3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: NH Moose lottery  (Read 833 times)

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
NH Moose lottery
« on: January 26, 2008, 04:33:00 PM »
Got this email from the NH F&G this weekend. Thought some of you might be interested.

Linda Verville: (603) 271-2461
Jane Vachon: (603) 271-3211
January 25, 2008

TRY YOUR LUCK IN THE 2008 N.H. MOOSE LOTTERY

CONCORD, N.H. -- Lottery applications are now available for the adventure of a lifetime - hunting moose in New Hampshire. The New Hampshire Fish and Game Department's 2008 moose hunt lottery is open! The entry fee is $15 for New Hampshire residents and $25 for nonresidents (nonrefundable). New Hampshire's moose hunt is nine days long, starting the third Saturday in October. This year's hunt runs from October 18-26, 2008. The odds of being selected in last year's lottery were about 1 in 20 for new Hampshire residents and 1 in 55 for nonresidents, some of the best odds in the nation for moose hunting.

Visit the Fish and Game website at  http://www.HuntNH.com  to enter the moose hunt lottery online or print out an application to mail in. Applications can also be picked up from Fish and Game license agents statewide. Moose hunt lottery applications for 2008 must be postmarked or submitted online by midnight Eastern Time, May 30, 2008, or they may be delivered to N.H. Fish and Game headquarters in Concord prior to 4:00 p.m. that day. Winners will be selected through a computerized random drawing on June 20.

Last year (2007), more than 16,700 applicants entered the lottery for the chance to win one of 675 permits. Those who are lucky enough to take part in the hunt have an excellent chance of success. Last year almost three-fourths of New Hampshire permit holders got their moose. Permit holders can choose another hunter of any age to accompany them on the hunt, but only one moose may be taken per permit.

Each applicant can enter the moose hunt lottery once each year. A bonus point system improves the chances for unsuccessful applicants who apply each consecutive year. Hunters who get permits are not eligible to enter the lottery for the following three years. It is not necessary to have a current hunting license to enter the lottery, but hunters who are offered and accept a permit must buy a $150 resident or $500 nonresident moose hunt permit, as well as a New Hampshire hunting license.

Both state residents and nonresidents may enter the moose lottery. The number of permits available to nonresidents is capped, based on the prior year's sales of nonresident hunting licenses (about 15 to 17 percent of the total).

On the Fish and Game website, you can find more information on moose hunting at  http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Hunting/Hunt_species/hunt_moose.htm,  including a moose hunt Q&A, regional success rates and photos and stories from past New Hampshire moose hunts.

The state's current moose population is estimated at about 6,000 animals.

The New Hampshire Fish and Game Department works in partnership with the public to conserve, manage and protect the state's fish, wildlife and marine resources and their habitats; inform and educate the public about these resources; and provide the public with opportunities to use and appreciate them. Visit  http://www.HuntNH.com.

- ### -

--
Copyright 2007 New Hampshire Fish and Game Department, 11 Hazen Drive,
Concord, NH 03301.  Comments or questions concerning this list should
be directed to [email protected].

Change your profile or unsubscribe:
 http://www.mailermailer.com/x?u=41292370f-cb07ce41

To subscribe to other N.H. Fish and Game lists:
 http://www.mailermailer.com/x?oid=06969k

Email list management powered by  http://MailerMailer.com
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: NH Moose lottery
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 04:36:00 PM »
Hey Bill.......ssshhhhhh.....gotta try and better my odds this year.....  :bigsmyl:  

Bill's right though, these are pretty good odds as permit drawings go, good luck to all who apply.

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline leon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 06:36:00 PM »
Thanks Bill.Putting mine in right now.I saw more moose this year while hunting,even had one in the yard.Good luck,Leon
61# Acadian Woods Classic

58# Saxon American

Offline GregD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 07:43:00 PM »
Do you guys know if nonresidents need a guide?

Offline Seeking Trad Deer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 07:55:00 PM »
Just applied on line.  Thanks Bill.  I used to apply each year to Vt. NH and ME then just kinda only kept up applying to ME.  How is the hunting in NH for moose?  Wanna be my guide?
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline GregD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 08:23:00 PM »
Do you guys know if there is a map that shows whereabouts and size of state land by unit?  Thanks  Greg

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 09:04:00 PM »
Greg, no guide needed.  If you go the the NH F&G web site you will be able to find a map by unit, it starts with Unit A-1 and goes I think through M, the best units by far are A's, B and C's.

Mike if you get drawn and Bill can't help, I will if you want.  Heck, if he can help, I'll still do what I can to help you or anyone else from TradGang.  (Unless of course I get drawn....)

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline Jeff Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 10:08:00 PM »
I'm feeling lucky this year......
"He has also made me as a select arrow, He has hidden me in His quiver." - Isaiah 49:2

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 10:18:00 PM »
I have a friend in NH who keeps inviting me. Just wish I could get the time. Thanks for all of that great info.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008, 10:32:00 PM »
Thanks David   :bigsmyl:    :thumbsup:    :notworthy:
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline j-p

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 10:45:00 AM »
Minimum bow weight for moose is 60# in NH and 50# in Alaska, where the moose are bigger. What's up with that?

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 10:58:00 AM »
Yeah, that's always been a sticking point with me JP. The way it is written you can have a 25" draw and pull 60# and you are fine, I draw 29" with the same poundage.....who has a more efficient bow, all other things being equal?  The powers that be here, in my opinion were shortsighted when they passed that legislation, but then again most of that is driven from the wheelbow guys.......and  was passed when the moose lottery first started back in the late 80's.

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2008, 11:09:00 AM »
It's 65#'s in VT. We must have "really" big moose. I got drawn for a VT cow only tag in '04 in section D2. I saw 10 moose during the season. 3 of them were antlerless, naturally I was within bowrange of 1 of the bulls I saw but not the cows. I can start applying again this year. I hope it dosn't take another 11 years.
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2008, 11:11:00 AM »
darn bill....I was just resigning myself to a winter of yote hunting, now I gotta dream of moose!   (moose and caribou are my short list for dream hunts)...

I just might have to send an app in....

David...I don't know if I'll have a problem meeting that 60# minimum...I got a call from fedora's on thursday and he convinced me to up my lam thicknesses a lot....so I may end up with an 80# bow  :-)

I'll shoot you a mail when the stuff comes in...
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2008, 11:26:00 AM »
Yikes, I just hurt myself just thinking of drawing 80#!!!!!  :scared:  
I'll be waiting for the email, thanks Marc.

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2008, 01:11:00 PM »
Yeah, thanks for posting this, the odds weren't bad enough as it was! I wouldn't get all excited about getting drawn I have been putting in for many MANY years and the closest I ever got was being drawn as 32nd alternate one year and no 32 people in front of me did not drop out!

Offline DIAMONDBACK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2008, 04:30:00 PM »
I live in zone B,might be able too steer a lucky person in the right direction.

Offline Mike Orton

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2008, 05:43:00 PM »
Thanks for the heads up Bill....is that offer to guide the lucky lotto winner still valid?
TGMM Family of the Bow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2008, 09:12:00 PM »
Here is the link for the Vermont lottery.  Same price as NH to apply.  I'd love to hear one of my trad brothers or sisters gets picked.  

http://www.vtfishandwildlife.com/library/forms_and_applications/hunting_and_fishing_license/lottery/2008_Moose_Lottery%20Package.pdf
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2008, 01:11:00 PM »
ok...may be a silly question...but isn't the moose rut sometime in late august/september?  why would they put the season in mid october?
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©