3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: NH Moose lottery  (Read 836 times)

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: NH Moose lottery
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2008, 04:05:00 PM »
A couple of things....

Rick: My wife was alternate #18 this year. When she was notified she was told that last year the alternates got all the way into the 50's somewhere. What happens is that those that get a southern zone often decline the permit. However, when Laura got the permit I told her to take it even though it was in Zone L as I knew where there were a small group and we had both seen a mud wallow in there in the early summer. We had a hunter lost in Bear Brook State Park this year (he still has not been found). I talked to one of the Wardens involved in the search and he said he could not believe the moose sigh in the swamps in there...and it is a bow hunting only area. So....the southern zone is not bad if you know where to go.

Hickstick: The rut is usually late Sept. to early Oct. However, the moose we  hunted this year were still breeding after the season. The group of cows we were hunting had one two year old bull who had his way with all of them, as far as I know. I have no idea why they put the hunt where they do. It may have to do with avoiding conflict with Maine.

This year I can still apply as I shot our moose on Laura's permit. I am only going to put in for Zone L as I know there is a small bunch right where we left them. In addition, after I killed the cow I heard from a bunch of guys who saw lots of moose in the southern areas. They are as far south as Mass. so the herd is doing well all over the state.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2008, 04:29:00 PM »
Bill, I put in for ALL the zones. When I got drawn as 32nd alt. three years ago, they told me that typically they get up to the 20th alt.. I didn't want to wish anyone bad....... It would be nice if they drew earlier in the year though, tough to make plans.

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2008, 07:53:00 PM »
I've been putting in for this the last few years - just got the 'reminder' card from NH F&G in the mail today.
One of these years  :D
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2008, 08:24:00 PM »
Hey Jeremy, You know of any place in NH that there might be a moose or two??????  :bigsmyl:  

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2008, 11:43:00 PM »
Now wouldn't that be funny if an Alaskan guy drew and traveled to NH to hunt moose!

Offline eidsvolling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2008, 07:56:00 AM »
Originally posted by Steve H.:
Now wouldn't that be funny if an Alaskan guy drew and traveled to NH to hunt moose!
Are you that guy?  There was actually an Alaskan drawn last year;  I haven't heard anything about the hunt outcome.

That area where the hunter was lost was described to me by former SAR colleagues as some of the most difficult they've worked in NH, so best keep that in mind if you're planning on hunting there.

Maybe I'll start collecting my postcards, now that I have one with all of "1 point" noted on it.

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2008, 08:39:00 AM »
David, I think I've seen a few up there, but I'd have to, uh, bribe a friend to do some scouting for me  :D
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2008, 10:30:00 AM »
Wasn't me!  When I lived outside (lower 48 or any here else) I applied for Maine and had several points but letthem slip when I headed North.

If I draw and arrow a moose I know a few people on here will probably have freezers to benefit!

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2008, 04:52:00 PM »
ok...I just dropped everyones chances of winning (by applying for the first time myself)    :biglaugh:

kinda went counter intuitive and prioritied from south to north...hoping as bill mentioned I'd have better chances drawing a tag for somewhere others would decline (plus it'd be a shorter drive)    :D
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2008, 07:08:00 PM »
I did not read thru the regs, when is th edrawing dead line? Thanks! I have a friend who could guide me if I am drawn, right David! Shawn
Shawn

Offline eidsvolling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2008, 07:43:00 PM »
Deadline for 2008 is May 30.  You can find all the moose lottery info at    Moose Lottery FAQs .  At the bottom of that page you'll find a link to the other NH moose hunt info.

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2008, 08:00:00 PM »
I might be able to find time to "show" you and Jeremy around if need be Shawn......  :bigsmyl:  

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline eidsvolling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2008, 08:02:00 AM »
The lottery draw is about to get a whole lot tougher.  Fish and Game is proposing a reduction in permits from 675 to 515.  Details are in the    Wildlife Rules Notice for 2008 .  There are changes in deer seasons as well, but nothing real drastic.  (Winter severity measurement this spring might change deer seasons, though.)

