INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Question  (Read 534 times)

Offline Tyler2045

• Trad Bowhunter
Question
« on: February 18, 2010, 07:41:00 PM »
hey guys,

I have about 25 to 35 pounds of used tiller tines, I am wondering do you think they will make good knifes. I am just now trying to get my forge set up. They are about 1/8 inch thick on the back side, when I take the bend out they are about a foot long, and have a large curve in them. Also have two holes near the "handle" where they bolted to the tiller.                Any help would be great. I am willing to send some out to the amazing knife smiths here if you want to see what you can do with one.                              Tyler
Bear Kodiak Magnum 44# Amo 52"

42@28 Take-down. Black Creek Bows, Banshee. 60' AMO

Nay, in all things we are more than conquerors though Him that loved us. Romans 8:37

Offline Tyler2045

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 07:44:00 PM »
Also if you want to try one of these just send me a pm. and we will talk about it.

Nay, in all things we are more than conquerors though Him that loved us. Romans 8:37

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 08:08:00 PM »
how old are they
have i not commanded you? be strong and of good courage;be not afraid or discouraged:for the Lord your God is with you where ever you go. joshua 1:9

Offline Tyler2045

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 08:13:00 PM »
I am guessing anywhere for last year to 10 years old.

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 08:30:00 PM »
if they will harden they will make a "blade".  without knowing what type of steel it is its hard to say how good of a blade it will make.  but i bet they will be great to practice on.   does this help any?
have i not commanded you? be strong and of good courage;be not afraid or discouraged:for the Lord your God is with you where ever you go. joshua 1:9

Offline Tyler2045

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 08:43:00 PM »
It does I think they will be good practice to but I was just wondering how good a knife it would make. 70 er is stamped into te blade if that helps any.

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 08:49:00 PM »
i have never worked with tiller tines so i cannot say for sure.  im suprised no one else has chimed in im sure someone has used them before

Offline LAR43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 10:33:00 PM »
Tyler,
Just to answer your own question try this.
Heat one up to non magnetic & quench it in water.
Put it in your vise & with a pair of gloves & safety goggles on whack it with a hammer. If it breaks or shatters like a piece of glass there's enough carbon in it to make a fair knife.
It's not scientific by any means, but it will definitely give you an idea of what the steel is like.

Larry
Age brings us the priceless gift of experience and knowledge. . . Priceless, but not free.

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 10:38:00 PM »
lar is right

Offline Tyler2045

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 10:42:00 PM »
Yeah couple of problems I dont have a vice so i would have to hold it, second the little thing i call my forge right now will only heat about 2 inchs of it at a time, but i will try it tomorrow

Offline Tyler2045

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 10:45:00 PM »
I get a 2 real forge tables, and blowers, 4 different size anvils, a post vise and a lot of tools when my grandpa passes he got me interested in blacksmithing then i moved to Mississippi and he is now 4 hours away.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 11:22:00 AM »
The tines should make good knifes.  Go to the library and look in a copy of the Machinists Handbook.  It identifies what most combine, farm equipment tines are made of.  Also do some research and try the spark test.  It will tell you pretty closely what carbon content is in the steel.  I will check my book out this weekend and post what it says about steel type.

If you want, you can send me a tine and I will run the spark test and see what I can do with the steel.

Send me a pm if you interested in sending the steel and I will send you my address.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Tyler2045

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 08:58:00 PM »
I could not break it or bend it. I did put it to a grinder and I got really fuzzy sparks. I have used this grinder a lot on lawn mower blades and some weldable steel and this is the fuzzyies spark I have seen.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©