so they tend to go for a fair bit of cash.  I promised Gerardo I would post a couple of pictures of my work on the Knifemakers forum.  I should have them posted tomorrow.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Renaissance Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2010, 10:00:00 AM »
Check out these, I love the gorgeous work but way out of my price range, there are some great makers out there involved in the NMLRA making true period pieces for the outdoorsman, hand forged and extremely functional
 http://www.fortturner.com/store/index.htm#rr

http://www.hbforge.com/products/tomahawks.php

Offline PrarrieDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2010, 12:20:00 PM »
Wyoming muzzle loaders convention is coming up in a couple of weeks. Will be in Casper. I'm sure some will be for sale. If it isn't too far to drive.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©