INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Buck or Case Fixed Blades.....What's Your Pick??  (Read 823 times)

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
Buck or Case Fixed Blades.....What's Your Pick??
« on: March 01, 2010, 03:10:00 AM »
Hey all,

Been thinking about picking up a hunting knife and have been looking at the Buck and Case leather handled models.  These are the NEW Case and Buck knives, not old or vintage.

Some of the Bucks I have been considering are the 105 and the 102.  The Case knives are virtually the same as the Buck in size and shape except for the small Case which is a bit shorter than the small Buck.  I also like the 5 inch full size Case too.  The Buck 119 is a nice knife but it might be too big for what I am going to use it for.

I have read lots of good reports about the Buck knives and have seen virtually nothing written about the Case knives.  So I thought I would come and get some opinions on them here.

I would like to know what brand you would prefer and why.  Does one have better steel than the other?  What about edge holding and ease of re-sharpening?

What's your experience and thoughts on these brands, especially the Case?

Thank you for the time and help.

I appreciate it.

Nalajr

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Buck or Case Fixed Blades.....What's Your Pick??
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 05:33:00 AM »
Larry the case Knifes are hard to beat, but so are the Bucks  :)

I have both and have used both, but leave them at home for a smaller fixed blade or a folder .

The case I have is a little softer metal than the buck which makes it easier to sharpen.

Jack
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 06:47:00 AM »
Its a tie as far as I'm concerned.  I have and use both.  They both hold a razor sharp edge. I have the Buck 102, and the Case SS Fin double with a 5" fixed and a 3" fixed blade in one sheath. Would never trade either one.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 06:59:00 AM »
Both good knives, but my Buck knives hold a scary edge longer than any knife I have ever owned. Touch the blade up, don't let it get dull, and it will amaze you.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 07:09:00 AM »
I consider the Buck 105 to be an American classic. I have given many of them as gifts over the years and most of the recipients would not trade or sell them. In addition it is reasonably priced and thier steeel is excellent. They come very sharp,and the secret to keeping it that way is to keep the factory bevel and dont wait until it is duller than a butter knife to sharpen it. I really like the handle and sheath. Nothing aginst the Case, I just love the Buck 105.

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 09:21:00 AM »
The Bucks are made with 420HC steel, which in my mind is marginal at best assuming excellent heat treatment.  Some of the Case knives are made with better steel, but I'll be darned if I can find which ones are which with a quick google search.

If you go to the agrussell knife site (and some others) you can find similar knives to the ones you're looking at, made with better steel and only a few dollars more.  The Boker Air Force Pilot knife has a 4.5" blade and is a modified clip point just like the Buck and Case knives, but it's made from SK5 steel.  It should take a keener edge and be easier to sharpen.  It's the same price as the Buck
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©