3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dacron or Fast Flight?  (Read 263 times)

Offline McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Dacron or Fast Flight?
« on: January 26, 2008, 06:04:00 PM »
I've been buying ready made strings for the past few years, but I recently had a desire to make a bowstring again.  Neatly packed away in my bowstring material box are 4-5 partially used rolls of bowstring, all unlabeled.  I'm sure it was obvious to me when I packed them away which ones were dacron and which ones were fast flight, but not now.  Is there any way to tell dacron from fast flight string?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Three Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dacron or Fast Flight?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 06:58:00 PM »
dacron came in spools with black inside.  Fast flight had red inside.  Look at the center of the spool.

Offline McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 07:14:00 PM »
Thanks!  Never noticed that.  You saved me some spools of bowstring.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Blackhawk7204

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 09:36:00 PM »
Fast flight strands are also much harder to cut with scissors. Dacron will cut easily.

Offline Tree man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 11:53:00 AM »
Fastflight is lighter(less dense per volume) than water. Dacron is heavier. Thus a float test can tell you something with rope...but the wax on string strands may make it tough to tell. Dacron melts at a higher temp, burns while in a flame and forms a black glob that can be stretched into a fine filament while still soft(it hardens when cool). Fastflight shrinks curls and burns but cannot be stretched into a fine filament.
 Dacron smells oily and sweet when burning. Fastflight smells like parrafin wax. The FF melted glob is a waxy soft residue-Dacron's glob will be solid.

Offline McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 12:41:00 PM »
Thanks Justin, this will give me another way to verify which is which.  I had a hazy memory of which string was on which spool based on the colors, but wasn't sure, and Three Arrows method confirmed what I had been thinking, as there was a red insert in the spools that I thought were probably fast flight, and not in the others.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©