EDIT: Wow, just read the fine print and saw that minimum bow weight for moose would drop to 40 pounds from 60 if approved.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2008, 09:30:00 AM »
Here's the latest update from the NH F&G.

News from the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department
March 12, 2008
Phone: (603) 271-3211
Email: [email protected]
For information and online licenses, visit  http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us

Mark Ellingwood: (603) 271-2461
Jane Vachon: (603) 271-3211
March 12, 2008

PUBLIC HEARINGS SET FOR PROPOSED WILDLIFE RULE CHANGES

CONCORD, N.H. -- Proposed rule changes affecting wildlife and wildlife management in New Hampshire for 2008 and 2009 will be discussed at three public hearings being held by the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department on the following dates and locations:

* Monday, March 31, 6:30 p.m. - N.H. Fish and Game Region 1 Office, North Country Resource Center, 629 B Main Street, Lancaster, N.H.

* Tuesday, April 1, 6:30 p.m. - Keene High School, 43 Arch Street, Keene, N.H.

* Thursday, April 3, 6:30 p.m. - N.H. Fish and Game Department Headquarters, 11 Hazen Drive, Concord, N.H.

"Hunters, trappers and other interested constituents are encouraged to attend the hearings and offer their input on the proposed rules. Public input is considered during the formulation of final department proposals," said Wildlife Programs Supervisor Mark Ellingwood.

The New Hampshire Fish and Game Department reviews the state's hunting seasons every two years to ensure that they are in line with wildlife management objectives, including those specified in the state's Big Game Management Plan. The big game plan guides deer, moose, bear and turkey management in New Hampshire through the year 2015. Some of the highlights of the rule proposals, by species, include:

DEER: On the heels of a near-record deer hunting season, Fish and Game has proposed modest increases in either-sex days in 6 wildlife management units (WMUs). 

Antler point restrictions that were implemented in WMU A during the 2007 season are proposed to continue in 2008/09 in a continued effort to achieve and retain an appropriate balance of mature antlered males in the local deer population. Fish and Game also proposes that the existing 1-week reductions in WMU A's archery and regular firearms deer seasons be retained, but that the muzzleloader season be returned to its pre-2007 length of 11 days.

The number of special antlerless-only deer permits issued in WMU M would increase from 5,500 to 6,000; and Fish and Game would for the first time issue an additional 500 antlerless-only permits in WMU L. Applicants would be required to state WMU preference on their application.

N.H. Fish and Game Deer Project Leader Kent Gustafson notes that the season proposals may need some last-minute adjustment, depending on how hard the rest of this winter is for deer. Deer populations in New Hampshire are heavily influenced by winter severity, which is measured from December through April. Winter severity often varies markedly in different parts of the state, and the length of winter weather plays a key role in overall herd impacts.

"Updated information is a critical consideration in determining the proper hunting season regulations to achieve deer population objectives. This initial proposal for deer seasons assumes average winter conditions," said Gustafson. "This winter appears more severe than average at this point, but we won't have the updated information we need to determine herd impacts until just before the public hearings on these rules. If necessary, we will discuss how we might have to adjust for severe winter impacts on the deer herd and how these data might affect the initial proposal."

MOOSE: Fish and Game proposes to reduce the number of moose permits issued from 675 in 2007, to 515 permits in 2008. This represents a net reduction of 160 permits, including 75 from the Connecticut Lakes Region and 80 from the North Region. These reductions reflect Fish and Game's desire to stop a measured decrease in the Connecticut Lakes Region moose population, as called for by the Big Game Management plan. The North Region population has dipped below the established goal for the region, so the number of permits is being reduced to reverse the decline and bring the moose population back to goal.

BEARS: Proposals for the North and White Mountains region black bear seasons provide for more days in the still-hunting season. In an effort to move the Central Region closer to its bear population goal, Fish and Game proposes to shorten the baiting season by one week. Bear populations in extreme southern New Hampshire are below management goals, so shorter seasons have been proposed in the Southwest-2 and Southeast regions in an effort to facilitate modest bear population growth.

