INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: opinion on grinding  (Read 566 times)

Offline Scott Roush

• Trad Bowhunter
opinion on grinding
« on: January 04, 2010, 11:04:00 AM »
So I have some steel to work with now and I need to make some flat grinds.  These are my options... I have a hand held belt sander with 3X14 belt that I invert in a vise.  I have a drum sander attachment on my radial arm saw (I think 3" diameter head and 3" or 4" long... I forget exactly), angle grinder with various cutters, stones, etc a Dremel and a bastard mill file.   I can't afford anything else at this point. So.... what is my best option for getting flat grinds with these tools? Which would you all use?

On my belt sander.... has anybody tried taking their belts and cutting them to 1 or 2"?  

Also..... what grit would you recommend for doing the initial grind???  Are there any specialty belts made for 3X14 belts that would be better for grinding knives??

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Offline LAR43

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: opinion on grinding
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 11:24:00 AM »
If it were me, I'd rough it out with the grinder & finish it with the file. When you find you're  needing a smoother finish than the file will give you get some fine grit wet/dry (220-400) grit paper & wrap it around the file or, if you have, a nice piece of plexiglass or a hard piece of 1X2 & use that.
When you get into the paper part start going in one direction only.
I don't know what kind of handheld sander you have, but most aren't precision enough for bladework.

Larry
Age brings us the priceless gift of experience and knowledge. . . Priceless, but not free.

Offline Scott Roush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 11:35:00 AM »
So you would recommend that I put the hand held angle grinder in a vise and use that then?  And then get the biggest grinding stone I can get for it?

I've heard that it is hard to get a flat grind with the narrow stones that are typical on bench or hand held grinders....  Does this sound right?

I hate having do this stuff with inferior tools... but with the holidays... well, you know.

Offline DANA HOLMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 12:28:00 PM »
Mossanimal
you can go to harbor freight and buy a 1x30 belt sander for about 50-60 bucks, this is a bench-top sander, i started out with a 1 x30 and now have a 2x42 craftmans, I've use both of them everyday, or you can go to craiglist and find them there
good luck
dana
"When Satan is knocking at your door,
Simply say,

"Jesus, could you get that for me?"

Offline Scott Roush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 03:15:00 PM »
Thanks for that Dana...  The thing is that I'm trying to learn from past mistakes and I wanna buy the right tool when I have enough to afford it.  Every time I try to save money by buying something something a bit inferior, then the cost adds up over time. However, if those less expensive belt sanders are all I need.... well, then I'm all for it. It's just you get caught up in the whole equipment thing when you see all these $1500 belt sanders!

Anyway... Right now I have a handheld belt sander and I guess the best thing to do is use that for trying to achieve a flat grind.

Anybody else have opinions???

Offline kbaknife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 04:35:00 PM »
I spent 30 years in the custom home building industry where having the right equipment can often mean either getting a job done RIGHT, or not even getting the job at all.
Sometimes you've just got to bite the bullet and cough up the dough and get the right tool.
If it TRULY is the right tool, it will PAY FOR ITSELF.
Here's my opinion on that "$1500.00 belt sander":
If you TRULY, TRULY want to make knives, the REAL knife sander is the only way to go.
11 years ago, I went to the bank and borrowed 2Gs for my Bader BIII. I was working a full time job which covered all of my personal expenses. I let my knife proceeds pay for the BIII and had it paid off in the first year.
I'm still using the BIII on a daily basis, and it is the BACKBONE of Andersen Forge.
With the proper equipment, you will be LEAPS AND BOUNDS ahead of where you would be without it in very little time.
But, that's me.
When the last deer disappears into the morning mist,
When the last elk vanishes from the hills,
When the last buffalo falls on the plains,
I will hunt mice for I am a hunter and I must have my freedom.
Chief Joseph

Offline Scott Roush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 04:42:00 PM »
Yeah... I understand.  But I wanna get a feel for this knife making business before I jump in though. I mean this is a hobby right? Can't afford that right now... but I also don't want to go out and buy something mediocre either  and then buy something else better... again.  If I get serious I will definitely look into procuring funds for the best.

So.... what about the tools I have? Which is better? Can you do a flat grind with hand held belt sanders inverted... angle grinders, etc????

Offline KHALVERSON

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 04:52:00 PM »
i dont see why you couldnt use the sander you have. i would pick up dome 50 and 120 grit belts and try to get the grind you want on a piece of scrap steel first.
just my .02
kevin

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 05:22:00 PM »
I started with a hand belt sander and produced a few blades that skinned deer...therefore it produced working/functional knives.  I was proud as a strutting peacock.  Once I got hooked on making better knives then the tools had to be better.

If you are just interested in starting just go for it...but be WARNED you might be going to the bank for a loan like Karl did    :biglaugh:  Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Scott Roush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 05:30:00 PM »
Yeah... I guess I should just find some steel to play with and learn by doing.  Right now all the steel I have is good stuff and I don't wanna screw it up.

Halverson eh? Any relation to the Bayfield fishing family??? I work pretty closely with those folks up here...

Offline Scott Roush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 05:35:00 PM »
tippit...Oh I have no doubt I will be looking for something better and then goin' into the hole. My problem is that I'm already in the hole from furnishing my entire shop right now... not only for knives but my longbows, snowshoes, toboggans, Man... I also need a 14" Grizzly band saw!!!

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 10:52:00 PM »
Start out with what you got or can afford. IF you decide it's something you want to pursue beyond the hobbist stage you can always upgrade and still use the other equip for sure for sanding handles, slabs, beveling pins, etc etc. Just my opinion.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline prarieboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2010, 11:33:00 PM »
Hey mossanimal I'm with LC go for what you have and can afford and if ya decide later that it's gonna work Ya still got what ya got plus a good ol hard knocks education ta back it up.
 Just thinkin and that means I'm headed fer trouble!!!!
 C-Ya Bob
Look up!It's ALL above us.

Offline gables

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2010, 11:40:00 PM »
Use the belt sander. Start with 50 grit. You are going to have to grind the bevels the whole length of the blade. Next use the file, held in both hands and perpendicular to the blade. Draw the file back and forth to true up the angles and make eveything flat. Then go to sand paper.
"Art is thoughtful workmanship." W.R. Lethaby

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2010, 11:42:00 PM »
Try rough the shape with the grinder and then draw file the bevels to shape with the file.  Go to a 1 to 1/2 inch wide 12 inch long hard flat object and wrap finer and finer sandpaper grits round it to put a fine finish on the blade.  Blacksmiths made millions of blades without power tools.  You can too.  I would reccomend buying a good book on old school knife making.  Wayne Goddards $50 Knife Shop book would be a really sound investment for you.  I think that is the name.  Look under Wayne Goddard on Amazon and poke around on fleabay to find one used for a good price.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Scott Roush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2010, 06:44:00 AM »
Thanks... I'm reading his 'Wonders of Knife Making' right now... I'm still trying to get a copy of the one you mentioned. I've already learned a ton...

Offline KHALVERSON

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2010, 04:57:00 PM »
moss
no relatives in wisconsin that i know of
i have a copy of the 50$ knife shop that i would be happy to loan you for a month or so
if your interested
kevin

Offline Scott Roush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2010, 05:24:00 PM »
Well that might be a good thing... The Halverson's up here are might rough lot!  But most commercial fishermen are.

I might take you up on that offer. My library doesn't have it....  I will pm you.

Offline Scott Roush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2010, 06:39:00 PM »
Thanks for everybody's input on this!  I think I'm gonna play with some steel and try a couple of different things until I figure it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©