INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Staining handles  (Read 505 times)

Offline gables

• Trad Bowhunter
Staining handles
« on: January 12, 2010, 12:15:00 AM »
I assume I would attach the unfinished handle to my knife before staining. For full tang knives with pins, how do I keep the spline and pins bright after staining?
"Art is thoughtful workmanship." W.R. Lethaby

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Staining handles
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 12:33:00 AM »
Well the answer depends on how you are planning on adhering the scales (handle) to the blade. I usually fully finish the front edge bolster of the handle before attaching. It's really hard to finish this area after completion. If your swaging or peening the pins and planning on this holding the scales you have to do this at the almost complete finishing stage. If your planning on glue only remember that the glue will seal the wood and it won't take stain around that area. But usually the scales are at a size that requires alot of finish sanding anyhow. So sand slow as to not overheat the glue and you get down to fresh wood to stain then.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 04:08:00 PM »
Gables, if you stain after glueing up the handles, you will still need to sand them down a final time before applying finish.  This will remove any stain from the tang and pins (as the metal can't soak up stain and there is just a thin layer of stain on the metal).  
Dan

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 08:36:00 PM »
a buffer and compound will remove any stain you have on the spine of the full tang and over the pins, gables. I would think after staining you would need to seal, then oooo steel wool, and some sort of sealer over that, and more oooo steel wool, then buff again.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©