SMALL GAME: The proposal would establish a statewide hare season from October 1 to March 31 (currently the season ends on March 15 or March 31, depending on WMU). Cottontail and snowshoe hare seasons have been simplified and modified to better reflect the current distribution and abundance of these species. Under the proposal, the gray squirrel season would open statewide (including 3 WMUs in northern New Hampshire that had previously been closed).

FURBEARER SEASONS: Trapping proposals are intended to simplify existing seasons and to accommodate management on a regional basis. Land mammal (red and gray fox, weasel, skunk, opossum and raccoon) seasons would run from November 1 to January 15 in the Central, Southwest and Southeast regions; and from October 15 to December 31 in the White Mountains and Northern regions. Aquatic mammal (beaver, muskrat, otter and mink) seasons would run statewide from November 1 through April 10. The fisher season bag limit would be reduced in all regions, except the North Region, to a total of 5 animals. This restriction reflects declines in regional fisher populations, based on catch rates over the past several years.

WILD TURKEY: Fish and Game proposes that the spring gobbler season in WMU A be increased from 2 to 4 weeks, which would give New Hampshire a statewide spring turkey season from May 3-31. The minimum draw weight for bows used for taking turkey would be reduced from 40 to 30 pounds.

The complete rulemaking notice forms, with original and proposed rule language, can be viewed on the Fish and Game website at  http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Legislative/Notices_summary.htm
(click on "2008/2009 Wildlife Rules" or "Wild Turkey Rules").

Written comments must be received by April 14, 2008. Send to: [email protected]. (use subject line "Comments on Wildlife Rules"); or write to Executive Director, N.H. Fish and Game Department, 11 Hazen Drive, Concord, NH 03301; or fax to (603) 271-1438.

The New Hampshire Fish and Game Department is the guardian of the state's fish, wildlife and marine resources and their habitats. Visit  http://www.HuntNH.com.

-###-

--
Copyright 2007 New Hampshire Fish and Game Department, 11 Hazen Drive,
Concord, NH 03301.  Comments or questions concerning this list should
be directed to [email protected].

Change your profile or unsubscribe:
 http://www.mailermailer.com/x?u=41292370f-cb07ce41

To subscribe to other N.H. Fish and Game lists:
 http://www.mailermailer.com/x?oid=06969k

Email list management powered by  http://MailerMailer.com

Offline Jeff Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2008, 12:22:00 PM »
I applied on-line last night.  I agree with the reduction in required bow weight.  I hope the Ferret notices this change because I think that requirement was holding him back from applying, and he has killed some big animals with bows drawing less than 60#..........
"He has also made me as a select arrow, He has hidden me in His quiver." - Isaiah 49:2

Online Adirondack Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2008, 02:29:00 PM »
how to they determine the weight of the bow? What if the bow  was labled 60#@30" and you only drew it to 28"(54#).

Offline eidsvolling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2008, 02:49:00 PM »
The (proposed) rule reads:
"No bow shall be used for hunting moose unless it will pull at least 40 pounds peak weight measured at 28 inches or less draw."  The current version reads the same except that 60 is used instead of 40.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2008, 04:55:00 PM »
When I shot my moose this year they didn't even bother to ask to see the bow, arrow or any equipment. I showed it to them anyway and they were surprised it wasn't a compound.

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2008, 08:46:00 PM »
see!  as soon as I get involved in anything it goes downhill!   :bigsmyl:

well...at least I put in for the southern zones first    :D
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2008, 07:37:00 AM »
I'm glad to see they're considering dropping the poundage requirement.  That 60# @28 translated into 65# at my draw... a bit more than I like!  (Though to be honest with you all, I had my Sharpie at the ready).

Too bad about the reduction in permits, but my chances at getting drawn aren't the most important factor here  :D   Glad to see they're looking at real management and not just $$.

What's the reasoning behind increasing the number of deer either sex days??  It seems with the deer population being what it is up there that's not the best of ideas.  I've never seen such prime deer habitat with almost no deer sign, though I guess Dave didn't take me to all his honey holes!   :biglaugh:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©