INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: forged copper highlights?  (Read 874 times)

Offline Scott Roush

• Trad Bowhunter
forged copper highlights?
« on: February 04, 2010, 01:55:00 PM »
I was searching around for Brute de Forge knives and this came up as an exceptional example (along with one of Karl's).  It looks to be a David Winkler knife and it has forged copper highlights in the blade.  Does anybody know anything about doing this?  I guess it would be a type of forge welding... but do you need flux? Anybody know anything about this process?

Offline imskippy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: forged copper highlights?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 02:48:00 PM »
Just my .02 but looks purely cosmetic to me. Probably "forged" onto the spine after heat treating etc... Thats just what I get from the pic. I have never seen that until a recentl issue of blade.
Zona Custom T/D #1
Zona Custom R/D L/B #1

Offline Scott Roush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 02:59:00 PM »
it is indeed cosmetic.

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 03:00:00 PM »
That is not forged into the blade steel. At most it either is a copper wash, done while etching or it was electro plated. I am not saying this for sure, but Daniel uses a lot of techniques that are pretty neat. Daniel Winkler, one of the best at early American reproductions. Lin
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline Scott Roush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 03:54:00 PM »
maybe I will just ask him!  His terminology on his website was 'forged copper highlights' but who knows?  I looked this up and found that a lot of artistic blacksmiths also put 'copper hightlights' into their work and it looks real similar to that blade. But I found nothing about methods.  Since that is a damascus blade, is there any chance he threw in some copper wires when forming the billet??? I imagine the heat of the forge welding would just burn the copper up though???

Offline mater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 04:14:00 PM »
Brass will stick, like brazing. Maybee with the right flux copper can also be melted on. I have a tig, Ill try.  Mark

Offline Scott Roush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 04:44:00 PM »
cool... let us know what happens!

Daniel Winkler! I apologize for that!

Offline Scott Roush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 04:47:00 PM »

Offline Scott Roush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 07:53:00 PM »
Well I just asked him. What the hell. He welds it to the finished damascus billet using a torch (or arc welder) and then forges to shape. Apparently it's pretty tricky getting the right amount of copper.

I think I just figured out what to do with Jeremy's copper pipe!  Jeremy... Does ATTEMPTING to use that pipe count even if there is no sign of it on my knife??? :-)

Offline Steve Nuckels

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 09:56:00 PM »
Scott, I was wondering about that too!  I was forging today and heated and flattened some copper pipe today to use for future spacer material!

Steve
--------
Potomac Forge
--------
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Scott Roush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 10:13:00 PM »
I'm really starting to dig copper Steve. I just put a copper lanyard tube in my handle and I took some 10 gauge copper wire and flattened it with a hammer and I'm inlaying it right now.  It's gonna be kinda primitive and tribal... but it's a start.  I need to make a few more chisels.  Did you decide to go to the Smokey Mountain Hammer-in???

Offline Maxximusgrind

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 10:28:00 PM »
I have seen a "plating" that works kind of cool.But I dont know how well it would do in the reheating for heat treat.but Ive seen it used for ornimental leaves on a forged drapery rod.You just heat the steel and take a brass brush and scrub it.the brass starts to stick.it puts on just a "soft"accent.
 Totally different ,I know-but I felt they were kind of related.
     Robert
Measure twice,cut once,then beat it to fit

Offline Steve Nuckels

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 11:09:00 PM »
Scott, My wonderful wife is encouraging me to go! So I may! I will let you know soon!

Steve
--------
Potomac Forge
--------
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Scott Roush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2010, 06:28:00 AM »
Thanks Robert....  That sounds like something to play with...

Sounds like a good wife Steve! Bring her along and she can hang out with mine while we beat on things.

Offline Maxximusgrind

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2010, 02:28:00 PM »
When the temperature is right it just sticks.We did it originally by accident because they were trying to clean up the rod before waxing it and thought brass would work the same as steel.I always wanted to see if it would take reheating and rebrushing to see if it would build up or start to brush off.

Offline Maxximusgrind

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2010, 02:41:00 PM »
Hey Moss,
If you ever want to put together a "camo Knife",Copper works great for pins.I did one kind of on a dare??Camo dymondwood scales,let the copper pins oxidize before finishing the handles and browned the blade.Copper is way overlooked in knifemaking.
 Robert

Offline Scott Roush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2010, 05:24:00 PM »
I agree... Did you see the knife I just posted? I put in copper wire inlays, copper lanyard tube, and copper rivets for the sheath.  I really like the stuff...

I want to get better at the inlays... but I need to find some actual copper ribbon.

Offline Maxximusgrind

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2010, 06:11:00 PM »
If you have access to a shear,you can get copper sheet alot of thicknesses and cut it down.you could cut the stuff with tin snips or hand shears,but may need to straighten it out a bit depending what kind of edge it leaves.
 If I was still working,I would cut you some.
 If only,If only......
Robert

Offline Maxximusgrind

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2010, 06:22:00 PM »
Oh yeah,
I did see your knife,just didnt connect that it was yours.(nice work,by the way)
 I have never got up the nerve,but was playing with the wire inlay idea for a trade gun.But after seeing the thife you posted,I had a great idea-that would look cool on a knife handle too(LOL)Honestly I hadnt thought of that-but thinking about it,I'm sure Ive seen it.Well anyway,Thanks for the idea.
   Robert

Offline Scott Roush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2010, 08:43:00 PM »
there are some beautiful wire inlays on muzzleloaders out there....  And there are some great tutorials online on how to do it.  Jewelers sell the german and regular silver ribbon wire... but I can't find the copper stuff.  To look good, the wire really needs to be perfect. And mine was not.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©