3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Minimum poundage Bow you have hunted Black Bear with  (Read 283 times)

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
Minimum poundage Bow you have hunted Black Bear with
« on: January 26, 2008, 12:18:00 PM »
I am having a taxidermy tan my deer hide, when he came back to talk with me, he asked me if I would like to bear hunt on his property, it has the most black bear population in Minnesota.  He has bear bait, and stands all set up.  It won't be until this September.

What would be the minimum poundage bow you have ever hunted black bear with ?

Pastor Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Minimum poundage Bow you have hunted Black Bear with
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 12:25:00 PM »
Bears aren't very tough. Take a 45# bow a 500 gr arrow and a good three blade head and you'll be fine.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 12:34:00 PM »
The really cool thing about a bait site; is that you can see if a bear has cubs or is a sow; that will perhaps bring in a bigger bear-as in a boar.
 The really great thing is; it allows us to take our time and make accurate shots.
 Biggies right; bears are not tough; take a bow you can shoot most accurately; and keep your shots under 15 yards.
 Most people nearly fall out of the stand; not when a bear walks in; but when they run 40 yards or less and flip over after being hit.
  Accuracy is the key in killing a bear with a bow.
   tick tock tick tock until the spring bear hunt!    :campfire:
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 04:50:00 PM »
I agree with Biggie. Put a heavy arrow, with a sharp 2 or 3 blade head where it counts and you will not have a problem killing black bears with a 45 pound bow. Personally, I shoot 50 to 55 pound bows and I would not hesitate to hunt black bear with anything I have. With that said I would check regs where your hunting to see if there are any legal restrictions.  :thumbsup:

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 10:13:00 PM »
I hunted with my 45# this year. I didn't take a bear, but had all the confidence in my bow.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 10:57:00 PM »
I think it's going to be fun !

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 11:11:00 PM »
BrokenArrow1- Hunting bears over bait can be real easy. 99.9 percent of the time it is not. Big bears learn to use their eyes and ears and nose - and they know what bait sites are about.
 Getting a big boar can be the toughest most intriguing hunt I can imagine. Its like chess; you make a move; they make a move; and your more likely to lose a brain game with a big bear than win.
 Its absolutely fantastic how the woods can be quiet and then all of a sudden... there is a bear.
  You never know what size or sex it will be; or what color. I have seen blonde bears with dark brown legs and heads; and blonde bears with black legs ( only one- a sow with cubs) brown ones black ones with white on their chests; black ones with a black muzzle or a brown ones; its just neat to be there with them!
 Of course in the spring ; the birds are singing; the deer and other animals have young with them; and you just never know what your going to see.
  I think you will enjoy the hunt very much; keep your broadheads scary sharp; and wait for a perfect shot.. but be warned- you CAN get addicted to it all  :)  

:campfire:    :archer:
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 11:14:00 PM »
Anything that will work on deer what do the trick for black bear.  Sharp broadheads and shoot placement are key.

<")))>< Michael
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 09:26:00 AM »
My wife killed a nice one with a 46# @ 26" DAS recurve. Complete pass thru with a four blade Phantom.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline trapper1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008, 03:54:00 PM »
49.1 lbs is minimum in Ontario Canada, check your regs, doesn't matter what you think will do the trick if it is less than legal.
Just a heads up.
Trapper
Just remember, if you're gonna be stupid ....you gotta be tough...

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 06:20:00 PM »
From what it has described, the bows that I have, will both do the trick.  The only thing that bothers me is his ladder stands are only seven to 10 ft., I think and like to belittle but higher.  I have lone Wolf Alpha tree stand and lone wolf climbing sticks.  So I think I'll use those.

And that's what the taxidermist said " it can be addicting" I have been nose to nose with a black bear, I do get a little nervous, when I see them now.  So I think this will help, in taking away a little bit of that fear.  By the way I walked away from that incident, without as much as a scratch.  Because I was coolheaded, until the bear got about 10 yd. away, and then I get real shaky.  It will always be a memorable moment, and I'm glad I'm here to tell the story.  He did snort in my face, and his " bear juice" got on my nose, but it really could've been worse.

He did say that because the stands are low, one year he had a bear, put his front paw on his ladder stands platform, that's why I want to go higher !

I'll make a nice bear rug out of one.

Pastor Carl

Online mnbwhtr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2008, 02:26:00 PM »
Minnesota lowered the limit to 30# last year. I wouldn't hunt with that but wouldn't hestitate using a 45#. A ten ft ladder stand 10-12 yards from the bait would be great for the angle. The only place a bears hide is very thick is in the neck and you don't want to hit there anyway.

Offline Gordy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 03:12:00 PM »
45 is good to go.  I once hunted bear with my 45, but now am shooting 60+ pound bows several years later.

Control of your shot is way more important than speed.  Keep it simple   ;)
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2008, 05:29:00 PM »
Thanks for  all the come backs, you guys are graet help

Carl

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©