3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Schnee's Boots  (Read 367 times)

Offline crittergitter

• Trad Bowhunter
Schnee's Boots
« on: January 26, 2008, 08:25:00 AM »
Does anyone use these boots? I'm tired of the local sporting goods stores and their crappy selection of boots. It seems impossible to find a boot that is warm yet not so bulky that you feel like your wearing tractor tires on your feet. I've never been able to find a pair of Rocky boots that fit comfortably, I do have a pair of Irish Setter boots that are fairly warm and comfortable but again (JohnDeere Syndrome)they feel huge. Anyway these boots from Schnee's look like a fairly good compromise between warmth and bulk. But I'd like to get some opinions before I flop down 200.00 -300.00 for a pair of boots and extra liners.
Quote from my son "Your Deer hunting just keeps screwing up our duck hunting!"

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Schnee's Boots
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 08:53:00 AM »
Excellent boots, I had a pair for 6 years, wore the soles out twice and they replaced them. Do not know there policy anymore. The work I do now,I cannot justify spending that kind of money, I work with Blacktop and it destroys even the best boots. Buy them, I doubt you will be disapointed! Shawn
Shawn

Offline B.O.D.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 09:00:00 AM »
I just got a pair of the 13" insulated model, and after some field tests:

I LOVE 'EM!!

Fit like a nice leather boot, very supportive and the added benefit of a rubber pac-bottom that is rebuildable.

Spend the $$$, get a pair, you'll love them.
BD  :)

Offline La. bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 09:38:00 AM »
I have a pair of Schnees that I bought a few years back to wear on my trips tp Idaho and they are excellent boots and work very well at keeping your feet warm. It doesnt get cold enough down here in La. to wear them but maybe once or twice a year so I dont have a lot of miles on them but they seem to be holding up very good. I would spend the money to get another pair.

But on the other hand my friend who lives in Idaho that I go hunting with swears by White Boots they are almost identical to the Schnees about the same price and he wears his a lot more than I do mine and they hold up well so you might want to check them out also.
La. Bowhunter trad archery addict

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 09:54:00 AM »
White's are good, so are Schnee's and Kenetrek.

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 09:58:00 AM »
I have the un insulated ones so cant speak about the warmth, but comparing them to my LL bean boots the schnees leather is WAY thicker and the boots are really built well. I do need to get the bottoms replaced though. But that is from 5 years of pounding, not any fault of the boot. But like Shawn said it speaks alot of a boot to last long enough to replace the bottoms that many times.
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 11:13:00 AM »
Been wearing the insulated and uninsulated hunting and for everyday use for several years now, non better imo. If your going with the insulated liner type get and extra pr of liners so you can change em out.
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 11:18:00 AM »
I used my first pair for fifteen years and replaced the bottoms three times.  They are excellent boots and the majority of people working and playing outdoors here in Montana wear them.  The customer service was excellent (and still might be) before the company was sold two years ago.  I have heard they might be moving their production over seas, but haven't verified that.  
Kenetrek are also excellent boots and real similar to the Schnees.  The maker of them used to work for Schnees and their customer service is good.
Whites, in my opinion, are the equivalent of the Schnees and a little better for traversing steep mountains.
LaCrosse, I got a pair two years ago and gave them away.  I didn’t have the Maine guide boots, but a heavier insulated pair, and found them two bulky and uncomfortable to walk any distance while wearing them.

Taking all the pro’s and con’s into consideration I went with another set of Schnees this year, but then I got them for free.  You can’t go wrong with any to the first three boots.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline crittergitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 11:57:00 AM »
Well with verything considered it looks like Schnee's will be my next set of boots. I don't think I saw a negative comment at all. Not to mention the fact that they can be rebuilt. Now I just have to decide whether to go with the 13" or 16" version. Heck maybe I'll go with one of each one insulated and one uninsulated.
Quote from my son "Your Deer hunting just keeps screwing up our duck hunting!"

