INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Custom knives for me and my son. Help needed  (Read 794 times)

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
Custom knives for me and my son. Help needed
« on: March 03, 2010, 10:56:00 AM »
I have been looking for an excuse to drop money into a custom knife.  
Here's my excuse, TJ came into our family Jan 17

Here's my idea.  I have always appreciated older things that are handed down, the mojo and stories that go with such things is hard to beat.  So while at work i thought up the idea of having a pair of matching custom knives made for myself and TJ.  I was thinking about having them made for his first hunting season years from now.  But then I thought this sounded better.  I will have two knives made this upcoming summer with our initials and date the knives were made on the blade.  I will then put TJ's away and let him see me using mine through the years to finish the end of many special occasions.  Then on the occasion of his first big game kill, present the knife to him at the kill sight and explain to him how these knives were made the year he was born.  Hope fully by waiting on his first big game kill he will be of age to really appreciate the moment.  Then  when I pass, hopefully he will take my knife and pass it on to his sons or daughters.  
I would like some input on knife makers I know there are a few on this sight.  Please share pics of your knives to help me get some ideas. I'm thinking of using American woods like Hickory or Walnut with Maple and some file work on the blades.  Also I'm thinking of spending $600 on the pair is this enough or do I need to dig a little deeper. Any and all info appreciated. Thanks Joe
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Custom knives for me and my son. Help needed
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 10:58:00 AM »
Mods if this is in the wrong forum I apologize and feel free to move it.  Joe
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 11:41:00 AM »
Joe, that is an awesome plan you got there!! I'm the same way, I love the things that we can pass down to the young ones!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 11:41:00 AM »

I'd look up Anderen Forge, Karl is a sponsor here. He has some mighty fine knives check them out. You'll need to talk to him on prices, he has some that fit your budget and if you up it some you'd have more choices. I have two of Karl's now (one pictured above) and they are tough, high quality pieces of art that will get handed down just like your planning.
hunt it

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 11:51:00 AM »
some great talent around here, good luck on a really fine idea.
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Online mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 11:56:00 AM »
Great Idea! Lots of customs makers out there some even visit here!  Talks to several, look at their work, you find someone yea like and trust and you'll have a great knife to use and a great knife to pass on and hey your son can pass on granddads knife to his son....

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 12:32:00 PM »
Good luck hiding it from him all those years.My sons are like bloodhounds, they find everything I hide , even things that I forgot where I hid them.Congradulations on your boy.

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 12:35:00 PM »
Congrats on a beautiful, healthy baby boy!!!  I think it's a great idea you have!!  I know of 2 sponsors here that make great knives that are not only very efficient tools but are also works of art.  Resurrected Blades and Skullworks.  Best of luck you!
Chasing my kids and my degree for now but come next fall the critters better look out.  ;)

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 12:57:00 PM »
Beautiful family!    :thumbsup:  

That's a great idea you have there.  Be sure to check out what Doug Campbell has to offer.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 01:02:00 PM »

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 01:04:00 PM »
Izzy I thought about that, so its going to have to go into a safety deposit box or something.  Joe

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 01:19:00 PM »
Yes, I have one of Doug's knives and another coming. Great stuff as well.
hunt it

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 01:26:00 PM »
"Emmons" (Dave, he is a neighbor to you), who occasionally has stuff in the sponsor's classifieds makes some really nice stuff too....
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 01:30:00 PM »
Yes he does. Not sure where he is at, I did not know he was a sponsor here. CJ - Killingstuff has one of his knives - seen it at the Sweat nice knife. What does he go by as far as sponsor name, can't find anything under sponsors.
hunt it

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2010, 01:39:00 PM »
hunt it, there are lots of Associate Sponsors (me included) that don't get a link in the sponsor pull down.  If we don't have an add in the classifieds, no one knows we're here  ;)

Beautiful family and and excellent idea!  My daughter was born Jan 7  :)
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Dan White

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2010, 01:46:00 PM »
Congradulations on the baby boy   :clapper:  
You might give Kevin Evans a PM, his name on Tradgang is Rooster1. Kevin makes some fine knives. Enjoy all the time you can with TJ...time gets away.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2010, 01:50:00 PM »
What a cool idea!  You have some special times in your future, that's for sure, and that moment will be one of them.
Be sure to visit the knife makers forum here.  That's where a bunch of very talented knife makers hang out and they love to show their stuff.  You have time to decide, so enjoy the shopping!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2010, 01:54:00 PM »
I don't have any of Karl's blades but I'll second a vote for Doug Campbell and throw Jeff Springer's name into the ring too ("Tippit" here on Tradgang). Part of the fun of owning some really nice stuff is being able to gift it to my sons as they grow into them.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2010, 02:05:00 PM »
Lots of good smiths on here.  Watch the knife making section and when you see something you like send them a pm.  $600 will buy you two nice knives.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline imskippy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2010, 02:19:00 PM »
Excellent idea. Just wander on down to the knife crafters section you will see many accomplished makers there. Doug, Karl, Lin and a whole list of others that would certainly fit the bill. Good luck and let us know what you decide. Skippy
Zona Custom T/D #1
Zona Custom R/D L/B #1

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©