INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Gonna try to make some knives ?  (Read 294 times)

Offline B.Finder

• Trad Bowhunter
Gonna try to make some knives ?
« on: February 14, 2010, 02:08:00 PM »
My son and myself are going to try and make some knives.
We went to a local guys shop yesterday and he gave us some material(a band saw blade, and some pieces of big sawmill blade that he had sheared into strips). He also gave us some tips.

I asked him if it was necessary to do any kind of heat treating or tempering to this steel.

He said that it was not, he said he does not let the steel get to hot while grinding, he also dips the blade in water to keep the steel from getting to hot. He had some nice looking knives and he said that they hold a edge well.

I was wondering if any of you has any extra advice, or if you think we will run into any problembs making a knife this way?

Thanks, Bryan

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Gonna try to make some knives ?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 02:13:00 PM »
Yes,
     If you are going to try it that way, do all of your grinding bare handed to feel the heat. Remember, by the time you feel the heat, it may be too hot, and lost it's temper. If the steel turns colors, it's too late.
      I dont like doing it this way. It's to risky, but I know you may have to. Just take your time and dip in the water often. Especially watch it close as the blade gets thin. I cant say it enough. Lin
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline B.Finder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 02:25:00 PM »
Thanks Mr. Rhea
I think we will try it first like this, in the mean time we will be doing some research on heat treating. Any suggested reading material or DVD's for learing what we need to know?

Offline Maxximusgrind

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 10:47:00 PM »
My verry first knife was like that-I didnt know what I was doing but determination got me there.Drilling and cutting that stuff,without annealing it,Is a real pain.I ruined half a dozen hack saw blades and four or five drill bits.If I was to do it again,I would anneal the tang area.
But it was a good knife for a kid who couldnt afford to buy a good one.
Measure twice,cut once,then beat it to fit

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 05:05:00 AM »
Wayne Goddard's $50 Knife Shop and Blacksmithing Basics for the Homestead by DeLaRonda both cover what you need to know for getting started. Let me know if I can help. Lin
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©