INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Handle Construction  (Read 777 times)

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
Handle Construction
« on: March 04, 2010, 01:33:00 PM »
On the other thread we talked about starting one on handle construction. What I think we should do is look at some examples of different types, but not get hung up on technical names so much.

The main thing is that one understands the general way in which a certain handle construction as well as choice of materials will assist in designing the desirable qualities into the knife. This can be done with function in mind. In other words, balance (literal weight distribution), strength, etc.  It can also work to just make the knife look more pleasing visually by providing a visual balance between the blade and the handle. OK that's enough of that.

Most of us are familiar with what is called "full tang construction". I dont have many examples of those. I just never made many. So I'll start by showing a "Through Tang" knife. The tang has been extended through the handle and a butt cap and attached to a fastener, in this case a ringed finial. Being a small knife where strength is not as much of a consideration as looks, I was wanting the maple to be uncluttered and still have a place to attach a lanyard.

I know some of you make a knife that is similarly constructed, so let's see em. Then we can go to another if you like. Lin
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline kbaknife

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Handle Construction
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 01:59:00 PM »
Lin, beautiful example.
That is, without a doubt, my preferred method of assembly, with or without a butt cap.
The tightening of the finial "pulls" everything toward the guard shoulders and renders it all integral to itself.
I think that adds to the strength of the knife.
It also leaves no "compromises" to the knife handle, such as pins or bolts which can propagate cracks, and/or environmental "leaks".
On larger knives, one can add thicker butt caps to add butt weight when center balance is important.
The combinations of the pieces are limitless and also allows individual creation of the pieces independently of the knife.
Good topic.
When the last deer disappears into the morning mist,
When the last elk vanishes from the hills,
When the last buffalo falls on the plains,
I will hunt mice for I am a hunter and I must have my freedom.
Chief Joseph

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 02:50:00 PM »
Gorgeous knife Lin!

Here's a simple hidden tang or stick tang

The tang extends into a mortise in the handle, but does not go all the way through.  Usually secured with a pin or two for an added mechanical connection.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Steve Nuckels

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 07:39:00 PM »
Hidden tang drop point.

Above, three of my favorite bladesmiths on this forum.

Steve
-------
Potomac Forge
-------
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 07:49:00 PM »
WOW, I am outclassed here.  But I'll play...
These are full tang knives, one tapered and one not tapered.
Tapered tang reduces weight and improves balance.  But untapered tang was needed because of the thin carbon fiber scales on the other knife, tapered tang would have been too thin in the rear.

Brass bolsters make a knife handle heavy, and I normally do not do that.  But, when using a fragile material like mammoth tooth, it allows it to be a working knife and not just a looker.  I dropped a knife like this on concrete, only a ding in the brass.  Without the double bolsters, I would have had cracked or crumbled mammoth tooth (and it is not cheap).

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 07:52:00 PM »
I'm not a huge fan of full tang knives, but they do have their place:

"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 08:24:00 PM »
Those are some good examples. Dan, I like your reasoning. That's exactly what I was talking about. That said, I have avoided Mammoth Tooth myself, because of it's brittle, but you got that covered with the bolsters. Good job.

A note about the weight of the bolsters. You can drill lightening holes on the inside of the bolsters where they dont show before you mount them up. You probably already do that though. Lin
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 09:15:00 PM »
Usually for hidden tang knives I drill the mortise undersized and fit with small files and a small planemaker's float (where the He** did I put that thing anyway?!), but for this one the mortise wasn't drilled.  

The mortise is formed between the center lam and the scales. This is also how you would do a coke-handle bowie with a big double guard, but instead of a wood the center section would be steel.  You'll have people wondering how you got the guard on the knife with all the steel below it! LOL!

On full tang knives you can also drill out the tang to reduce weight, making it look like a skeleton.  That also aids in the epoxy holding the whole thing together.

Offline kbaknife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 11:47:00 AM »
Handle assembly ala Andersen Forge:

When the last deer disappears into the morning mist,
When the last elk vanishes from the hills,
When the last buffalo falls on the plains,
I will hunt mice for I am a hunter and I must have my freedom.
Chief Joseph

Offline Montauks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 01:22:00 PM »
great post I admire them all    :)
What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset.

Crowfoot, Blackfoot warrior and orator

Offline mater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 01:56:00 PM »
You guys are really artist. Dan, I love those hump back drop points you make. Im going to have one of them some day.  Mark

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2010, 09:33:00 AM »
OK here's another type, the frame handle. Jerremy, I believe this is what you were refering to. This type will alow the maker to have options as to weight distribution, limited scale thickness, texture, etc. It's almost unlimited.

The tang is a stick tang going into a "U" shaped frame that surrounds the tang and to which the scales attach. The maker has to be aware if the tendency to get the handles way too heavy with all the metal in it. Lightening holes are necessary to not have it feel like a boat anchor. That will take planning. This is where a good drawing helps. Here is a finished knife patterned after an 1840's W&S Butcher knife.

Here is the patterns I used for the blade and frame. Notice the drawing.

The frame handle in this knife is mechanically bound to the blade. Can you tell me how?   :)  Lin

ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28

Offline JohnHV

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2010, 10:15:00 AM »
Ok, I'll guess.

Is the blade soldered to the steel spacer?  Did you also solder the butt cap to the spacer?
John H.V.
Bent Arrow Forge, LLC
TBG, NGTA, TGMM
"our hearts have heard the low whistle of the flying arrow and the sweet hum of the bowstring singing..." S. Pope

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2010, 11:41:00 AM »
Nope, good guess. No solder at all in this knife. Lin
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2010, 11:45:00 AM »
Key holes in the guard that the frame goes into. locking into place with the scales.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline KHALVERSON

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2010, 11:46:00 AM »
lin
is that u frame a press fit over the tang
kevin

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2010, 11:49:00 AM »
Nope, but that's an interesting thought. I did get the fit pretty close to help line up the frame with the blade's center. Lin
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2010, 12:19:00 PM »
Hey Lin, still in HI but I'm going to guess the pins holding that name plate go thru into the tang... I love frame handles   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  

Also I asked Craig if he was the one who got your hammer but it was another Craig I've yet to meet...
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline Wampus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2010, 12:46:00 PM »
Or maybe a hidden pin/bolt behind the plate?

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2010, 01:17:00 PM »
I'm glad your back Doug. I hope yall had a great time.

Close Doug, but Wampus hit the nail on the head. A pin through the handle and tang. The escutcheon plates are held on by the small pins. I domed the heads in another plate and poked them out from the back and roughed them up and epoxied them into the handle. Lin
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©