3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Do I need a turkey bow?  (Read 186 times)

Offline finger lakes bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Do I need a turkey bow?
« on: January 26, 2008, 01:51:00 PM »
I have been hunting turkeys for awhile with shotguns and a compound.  I want to use my recurve but it is 62" long (hoyt gm 2).  The blind I would use does not have the height for my bow. Should I get a cheap  shorter bow? or save up for a nice shorter bow? I like the widow PSR or a shrew lil recurve but I am not sure if I would have the money saved up by season.  I could get a bear but I would rather wait and save for one that is quality. I only have about a 26" draw so a short bow may suit me but I shoot my hoyt very well.  Does any one with longer bows build homemade blinds with no roof or maybe camo themselves in very well and sneak a shot off?

Offline twisted

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Do I need a turkey bow?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 02:06:00 PM »
hey finger i dont know if u have one near u but i was just looking in canadain tire at a pop up blind that has no roof for 40 bucks i dont know how far u are fom the boarder though im only about 20 minutes away from it lol
hope this will help u out somehow later
When it come to a tim hortons coffee cup im highly deadly to them at 25 yards away

Offline MW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 02:07:00 PM »
I had the same problem so I like to build a blind or use a guillie.  Just my preference.

Of course any reason to get a new bow should be used as well.

Mitch
<---TGMM Family of the bow---<<<<

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 02:13:00 PM »
If money is a concern, I would get a taller blind. That Groundmax Escape Deluxe is a descent blind for the money. I like mine and my 62" Schafer has plenty of room for my 29" draw.
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 03:15:00 PM »
I shoot a 64" Hill out of my Matrix 360, I killed a deer with the combo this past fall. last spring was my first year hunting turkeys with trad, I used a 54" Bob Lee, with this bow i have more possible shots than with the longer one without as much moving around. But I'm still going to hunt this spring with my Hills one of them is 66" you just have to practice out of the blind so you know what you can and can't do.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Dirty Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 04:41:00 PM »
Of course you need a new bow,silly..   :rolleyes:   Check out the black mountain sheepeater.   :campfire:

Offline yleecoyote23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 08:31:00 PM »
I just traded for a lefty 52" Shrew Classic and I gotta admit I am very excited for spring turkey season to get here in TX.....this little sucker is smooth all the way to my 28+ draw and I honestly forget I am even shooting such a small bow!!
Me and my son went out stump shooting this afternoon and I took the Shrew and really liked the size and ability to move around and create shots that I would never have been able to achieve with one of my longer bows...

and besides Ron Laclair is a sponsor and a heck of a fun guy to see shoot a bow!!!

I have heard some GREAT things about the 54" RER Arroyo and the Sheepeater as well!!!

There are definitely some fantastic short bows out there that will be killin' their fair share of turkies this year!!   :thumbsup:    :archer:
In the beautiful Davis Mountains and lovin' every minute - Danny

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©