Offline John D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008, 12:41:00 PM »
Rick,

You won't be sorry.
Good Luck & Good Hunting!
John
COMPTON TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTERS
PBS Associate Member

Offline B.O.D.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2008, 01:05:00 PM »
The website says they still do offer a lifetime warranty and they do still rebuild the bottoms for alot less than the price of a new boot.

It also says that any overseas work is done under the strict scrutiny of Steve Schnee himself.
He went over, personally inspected the factories, Had the bootmakers trained and then follows up on the work they do.

I'm sure the quality is up to par.
BD

Offline Lechwe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2008, 01:07:00 PM »
Critter,

I have 2 pair and love them. Both are the tall boots. One pair are the Extremes for cold weather and the other pair is still insulated but for warmer weather. Most comfortable boots I have had on my feet. You won't be sorry.

Offline Dirty Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2008, 01:20:00 PM »
Best boots I ever had.I wore mine out hunting and doing sar. I'm ready to get them rebuilt,which will cost about 90.00   :campfire:

Offline lone hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2008, 02:03:00 PM »
I have 4 pair of schnee boots, the product and service are terrific.

Offline BFinegan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2008, 04:55:00 PM »
I've had several pair and they are quality all the way. Not happy to hear they were sold.
"Ships in Harbor are safe, but that is not what Ships were made for"

Offline PrarrieDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2008, 05:31:00 PM »
another option is Chipawa

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2008, 09:57:00 PM »
I have three pair,  uminsulated 16" and 13" and a 13" insulated.  Simply awesome footwear, you won't be sorry.  Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2008, 11:11:00 AM »
I have had a pair of Kenetrek for 3 years and love them,they are tough as nails and as comfortible as tennishoes,would not hesitate to buy another.     They are also rebuildable!

Covey

Offline Labs4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2008, 02:06:00 PM »
Critter:

First, I agree that Schnees makes a great boot. Years ago, I actually visited their retail store in Bozeman and had a chance to try on various styles of their boots. All appeared to be very well made. My mistake at the time was that I purchased an insulated packer, which proved to be too warm for even late season pheasant hunting here in Michigan. In retrospect, I probably would have been happier and got more use out of the non-insulated packer. A hunting buddy's Chessie proved that no boot lasts forever.

There's a boot company out of Victoria, B.C. called Viberg Boots that has been family owned by the same family since the 1930s. They specialize in hand-making logging (works of art!), hiking and hunting boots. Their boots are still hand-crafted in house and not "subcontracted" out over seas.

Over the years I have owned three pair of Vibergs. My first pair of Vibergs was a pair of their hikers that I purchased from their one and only “walk-in” retail store in Victoria on my way back from a backing trip in Glacier N.P. Just a super heavy duty hiking/backpacking boot - the likes of which are nearly impossible to come by these days.  The kind of old world hiking boot that you would envision “Helga” wearing while hiking in the Alps.  I still own these boots and wear them when I occasionally get the urge to toss on my (now much lighter) backpack and hike on Isle Royale National Park or in the Porkies. I also have owned two pairs of their hunting boots - one insulated, the other non-insulated. Back in the mid 90's, you could have Viberg custom make you a pair of hunting boots for the same money as a high end pair of Danner boots (another great boot co.) or a pair of Schnee's packers. I imagine that a pair of custom Vibergs and a pair of custom Schnees still cost about the same these days. You may want to check out this company too before you drop $300. Here's a link:

http://www.viberg.com/default.htm    

As someone who has been fortunate to do a considerable amount of backpacking and appreciates quality boots, I can say that with care and perhaps one re-soling job, most people should easily expect a decade of hard use out of a pair of Vibergs before any repair needs to be performed to the leather vamps or uppers.

Check 'em out.

When I had more back than brains...

"You must not only aim right, but draw the bow with all your might." - Henry David Thoreau (Before the advent of compound bows with 85% letoff)

Offline T Sunstone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2008, 10:50:00 PM »
I hunted elk in Montana a few years back and that's all my guild wore.  But when he took his boots off in the tent, I made him move them outside.  He said everybody said he had the worst stinking feet in the world and I would have to agree.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©