INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: single bevel knives  (Read 371 times)

Offline redneckrampage

• Trad Bowhunter
single bevel knives
« on: November 21, 2009, 07:43:00 PM »
i was watching some assembly required a while back and the host was in japan featuring the craftsman who make the razor sharp sushi knives and he mentioned that they use a single bevel on the blades and it got me thinking of trying it, has anyone ever tried this or do ya just stick to the standard double edge knives, thanks

steve

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: single bevel knives
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 07:59:00 PM »
I like a double bevel, but only because old habits die hard.
I had a folder that had single bevel.  I had a hard time with the "new" angle.  I eventually just started sharpening the way I like to and it didn't take long to feel like home.
I can see how it is easier to get a more acute angle with a single bevel.  More acute bevel means sharper, and also less durable.  But a single bevel does not have to be more acute.  
Some say a proper patch cutting knife (for muzzleloading) is best with no bevel against the barrel.  But I say anything sharp works fine.
The best way for you to find if you like it, is to buy one or make one and use it.
But now that you mention it, I may have to go back and revisit, maybe learn something new.
Dan

Offline LAR43

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: single bevel knives
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 08:03:00 PM »
There's some discussion on here about 15 threads up from the bottom "Knife Edge Question" is the title. Single bevels are mostly for slicing, not general cutting.
The toughest edge for an all purpose knife IMO is the convex or apple seed edge.

Larry
Age brings us the priceless gift of experience and knowledge. . . Priceless, but not free.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©