3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Leggin's and mocassins  (Read 1076 times)

Offline Billy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Leggin's and mocassins
« on: February 03, 2007, 02:14:00 PM »
Do any of you know where I can find a How To?
 I've been wanting to make a set of each.
I wanna know how 'they' were able to stay warm and dry using the materials they had.
Mountainmen and Natives alike were out in the cold and had no thinsulate, gore-tex, or .....
TGMM Family of the Bow

Taker of the Founders Red Pill

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Leggin's and mocassins
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 02:22:00 PM »
Check with Kenny (admountainken) or Bowmac. Check out a google search on the subjects...there are many sites that offer good info.

Shell (on hubby's login)
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline Buffler Razz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 03:44:00 PM »
What kind of mocs are you looking to make?
I made center seam style, here is a link that may help.
   Center seam  moccasins  
And another
  More Moccasins  

Here are some winter moc patterns
 Side Fold Winter Moccasins  
Here is one on leggins...  Leggins
There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone. Everyone knows what they mean. What's more important is time that is known as the little dash in between.
Buffler Razz

Offline bowmac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 04:41:00 PM »
Billy if you want quality leggings I would look up some info on braintanning. Its a lot of work but well worth the finished product. Will probably out live you. Braintan ends up with properties to breath as well as insulate. They are warmer in the cold and cooler in the hot weather. I have probably braintanned 40 or 50 hides in my lifetime and I have been wearing the same set of braintan leggings for the last 15+ years. I still use them quite a bit during deer season. Great for spot and stalk or still hunting. They won't collect burs, stickers etc. If interested shoot me a PM or email and I can go into more detail.
Wool the Natural Fiber

Offline Green Arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 09:07:00 PM »
check out the Crazy Crow catalog.  they have some great patterns.  i just made a plains style war shirt, and i think the pattern was about 7 bucks.  they have a website and have all kinds of patterns for leggins and mocs.
"Everything the power of the world does it does in a circle." -Black Elk

Offline Buffalo Two Fletch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 09:37:00 PM »
Billy,

Sideseam Leggings are quite easy to make. Trust me if I can make them anyone can. One of Mark Baker's Pioneering Videos has a excellent demonstration of making them. He also demonstrates making them in one of his "Pilgrims Journey" Books. A pair of leg ties wrapped around just bellow the knee will help keep them up. I have a pair of wool ones for Winter and a pair of deerskin ones for warmer weather. They can be worn with a breechclout or with britches. The length depends on what type of shirt you may wear and whether you will wear a breehclout or britches.
Centerseam Moccasins are not all that hard to make. I made a pair from Buffalo and like I said before if I can do it just about Anyone can. There is all kinds of info on the Internet about making Centerseam Mocs or even buying a pair already made.

Take care,
Brian

Offline Buffalo Two Fletch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 09:48:00 PM »
Billy,

In my expierence most "Primitive" clothing preforms quite well compared to "Modern clothing. In fact in some cases it works better. In my opnion the only exception will be moccassins vs. modern boots. No matter how well you treat your moccassins your feet will sooner or latter become wet. I like to carry two pair. One for one the trail and another to change into at camp while the other pair is drying. Moccassins also are tough on your calves if you walk a long distance and are they are slippery in wet conditions.

Brian

Offline bowmac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007, 10:49:00 PM »
Just like a pair of ski's. I carry extra wool booties for my Sno-pacs and carry an extra pair of centerseams for camp also. Like Brian said if you think you are going to use them hunting I would suggest that you wear them around home etc. for awhile as our feet and legs are not accustomed to walking this way.
Wool the Natural Fiber

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©