INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: A pilgrimage to Bladesmithings Mecca  (Read 338 times)

Offline Steve Nuckels

• Trad Bowhunter
A pilgrimage to Bladesmithings Mecca
« on: December 13, 2009, 08:56:00 PM »
I attended an open house tour of Mr. Bill Moran's shop near Braddock Heights, Maryland.  

I had the opportunity to meet Mr. Moran at his shop in 2004 and had not been back until this Sat.

Mastersmith Jay Hendrickson, a long time friend and apprentice of Mr. Moran was giving forging demonstrations and answering questions about Mr. Moran,the shop and knife making.

It was a humbling experience being in the shop smelling the coal burning and hearing the anvil ring, and knowing this is where the Master toiled through trial and error to unlock the long kept secret and mystery of Damascus.  You could feel Mr. Moran's presence in the shop and I was sure he was there in the shadows with a big smile on his face.

THE SHOP

Flagstone forge

Power hammer

Me and MS Jay Hendrickson

Jay on the 25lb powerhammer

Jay and Bladesmith Scott Floyd from West-by-God Va.

Steve
--------
ABS Apprentice
Potomac Forge
--------
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A pilgrimage to Bladesmithings Mecca
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 04:44:00 PM »
I'd sure like to see that place myself. I'm glad you got to enjoy it.  :coffee:   Lin
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline Renaissance Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 09:43:00 PM »
I've got to get down there too. I loved talking with Mr. Moran, a great down to earth fellow. he used to buy arrows from me and it was kick seeing him and Jay together at Denton Hill, they used to sit with me and shoot the breeze. I introduced Mr. Moran to my son and told him that this gentleman is one of the great Bladesmiths of our time. My son said show him the knife you forged Dad, i said no feeling rather silly producing it in front of Bill. But he asked to see it and complimented me on the work, which I had a lot of help with and checked the edge. Told my son that your Dad appreciates beautiful simple things, said it was a sign of good man.
Made a fellow feel right special if you know what I mean.

Offline Tom I.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 06:37:00 AM »
Great report, Steve....thanks for sharing..
Tom I.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©